Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Kochanski in christmas Who!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    thomasaevans
    Participant

The girl playing Lilly in Doc Who tonight was the young kochanski from series 8.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I hadn’t even noticed…I’ve just checked IMDB and according to that, she’s 19 years old. She didn’t look it!

Ridley
    Participant

Young Kochanski was weeks ago. We’re far more concerned at the moment about the quite hideous thing that’s happened to Moffat.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Shit! Missed that….

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

Why do i suddenly feel like a Vimto?

thomasaevans
    Participant

Ah it was abismal was It not?

Stabbim the Skutter
    Participant

I thought it was miles better than last year’s Christmas special. Though that’s not saying much; having a cactus shoved up your arse would be miles better than last year’s Christmas special.

Jake Bullet
    Participant

I thought she grew up to take part in the Turkish entry for the Eurovision song contest

si
    Participant

Agreed, much better than last year’s special – I couldn’t connect with it last year. Tonight, it took a little while to get going, but the second half of it was great. Some lovely visuals, and, of course, great…well, you know, at the end.

Shame we’ve now got to wait til next Autumn for more, but with new Who and new Dwarf, next autumn is going to be rather fabulous.

thomasaevans
    Participant

Nah… not great at all sorry. It’s so frustraiting having to defend a show your so passionate about to others who continually say It’s no good anymore. Ahem.

Roll on Dwarf for a true return to form.

John Hoare
    Participant

Not impressed at all. Mawkish, and I’m uncomfortable with the show bringing back someone’s dead father when in real life there are children watching who have no hope of that.

srmcd1
    Participant

I was a little relieved that Gillan and Darvill were not included in the opening credits, and Claire Skinner was. I’m of the belief that they shouldn’t have gotten star billing for ‘Closing Time’, while James Corden should’ve.

Not as good as last year’s, but still enjoyable all around. Nice simple story for the holidays. Hopefully this’ll shut up all those people complaining about the show being “too complicated” for awhile. And kudos for finding tolerable child actors.

Best line: “Just do what I always do: hold on tight and pretend it’s a plan!”

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I thought it was lovely, and you’re all fucks.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I liked it. A very simplistic, perhaps underdeveloped, story but compared to the excesses of Season 6, that was something of a relief. Not as great or as smart as A Christmas Carol (leave it alone; it was brilliant), but perfectly fine for a Xmas special and better than The Runaway Bride, Voyage of the Damned and The Next Doctor (which hit all the right buttons but was totally derailed by the Cybermen).

Alexander Armstrong and Bill Bailey were both wasted though. Regarding the dead father; there should have been ambiguity there that we never known his original fate and it wouldn’t have felt like such a cheat that he hadn’t died because history had been changed.

In agreement, with the girl’s age. I’d have guessed 15 at the most!

Ridley
    Participant

I didn’t consider that the father had died, I thought he was sent whatever number of days into the future. My understanding was that the telegram was sent because he disappeared going into the time vortex.

Didn’t dislike the episode but for me the I-don’t-know-what is missing from Moffat episodes these days.

thomasaevans
    Participant

The father didn’t die at anypoint of the story. Thatwas the point.

thomasaevans
    Participant

…and what a waste of Bill Bailey. The child actors were very good I agree.

ChrisM
    Participant

I largely liked the story. I came to it with some trepidation that it would be a rip-off of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, so was glad that while it certainly homages that story, – I liked Doctor’s reference to his Tardis as a wardrobe for example, and no doubt the Doctor utilised it to create the portal – it had it’s own story to tell.

Spoilers:

I think I would have preferred it if they hadn’t saved the father though. I know that probably comes across as cold, but I actually think it would have been more powerful to have a bitter-sweet ending.

The whole business with the souls of the trees escape made little sense. “We need a human woman to escape, but once we’re off the ground we can fly across the universe all by ourselves, etc, etc.” Beside you’d think that beings that can grow a tower and a space ship could create a more direct control interface, but I’m probably being too logical in a story that was, ultimately, magical and no bad thing. I’d have preferred it if they’d found a way to stop the acid rain and save the trees, but maybe that would be a bit too predictable.

I agree, Bill Bailey was underused. I loved the setting and overall concept of the sentient Christmas Trees and the king and queen though.

Overall good, but far from perfect. It had that lovely Christmassy feeling though, and I’m a bit sentimental at heart.

Alex
    Participant

I’m surprised by people saying that they really didn’t like last years as I thought that was easily the best of the Christmas Specials. This years however I just really couldn’t get excited about. Some nice little touches, but in general just largely forgettable. I’ll give it a rewatch in a few days time and see if I feel differently, but at the moment that’s my least favourite Moffat script.

redhead85
    Participant

I much preferred last year’s offering to this year’s…..

SPOILERS

….but the Pond/tears ending was utterly, wonderfully Christmasy.

ChrisM
    Participant

Was last year’s the Christmas Carol one with the flying fish? (I ask because it’s scary how fast time seems to fly past as I get older.)

If so, I agree. It was a wonderful episode, although I’d have preferred something more alien than that shark. Great story involving a time travel related plot, in a Dickensian setting with a strong Christmassy feeling. And of course a feel good factor spiced with sadness. I like my Christmas stories like that*, big girl’s blouse that I am.

*Within reason.

thomasaevans
    Participant

I don’t think i was concentrating when watching last years… but as I remember It… certainly far better than this years.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>The father didn’t die at anypoint of the story. Thatwas the point.

I get that. But did we see much of the contents of the telegram? Was the father reported as “missing, presumed dead” or just “dead”. Because it’s never explicitly stated either way, people would be lead to believe he ~originally~ died. It could be seen as being a bit of a cheat; leading to problems like John had with it.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I think it may have worked better if they had played a bit more mystery to the Father’s original fate than they did. If at the beginning they had shown him seeing and flying into a bright light, the ending would have more palatable for me.

I think we were deliberately lead to believe he had died and I think it would have been better if we hadn’t been.

ChrisM
    Participant

I think it may have worked better if they had played a bit more mystery to the Father’s original fate than they did. If at the beginning they had shown him seeing and flying into a bright light, the ending would have more palatable for me.

But wouldn’t that have given away the twist? I mean, I wasn’t exactly surprised anyway, as we never actually saw him shot down, but ‘flying into a glowing light’ would have pretty much let us know we’d see him again.

Not that I’m a fan of that particular twist as I said above. (I think he should have stayed dead or at least missing.), but if you’re going to do it you might as well do it properly. To be fair, I think they did.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Yeah, seeing the flash of white in the first look at Father’s plane going down would have been too obvious.

thomasaevans
    Participant

I’ve spoken to a lot of friends who all completely condemn the episode. I’m with them. I remember when I used to bang on about Moffatt not having done one single bad episode. Those days are definitely gone.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Regular series wise I don’t think he has had a bad episode. He’s weakness appears to be Christmas ones. Last years felt underwhelming, as did this one. That said I don’t think it’s anywhere as bad as it’s being made out to be.

Ridley
    Participant

I wouldn’t say he’s had a bad episode at all.

His plots aren’t as tight as they used to be but I don’t get the feeling of not giving a smeg that I had with, say, The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood = Fear Her

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood have grown on me in subsequent viewings, but yeah, it’s easily the worst story of Moffat’s tenure so far.

pfm
    Participant

The end with Amy was great. Other than that, Moffat’s usual patronizing twockfest. The ‘caretaker’? pah!

Where was the great story or any real danger?

thomasaevans
    Participant

I’ll second that.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.