Kissing a Psiren

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Kissing a Psiren

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Katydid 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

flanl3

There are a lot of different sounds happening at the same time in the audience reaction when Lister kisses the Psiren. I’m aware that I already said this, but it seemed so important that it was worth saying twice.

Ben Saunders

Didn’t you already say this?

bloodteller

were the Psirens aliens, or just GELFs? i don’t remember at all if the episode confirms it or not.

it’s like in DNA where they say the ship is not of ‘earth construction’ but don’t go into detail as to if that means aliens built it or not.

Pete Part Three

No aliens in Red Dwarf. Dialogue mentions several times that they’re GELFs.

International Debris

The DNA ship has always been a mild niggle for me. Everything about it seems very distinctly alien.

pi r squared

What is the actual extent of the “no aliens” badge? Is it that nothing shown in the show is alien, or that aliens do not exist in the Red Dwarf universe full stop? I get that the GELFs, Simulants, viruses etc. are all of Earth descent, but things that are referred to – such as the pan-dimensional liquid beast from the Mogodon complex that attacked them on Christmas Day – seem distinctly alien to me. So too the Vidal Beast of Sharmut 2, although admittedly that’s Series VII and I don’t know if the rules have changed since then. You would also argue the Universe in Krysis is ‘alien’ by any definition of the word.

Dave

The DNA ship has always been a mild niggle for me. Everything about it seems very distinctly alien.

I always understood that it was an Earth ship that had been transformed beyond recognition by the unbridled and irresponsible use of the DNA-altering machine.

GlenTokyo

Same Dave. Also not of Earth construction could just mean made on Titan or something, it’s clear in Legion that other planets have different cultures, Jovian boogle hoops, Mercurian boomerang spoon etc

Could also be Kryten is just talking out of his arse since he’s probably only remained in contact with Earth for a couple of centuries after creation, so it might just be after his time, but I choose the ‘transmogrified beyond recognition’ explanation, as it goes with the double dog head fella later.

The pan dimensional liquid beast from the mogadon cluster, Vidal beast are questionable though to me though. Though I suppose if humans made the polymorph and can cross dimensions then they could make a beast that can cross dimensions which they fired off into deep space.

Pete Part Three

>Is it that nothing shown in the show is alien, or that aliens do not exist in the Red Dwarf universe full stop?

The show seemed like eager in the early years to reinforce the fact that, despite Rimmer’s yearnings, every time they encounter something, it originates (indirectly or otherwise from Earth). Simulants, GELFs, Holograms, highly evolved animals with Earth origins; they all seem a way of sticking to the no-Aliens rule.

The mentions of other creatures are deliberating as silly-sounding as possible, without the need to specify their origins.

Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers explicitly states no aliens, of course…but that’s the novels.

Pete Part Three

>The show seemed like eager

Pretend there’s, like, an edit button too.

bloodteller

is the universe in krysis technically an alien? he’s not from earth, surely.

International Debris

I always understood that it was an Earth ship that had been transformed beyond recognition by the unbridled and irresponsible use of the DNA-altering machine.

Although this is a possibility, there’s no reference to it being able to alter anything other than DNA (indeed, Kryten is only altered because his brain is part organic). So how on Earth does a spaceship get altered? Does a ship have DNA?

GlenTokyo

Red Dwarf has ship wide bioorganic networking so why not. Also, long shot but would wood be organic, it was once part of a living organism like the curry and Rimmer’s dandruff, maybe it was a tasteful oak spaceship? Or just a wooden/ organic by product.

Kryten being part organic seems to suggest that humans managed to make synthetic brain matter for computation pretty well, so why not use that to run a ship too.

Warbodog

The Universe in Krysis claims “I’ve only ever created one lousy, stupid planet with intelligent life.” So it’s confirmed there are no smart aliens. Apart from The Universe, which is an alien.

Jawscvmcdia

Who invented the no aliens rule? Was it Doug or Rob?

flanl3

Was it Rob Doug or Grant Naylor?

Dave

(played by Robert Llewellyn)

Katydid

Grob Dougler.

Ben Saunders

Dub Grant

International Debris

Grub Antlor

Pete Part Three

I’m thinking it was Rob, who didn’t want a funny robot either. Seems like the “No Aliens” rule was a way of keeping away from similar Sci-fi tropes.

International Debris

To be fair, can you imagine how shit it would have been if they’d introduced a robot as a main character?

Ben Paddon

Why did you turn one opinion into two posts, though?

Katydid

He’d probably be all “THA BLEEEW MIJIT IS LODED.”

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.