Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Misheard lines

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 476 total)
  • Author
    bloodteller
    Participant

not strictly a misheard line, but since my first series of red dwarf was series V i always assumed lister was bald since he wears that hat for most of the season and craig charles’ hair is really fucking weird in it too. this led to a lot of bizarre childhood drawings in which lister resembled karl pilkington more than craig charles.

Warbodog
    Participant

Misunderstood/uninformed lines: As a kid, I thought Cat saying “if I was dead, you most certainly could not swing me around in here” was a hilariously R@nd0M line, until my (younger) brother informed me that it was a well-known expression. It was nowhere near as funny in context.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

“Brylcreem it’s called” was funny to me in 2001 because my brother had a tub of Brylcreem on his desk at the time. But that was the last time I ever saw a tub of the stuff so I wonder how many people watching for the first time today will get the joke.

Dave
    Participant

When Rimmer in Polymorph notes the abbreviation of the ‘Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society’, I always thought he said SPITONAWRIST.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Isn’t there a bit of history with the subtitles being, well just completely wrong? G&T commentaries go on about it a lot

Oh, shut up, Patrick.

Moonlight
    Participant

“Brylcreem it’s called” was funny to me in 2001 because my brother had a tub of Brylcreem on his desk at the time. But that was the last time I ever saw a tub of the stuff so I wonder how many people watching for the first time today will get the joke.

The real question is why they choose to follow up the line by explaining the joke for the audience, in case they didn’t get it.

NoFro
    Participant

The brylcreem joke is actually great, as predictable as the punchline is. The explanation does completely kill it though.

bloodteller
    Participant

there was a similar line in Pete where they explain about the Little Chef Waitress joke and it just sucks the humour right out of it

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Oh here’s one.

“This is worse than playing away at Leeds!” in Stoke Me A Clipper. For at least the first watches, I heard it as “This isn’t the way it’s supposed to lead”.

Whatever that means.

bloodteller
    Participant

the first time i watched Demons and Angels i thought Cat said “hey guys, they’re gonna be playing our tunes at the Wilbur Awards!” but it turns out it’s “they’re playing our tune; the awooga waltz!”

bloodteller
    Participant

i also used to think rimmer was called “Rimmeire” because Lister pronounces it really oddly in Demons and Angels. on top of that, the line “as was using his uniform as a temporary latrine’ i heard as “using his uniform as a tent of the tree.” it was my first episode of red dwarf though so i think these were understandable mistakes

the first time i watched Demons and Angels i thought Cat said “hey guys, they’re gonna be playing our tunes at the Wilbur Awards!” but it turns out it’s “they’re playing our tune; the awooga waltz!”

To be fair, that line is said at such speed that it’s bloody hard to make it out even when you know what it is.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

The awooga waltz is a fucking brilliant line.

RickLee84
    Participant

Rimmer discovering what shirt tails are for and using his uniform as a temporary latrine… Can holograms shit and piss or are these just elaborate ways of joking that “Rimmer shit/pissed himself” metaphorically rather than physically. If it’s an absure idea that holograms could ever piss or shit, what happens the Mimosian banquet Rimmer eats in Legion?

The digestive process of a hardlight hologram is something I have a feeling Rob and Doug didn’t consider too closely before writing it in. I always assumed it just came out the other end when his inner chamber became ful- no, it’s too weird.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

The first thing Rimmer felt when he became hard light was an extreme and urgent desire to do the fat steaming shit he didn’t have time to do before he died because he was apologising to the captain for killing everyone

Warbodog
    Participant

Naively misunderstood lines: Currently watching Dimension Jump for the first time in a few years (what an ep). I only just got the joke “rubber shares went up this morning.” I used to assume it was something to do with his clothing, and never updated that innocent first impression. 32 years old.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Oh God THAT’S what that means

flanl3
    Participant

Oh no.

bloodteller
    Participant

condoms?

flanl3
    Participant

Either that, dildos, tires, shoes, or bouncy balls.

