Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum New article

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SkyAndSun
    Participant
    Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

It’s an article about Andrew! Blimey. Did you ever think the Times would be writing about you, sir?

Ellard returns and explains how in a scene where Kryten has to get inside a postbox, he suggested that the script be altered from the original plan of the robot using a laser to burn a hole. ?I said: ?no, no, no – he’s a Swiss Army robot. He’ll have a hand with a skeleton key that comes out of it’. And then you get on set and realise that someone has had to build a hand with a key coming out of it just because I suggested it,? he says, almost swooning. ?I love it.?

Lol. I’ve heard that story from the other point of view… ;-)

pfm
    Participant

It’s somewhat comforting to know that Andrew has had influence on proceedings. Years of listening to people on here must have had some effect on how certain decisions were made. Bridging the gap between fans and producer? Or would that be assuming too much.

Though one thing I like is that, while BtE is obviously going out of its way to feel like Dwarf, it’s not pandering to fans TOO much. I reckon VIII suffered from that. VIII is IMO the only time the show took a backwards step. VII may not be everyone’s favourite series but it was a bold step into the unknown, advancement and innovation, just like I-VI had been. VIII feels a bit like ‘shit! we’d better get back to what we know’. BtE seems, in essence, where things should always have gone post-VII. I always said I wished Doug had gone further with VII, ditched the laugh track completely (along with many of the forced moments designed to trigger that laugh track), gone even more dramatic, gone more like Last Human.

ChrisM
    Participant

I always said I wished Doug had gone further with VII, ditched the laugh track completely (along with many of the forced moments designed to trigger that laugh track), gone even more dramatic, gone more like Last Human.

Unfortunately it would lose a lot of fans that way. I’m not one of them though.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the comedy, but I think the show could work with a more serious focus. However, I get the impression people* tend to like what they’re used to, and they see changes as negative. (Drastic changes at least. Gradual changes, like between series 3-6 they can usually deal with.)

The interesting thing is, if the reverse happened, if a more serious tone were there from the start and it suddenly became more funny, more ‘sitcom’, I wonder if people would complain about that too. “Oooh, it’s getting silly”, etc.

Not that I want to lose the comedy mind. A good story with some humour would do me fine. A good story with a lot of humour would be brilliant!

*and I accept this is a generalisation, not everyone, certainly.

pfm
    Participant

I’m not saying I’d be averse to a return to a classic sitcom format. Though if it did I would hope it would still try to be different to the old series’, similar to how II is different to III.

Turk Thrust
    Participant

> I always said I wished Doug had gone further with VII, ditched the laugh track completely (along with many of the forced moments designed to trigger that laugh track), gone even more dramatic, gone more like Last Human.

I don`t really disagree too much.

I haven`t read Last Human for many years but when I did I thought it was certainly much better than Series VII. NOt perfect by a long way and some of the characterization was off but the tone was infinitely preferable. Series VII does have many things shoehorned in to try to make it conform to the sitcom standard I think.

With BtE, we haven`t really seen any comedy at all in the trailers but maybe that won`t be such a bad thing. I would rather that the new shows had few jokes rather than bad jokes and I am very happy that the style has changed since Series VIII. In that series Doug clearly tried to crowbar gags in even when they didn`t fit (the Nostrilomo gag being 1 of a hundred examples) and it had a negatie impact on the show imo.

Hopefully in BtE any jokes will fit in with the story and be true to the characters.

SkyAndSun
    Participant

I think BTE should play to the writer’s strengths. If Doug’s strengths tend towards comedy drama more than sitcom, that is what he should write. He shouldn’t try to be Grant Naylor.

Rad
    Participant

Red Dwarf is on the front of the TV section of the Sunday Times Culture magazine – it’s a huge picture. It gets the same treatment in the Sunday Herald (Scotland).

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Scannings please!

Rad
    Participant

Here we go. My scanner is a bit dirty.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8929/dc2d.jpg

Rad
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.