Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum New computer thoughts

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    locusceruleus
    Participant

The interesting concept of Pree and her programming dictating that she facilitates events unfolding as they would under the senior officer’s command got me thinking.

There would be a lot of potential in having Hollister revived as the ship’s computer. Mac’s work in series 8 was one of it’s few strengths. Him being revived somehow to facilitate Red Dwarf’s return to Earth would be easy to work in, plus giving him command of the ship while having no physical presence would provide comedy opportunities in the vein of ‘Captain’s Office’.

If it’s true that Holly is considered largely redundant as Kryten took over exposition, having an authority figure computer – who could also dictate missions, directives r.e. derelicts and life forms stumbled upon etc. would be an interesting idea. Or so I think at least.

Just an idle thought anyhow. Would be curious as to what the rest of you would make of the idea of a Compu Hollister.

CackThosePants
    Participant

I love Karl Pilkington to do it to be honest – but it’s an interesting suggestion. I just hope Holly (Hattie) comes back – yes she is pushing 50 but they can tweek it so she is more fuzzy in post….

*when I said fuzzy I meant her face.

NoFro
    Participant

> I’d love Karl Pilkington to do it to be honest.

“You always hear it in meetings. Rimmer would be going on about how his nickname at school was Ace and I would just turn up on a screen and say “Bullsmeg!… You’re talking bullsmeg!”

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I’d love Karl Pilkington to do it to be honest.

So long as “it” is fling himself from a tall building, then I agree.

CackThosePants
    Participant

“So long as “it” is fling himself from a tall building, then I agree.”

i think he already did that in his Idiot Abroad series.

What’s wrong with Pilkington’s? Maker of fine glass, them.

Jo
    Participant

i think he already did that in his Idiot Abroad series.

ENCORE!

CackThosePants
    Participant

> ENCORE!

Lightning never strikes twice!

A Bailey
    Participant

I still wish they had brought Holly back, unless Hattie was offered and turned it down. Some minor lines could have gone her way, and scenes like the dentists chair could have used Holly instead of a new character.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Some minor lines could have gone her way, and scenes like the dentists chair could have used Holly instead of a new character.

As much as I love Hattie and the character of Holly, it’s obvious that Doug hasn’t decided on having the character be an integral part of the crew yet, if ever now.

If Holly was dealing with the stuff in the dentists, he/she would supercede the need for Pree in the first place.

I am hoping that Doug decides to bring Holly back, but in an organic way not like a Series VII/VIII-like shoehorn affair.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Some minor lines could have gone her way, and scenes like the dentists chair could have used Holly instead of a new character.

As much as I love Hattie and the character of Holly, it’s obvious that Doug hasn’t decided on having the character be an integral part of the crew yet, if ever now.

If Holly was dealing with the stuff in the dentists, he/she would supercede the need for Pree in the first place.

I am hoping that Doug decides to bring Holly back, but in an organic way not like a Series VII/VIII-like shoehorn affair.

JamesTC
    Participant

You can say that again, Danny.

(You’re going to use admin powers to delete your repeat posts and make me look like an idiot aren’t you?)

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

As I read that, I was already starting to…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

To be brutally frank, after Beat The Geek and that godawful Life in Lamé, I think Hattie would need to work on her performance, as she seemingly forgotten how she did it 20 years ago.

Are you implying that Hattie Hayridge has forgotten how to ‘be’ Hattie Hayridge?

I think he means how to be Holly?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yes, I realise that was confusing what with her playing herself in Beat The Geek and Life in Lamé.

Oh. Wait.

Phil
    Participant

>If Holly was dealing with the stuff in the dentists, he/she would supercede the need for Pree in the first place.

That’s got my vote.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

“I am hoping that Doug decides to bring Holly back, but in an organic way not like a Series VII/VIII-like shoehorn affair.”

I love Hattie and I know the chances of Norm coming back are extremely slim, but would anyone object if they recast and got somebody completely different in? Worked before, could work again…

I always wanted Bill Bailey as Holly.

As for Hattie, I always assumed she didn’t play Holly, just herself as she doesn’t seem much different in real life.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I always thought Tony Hawks would fit the bill as well.

fozzibear1
    Participant

That is a really interesting idea Danny, hadnt thought of that myself before but now you’ve mentioned it I agree Hawks interpretation of Holly could be very interesting indeed

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Arthur Smith as well, it seems to me that Holly needs to be of a certain generation of comedian, that were around in the heyday. It’s not a ‘hey remember this bloke’ it’s more of an attitude and style of comedy.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Though i still think Brian Blessed should be in Dwarf somewhere, just so he can be a guest at DJ…

Jonsmad
    Participant

Could Brian Blessed be a guest on the Basis of being in that film with chris barrie where they steal a luna craft thingy, with martin kemp.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Is Brian Blessed in ‘Back In Business’? I haven’t watched it.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Yes, he was in ‘Back In Business,’ played Trevor Pilkington.

fozzibear1
    Participant

Arthur Smith as well, it seems to me that Holly needs to be of a certain generation of comedian, that were around in the heyday. It’s not a ‘hey remember this bloke’ it’s more of an attitude and style of comedy.

Agreed and must be someone for whom dead-pan is their natural performance style, the number of cameos i’d like to see unfortunately would be too expensive.

Fry guesting as a whoesque timelord (played in the vein of Melchett or perhaps the conservative politician from A bit of Fry and Laurie)

Lister served by Atkinson ( resurecting his slightly overemphasized Indian Waiter)

Bill Bailey as a GELF Judge (Last Human style)

Nick Frost would probably be a good GELF also

In anInterview with Australias Andrew Denton, Billy Connolly expressed some interest in the show as an example of (i think the actual words were something like) wonderfully sublime silliness or something along those names. (as all of us fans of the Bigun know Connolly rarely uses silly in the sence of an insult)

As I said I realise it will never happen

A) these guys can command payrates similar to an entire episodes budget

B) such high profile guests would make it very hard to keep the focus on the main cast, especially given most of those mentioned can quite easily steal an entire scene without even really meaning too

But still a guy can dream lol

NoFro
    Participant

But if they wanted to do the show/were fans they may not charge so much. I doubt any of those guys are in desperate need of money. If they could fit it into their schedules is of course another thing entirely.

Carlito
    Participant

> such high profile guests would make it very hard to keep the focus on the main cast, especially given most of those mentioned can quite easily steal an entire scene without even really meaning too

The show has had plenty of high profile guests in very brief cameos over the years, and it never detracted from the main characters.

fozzibear1
    Participant

You both make good points NoFro and Carlito

Hopefully if ever approached I hope these guys are willing to do mates rates, and many of the cast and crew are actually the right age and background to OBN connections to several of them so fingers crossed

Restricting them to very minor cameos probably would help with the focus issues.

Hard to argue a point when you actually really want the other guy to be right LOL

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.