Or something else I’m missing entirely.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Tyres for his many sports cars

si
    Participant

Two pound black ribbed nobblers.

Dave
    Participant

Until I just looked it up, I genuinely thought Holly was asking Rimmer if he wanted “a ham with your homework”.

Home work ham is very common, I can understand that misunderstanding there.

Dave
    Participant

It’s one of those things I just never questioned. That someone might want a bit of ham with their homework. Which, now that I type it, seems obviously stupid.

bloodteller
    Participant

does the ham come in a sandwich or is it just on its own?

Dave
    Participant

I imagine a full, glazed ham.

Hamish
    Participant

Steamed hams?

Please, don’t hit me.

Warbodog
    Participant

Mistaken identity/Ductpdate: Just remembered that the same younger brother who corrected me about Duct Soup’s dead-cat-swinging reference himself thought that “it’s Princess Leia” was a cheeky nod to the “fact” that Kochanski was played by the same actress as Princess Leia from off of Star Wars 20 years earlier. I WON THAT.

Moonlight
    Participant

Rimmer discovering what shirt tails are for and using his uniform as a temporary latrine… Can holograms shit and piss or are these just elaborate ways of joking that “Rimmer shit/pissed himself” metaphorically rather than physically. If it’s an absure idea that holograms could ever piss or shit, what happens the Mimosian banquet Rimmer eats in Legion?

I’m pretty sure we had an entire thread about this before.

RickLee84
    Participant

Was that discussion nominated for Hall of Fame status?

Plastic Percy
    Participant

The first time I heard it, I thought Lister’s “Fat Bastardoria” was “Fat Bast-at-the-Rear”.

bloodteller
    Participant

the first time i heard low rimmer’s speech i always heard it as “i’m going to lash you to within an inch of your life….and then….i’m going to hurt you”.

tbh i think it sounds more threatening that way, him saying he’s going to have sex with lister isn’t nearly as sinister

bloodteller
    Participant

demons & angels is really one that you have to watch twice to understand what everyone is saying i guess

Warbodog
    Participant

“You never had the right set of pens for your genie drawing.”

Okay, I knew that wasn’t the actual word, and it was just something similar-sounding that I always allowed to pass over my head like some of the cultural references. Apparently “G & E drawing.” I don’t know what that is.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

What episode is that from? What’s a good+e drawing?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The line is from Me²

I think G.E stands for General Electric. And G.E drawings are very detailed diagrams of trains.

I think.

Warbodog
    Participant

Looks like it’s in the first novel’s adaptation too, so obviously a familiar enough reference in the late 80s. Either that, or Rimmer’s exam prep involves doing a drawing of a genie.

NoFro
    Participant

I’ve seen “ham with your homework” mentioned as a misheard line a few times. Never heard it that way myself but it’s interesting that several people have.

Warbodog
    Participant

“Lister to Red Dwarf, we have an Armitzvah complete smegpot.”

Ben Saunders
    Participant

When I was young I didn’t know that the word “shoals existed” so I thought they were just pronouncing “shites” really weirdly.

Dave
    Participant

Goldfish shites nibbling at my tights?

“Lister to Red Dwarf, we have an Armitzvah complete smegpot.”

Yes! It took a long time for me to work that out.

bloodteller
    Participant

i think it’s “our midst” isn’t it?

NoFro
    Participant

It is.

I don’t think I’ve had any of these confusions…

I think my version was “Lister to Red Dwarf, we have Armizvah’d a complete smegpot”, as in a term to mean they’ve been saddled with. A well known term.

bloodteller
    Participant

i thought it was bar mitzvah

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

The first time I heard it, I thought Lister’s “Fat Bastardoria” was “Fat Bast-at-the-Rear”.

I heard it as “The Fat Bastard Of The Year”.

Ridley
    Participant

Lister does call Chen “Ched” in Back in the Ren, right?

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 476 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.