NEW ZEALAND AD.

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum NEW ZEALAND AD.

This topic contains 63 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Pete Part Three 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 64 posts - 1 through 64 (of 64 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Paul Muller

Has anyone else seen this? Or am I just a bit thick and it’s quite well known?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BDlKglaC450

Dave

It must’ve been filmed with the USA PBS ones, but no I’ve never seen that before.

It’s pretty laughless isn’t it?

Paul Muller

It is. But nice to see anyway. Wierd mixture of various series’ sets and costumes as well.

thomasaevans

It doesnt matter how much to put onto the dvd’s… stuff always goes astray! :D

Phil

GNP just held it back for the next release, just like they did with the series one and two doccos. Hell, they didn’t even invite Rob Grant to contribute anything until Bodysnatcher! Also, they said you guys look like dorks.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

nowt we didn’t already know.

Paul Muller

“GNP just held it back for the next release”

Red Dwarf: The New Zealand TV advert Collection.

thomasaevans

Red Dwarf:Just the Tott – A collection of crap we missed from the previous releases…includes an extended version of ‘Only The Good’ :D

John Hoare

G&T Admin

Never seen it before. Great find.

“I’m only going to say this once – so leave those sheep alone and pay attention.”

Sorry, but I laughed. A lot.

And that list of shows at the end is fantastic – I love every one of them. If all of them are on on one night, that’s an incredible night of telly.

That Coca-Cola sponsorship logo feels ALL WRONG, though.

Ben Paddon

Red Dwarf:Just the Tott – A collection of crap we missed from the previous releases?includes an extended version of ?Only The Good? :D

“This brand new extended edition includes updated CGI, additional scenes edited out for time, brand new scenes seamlessly inserted (featuring original artwork and all of the characters voiced by Chris Barrie), as well as incorporating all three endings in one.”

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

> Red Dwarf:Just the Tott

Tott?

Andrew

In all seriousness, I think we’ve upset some of the (let’s face it) stupid people with Just the Smegs.

The ‘Just the Shows’ sets get no complaints, really – people get they’re a vanilla double-dip. If you’re a ‘fan’, they’re not what you’re after. It’s a beginner’s box, something to replace your VHSs or leave you less reliant on Dave repeats.

But the Smegs gets a lot more slapping around (not here, I don’t mean here). Which I can only assume is down to people feeling that it’s not a ‘Just the..’ release at all, but rather part of the I-VIII/Bodysnatcher set. Something I can only attribute to the fact that the links are on there. Yet these are the same links that the same complainants describe as pointless and unfunny.

Now, if that’s the case, what’s the problem with the release? What’s wrong with the Smegs specials being compiled for newbies as a Christmas packages, available for a measly tenner?

Seriously, the number of people buying for the links alone – they must be barely in double figures, and mostly working for G&T.

Phil

>I think we?ve upset some of the (let?s face it) stupid people

You said it yourself, Andrew, and better than I ever could. “Stupid people” are the ones upset by this.

And since you know that you can’t please all of the people all of the time, the best you can even hope for is that only the stupid ones will be displeased.

So…with that in mind…all in all a 100% successful trip.

Nakrophile

> Tott?

Tott.

Ben Paddon

We’ll soon see how totty it is, laddie! The quarantine period’s nearly up!

Bastard!

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

> Tott?

> Tott.

> We?ll soon see how totty it is, laddie! The quarantine period?s nearly up!

> Bastard!

I’m glad SOMEONE got it…

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

> Seriously, the number of people buying for the links alone – they must be barely in double figures, and mostly working for G&T.

I bought it because I enjoy watching the outtakes but can’t be arsed to keep switching DVD’s…yes I’m lazy.

Andrew

> I bought it because I enjoy watching the outtakes but can?t be arsed to keep switching DVD?s?yes I?m lazy.

A totally valid choice. They do work best as ‘shows’ of their own.

I suspect we made a rod for our own backs by including certain character-based introduction clips on the DVDs – as soon as you do it once, it’s expected. So the negative rantings are often a veiled way of saying “Why didn’t we get the intros so we could buy this release through choice rather than completism?”

It’s a weird thing with DVD that the perceived validity of a release has become more important than the content. A recent Austin Powers 1 DVD review I read gave it two stars. Despite liking the film a lot. It’s a double-dip release, y’see, with all the content from the old release, plus (I think) one new featurette.

Sure, it’s unnecessary – except in as much as a change of distributor meant the old version couldn’t be directly re-released anyway – but does it makes it a bad DVD? Does it make the film less entertaining? If you don’t have the film yet, is it really a two-star release?

How much context is too much?

thomasaevans

lol…this is a very sensitive place sometimes.

Just the Tott! I thought that was funny!

And as for Just The Smegs… no complaints from me :D

Andrew

> Just the Tott! I thought that was funny!

Sorry. So did I. I just read it right after someone showed me a fairly…idiotic review.

Phil

>a fairly?idiotic review.

Would it be out of line to ask for a link?

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

aye, i’m intrigued as well…

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Yeah, I’m interested to see what these people are saying.

Andrew

Not to stir up trouble, but it was two of the Amazon reviews:

“How many times can you watch the same outtakes? Because not only the VHS releases but the TV broadcast edit will be included. Just to make you feel sure you’re getting everything. Yet there are no additional unreleased outtakes or rushes. It feels like just enough to make sure GNP line their pockets a bit more after the Bodysnatcher DVD comes out in October. Which, in case you didn’t know, is a ?10-15 release padded out with three series of Remastered so that you have to get four discs and pay ?50!! Coming in Spring 2008: “Just the Deleted Scenes”!”

Which fundamentally contradicts itself – they’re pissed off that this set is required by completists to get the links (despite not liking the bloody things), but also pissed off that there’s no new material on there. Which is our offense – including unreleased material, or not including enough? Wouldn’t adding 8 new outtakes simply make us even more evil?

Also, since when are the deleted scenes a justifiably separate release? The Smegs are special in their own right, right?

Finally, where’s the discussion of content? The part of the review that’s actually a review, as opposed to an irritiated “I don’t annna buy this” rant?

Speaking of which, review number two – which is Nick’s:

“A very sizeable percentage of the content on this DVD has already been issued elsewhere and essentially the only ‘new’ material is the character introductions. These aren’t particularly amusing and don’t really make the purchase worthwhile.”

Which I don’t specifically disagree with, beyond liking the links. But it’s not a review of the content. The Just the Shows sets could be reviewed the same way:

“All the episodes on this DVD have already been issued elsewhere and essentially the only ‘new’ material is the static menus. These aren’t particularly amusing and don’t really make the purchase worthwhile.”

How would this be a useful review of four entire series of the show? So, similarly, how is the text above a useful review of two specials that have, previously, always been pretty well regarded?

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

I’m pretty sure I know whose the first review is. It’s just needless huffing and puffing. Every release is justified, but not every release is to everyone’s taste – that seems to get muddled up in the mind of some people who just want to see distaste in everything they look at.

Andrew

Oh yeah, it’s the old NtS post wording. It’s just…I get the need to rant. But on Amazon? Really? Your annoyance stretches to wanting to cost the franchise sales?

Bah!

Phil

>Your annoyance stretches to wanting to cost the franchise sales?

This really and truly bugs me when I see it, because some people will use any non-argument they can think of to dissuade people from buying things they don’t approve of.

Which isn’t fair. For someone to pop up and say the release is “pointless” or some such thing not only makes readers think twice about buying it, but it says precisely nothing about the release, so the reader has no way of knowing if it would actually interest him. Surely plenty of things I enjoy would be declared pointless by certain others. It’s just down to opinion. The problem is that these reviews don’t take opinion into account…they use pointlessness as a fact upon which to hang the rest of their logic.

Obviously there’s nothing wrong with negative reviews…but they should at least explain what about the release doesn’t appeal to them. “I wish this was never produced” does not qualify. “I don’t think the specials are very funny” DOES qualify.

It’s like the Austin Powers example mentioned above. Would it really be a waste of time for somebody to buy it if it’s their first time buying the film? I like Austin Powers, but I don’t own it. Should it be pointless for me to buy it?

People are imbeciles. Amazon reviews are only ever good for a laugh, if that.

Turk Thrust

> How would this be a useful review of four entire series of the show? So, similarly, how is the text above a useful review of two specials that have, previously, always been pretty well regarded?

Well the comments about the character introductions do review that part of the content of the DVD. Other people find them funny which is fine but as I don’t there’s no point in pretending otherwise.

Also, if people haven’t bought the Series DVDs then they will know for themselves that they haven’t seen the material. Me saying that it is available elsewhere isn’t going to put them off from buying it.

I don’t see Just The Show and Just The Smegs as being the same kind of thing. Similar certainly but one contains entirely released material and the other doesn’t.

I do take your point though that I could and probably should have written a couple of lines about whether I find the actual smegs funny.

I think the first line of my review, which you omitted, probably negates the possibility that I’m ‘costing the franchise sales’ anyway as the other reviewer may do.

Pete Part Three

I’d question the point about the Austin Powers review. The rating (2 stars) seems hopelessly misleading (and would benefit from a break-down), I agree, but double-dip reviews are interesting in that they have to serve a secondary purpose; informing buyers of the previous release whether it’s worth double-dipping or, alternatively, informing new buyers which of the two they should go for. The newer release will, more often that not, be more expensive so it may be in the reader’s best interest to seek out the earlier release in a bargain bin.

Andrew

> I do take your point though that I could and probably should have written a couple of lines about whether I find the actual smegs funny.

If only because the outtakes and other footage take up the vast majority of the 150 minute DVD. A couple of lines is probably the least required for it to qualify AS a review! :-)

> I think the first line of my review, which you omitted,

Yeah, in a way I’m the one who’s been a little unreasonable.

> probably negates the possibility that I?m ?costing the franchise sales? anyway as the other reviewer may do.

Well, okay, if we must, let’s look at that: “Grant Naylor Productions have been responsible for issuing some truly superb Red Dwarf DVDs. This though, in my opinion, is not one of them.”

Skipping the obvious – this is still condemning of the Smegs release at the point where people purchase – which superb DVDs might the reviewer be writing about? Well, let’s click their profile and find out…

…ah-ha! Reviews of Seires VII and Series VIII. Splendid, this’ll shed some light on the superbness!

Two stars. Each. Hmm, doesn’t sound superb.

Now, to be fair these are, at least, reviews of the show content, which you don’t like much. And that’s fair enough. Plus the quick final line of bonus content praise in the VII review (no such comment in the VIII one) is appreciated. But no reviews of I to VI, interestingly. Which suggests that Amazon’s review space is being used as an excuse to bash things about Red Dwarf that you don’t like, rather than as a place for balanced and measured opinion. Why nothing positive? Why no superbness?

Having read your various DVD-based posts over the months, I’m not surprised exactly – 90% of DVD mentions bemoan something – but I don’t think you get to reclaim much high ground based on that first line. The quantity you’ve written online comdemning massively outweighs any praise that’s been put out there.

Not saying you’re alone in this. But…well, it shows what an uphill struggle it is to get support from some areas of the fanbase.

Ben Paddon

Interestingly, Just the Smegs is the only Dwarf DVD I don’t intend to pick up. I imagine if I were still living in the UK I’d wind up getting it eventually, but it’s not really the sort of thing I can see myself importing. If it gets a reasonably-priced Region 1 release (which is exceedingly unlikely, given the general niche-ness of the content) I may well end up grabbing it, if only because I never owned the “Smeg Ups”/”Smeg Outs” videos.

I faced a similar problem with the Smeg Ups UMD release, which I didn’t buy because although I lived in the UK when it came out, I have a Region 1 PSP, so it won’t play Region 2 UMD-Videos. Otherwise it would’ve been great to have them to watch on the plane…

Turk Thrust

> Yeah, in a way I?m the one who?s been a little unreasonable.

Andrew, this isn’t about anybody being unreasonable.

> But no reviews of I to VI, interestingly. Which suggests that Amazon?s review space is being used as an excuse to bash things about Red Dwarf that you don?t like, rather than as a place for balanced and measured opinion. Why nothing positive? Why no superbness?

Simply because I bought these DVDs much earlier when I wasn’t using Amazon. Nothing more than that.

> Having read your various DVD-based posts over the months, I?m not surprised exactly – 90% of DVD mentions bemoan something – but I don?t think you get to reclaim much high ground based on that first line.

It’s not about reclaiming high ground Andrew. It’s about giving an honest assessment of items so that other people can decide whether they want to buy them or not. Now I personally don’t think that Just The Smegs is a worthwhile purchase. Even if I didn’t already have the smegs on the other DVDs then I wouldn’t buy it. So there is no way that I can give it more than 2 stars. If other people, including yourself, feel differently then they can add their own reviews. That’s what it’s all about isn’t it?

Also, you seem to be implying that fans ought to give opinions that they don’t actually agree with so that people will buy Dwarf merchandise. I very strongly disagree with that.

Phil

>but double-dip reviews are interesting in that they have to serve a secondary purpose; informing buyers of the previous release whether it?s worth double-dipping or, alternatively, informing new buyers which of the two they should go for.

This is actually a very good point, since Amazon is oddly lacking a lot of the time in reporting special features in an easy-to-compare listing. I imagine that will change with time, but if you ask me it should have changed already. Enough people buy DVDs for special features that it’s not out of line to expect them to be itemized.

I usually end up googling for an hour or two trying to read various reviews and see if I can get some idea of whether or not an upgrade is worth while. For amazon to provide a simple list would save the potential buyer a lot of time and would also–what do you know!–have them consulting the very page that will allow them to buy it with a single click.

Ben Paddon

Nick Says…
    Also, you seem to be implying that fans ought to give opinions that they don?t actually agree with so that people will buy Dwarf merchandise. I very strongly disagree with that.

I don’t think Andrew is saying that at all. At least I can’t see it. Can anyone else see it?

Andrew

I think you have to reeeeeeeally want to see it.

Tanya Jones

G&T Admin

And there we have the nub.

thomasaevans

Lets be fair… anyone who’s a fan of Red Dwarf will in their own mind, have decided whether to buy JTS & Bodysnatcher or not. I wouldn?t take a second of my life to look at the customer reviews. They’re mostly bollocks anyway.

Of all the DVD releases I?ve witnessed and bought, I’ve never thought that GNP have been ripping off fans. To be honest, rewards are deserved for genuine talent. Buying Dwarf merchandise is putting money in the pockets of the team of people back at GNP (probably not much granted), and I like that thought. The franchise has given alot to me, and I repay that with support. There are some products I don?t agree with, but I?m a fan. Aren?t fans are supposed to support their shows?

Andrew, If you decided to re-release all the Dwarf DVD’s in a box with a shiny plastic badge, and an extra smeg or two, I’d still buy the bloody thing. Because Im a fan! FAN! Anyone remember those? Im not kissing ass, Im stating fact.

This franchise deserves support.

Is the release of underpant coat hangers imminent?

Turk Thrust

> This franchise deserves support.

The franchise gets support. The extras on the series DVDs are widely considered to be superb, most people seemed to like Beat The Geek and Bodysnatcher has also been very well received.

Of course people make suggestions about certain things which could have been done differently because that’s what message boards are all about. People make the same type of suggestions about all of the series as well but it doesn’t mean they are anti-Dwarf.

> Andrew, If you decided to re-release all the Dwarf DVD?s in a box with a shiny plastic badge, and an extra smeg or two, I?d still buy the bloody thing. Because Im a fan!

I think you are confused about one thing. The word fan does not translate as meaning somebody who will blindly and unquestioningly buy any piece of merchandise that goes on sale.

I’m sure lots of people will want to pay for the mobisodes, Just The Smegs etc. and will praise them which is fine. But some people might want to criticise them as well. Where’s the problem with that?

Pete Part Three

>I think you are confused about one thing. The word fan does not translate as meaning somebody who will blindly and unquestioningly buy any piece of merchandise that goes on sale.

Completely right. I consider myself to be a fan of the England football team but there not my favourite people at this moment in time and I wont be giving the FA any more money until they deserve it.

thomasaevans

Fair point. But criticism where critisism is due. I dont believe Its due here. Thats my point.

Nick – ‘The franchise gets support. The extras on the series DVDs are widely considered to be superb, most people seemed to like Beat The Geek and Bodysnatcher has also been very well received.’

Out of curiosity… how do you consider the other releases?

As a fan, sureley you would express your view about the plus points of other merchandise? If you are, then thats great. But where some just bad mouth and dont give praise… that I dont agree with.

Nick – ‘The word fan does not translate as meaning somebody who will blindly and unquestioningly buy any piece of merchandise that goes on sale.’

… OH thats what Ive been doing wrong all these years :D Thats your choice, and there’s many items Ive not purchased. BUT sometimes, I would buy something pointless to show my support. End of the day, Dwarf merchandise is Dwarf merchandise. There are many fans who buy EVERYTHING (me not one of them).

I just think your being unfair with your review. You could of been more fair in what you said, being a ‘fan’ and all…

BTW the England Football team changes hands all the time, Red Dwarf doesnt.

Turk Thrust

> Out of curiosity? how do you consider the other releases?

Well I bought all of the Series DVDs and Bodysnatcher which I guess is the thing which anybody can do to support the franchise most. Other than that, I’ve said many times that I like Series 1-6 a lot, like Series 7 & 8 less and think that the extras on the DVDs have been excellent. Obviously, as I said, I’ve made comments about small things on the DVDs that I think could have been better as most other people have too.

> ? OH thats what Ive been doing wrong all these years :D Thats your choice, and there?s many items Ive not purchased. BUT sometimes, I would buy something pointless to show my support. End of the day, Dwarf merchandise is Dwarf merchandise. There are many fans who buy EVERYTHING (me not one of them).

If you want to buy pointless stuff to show your support then that’s great. But my point was that that doesn’t suddenly stop other people from being fans as you previously implied.

> I just think your being unfair with your review. You could of been more fair in what you said, being a ?fan? and all?

Unfortunately I’ve never liked either Smeg Ups or Smeg Outs. I know lots of people do but I don’t. Would it really be fair therefore for me to post a review talking about how much I love them?

Now anybody who does like them is obviously free to post their review here, there or anywhere. Surely rather than complaining about me giving my honest opinion, that would be a better option.

thomasaevans

lol… Im personaly not bothered enough to care. But I thought I’d throw in my opinion.

If you said in your review that you never liked the smeg ups/outs, THAT would of made more sense no?

And I did’nt mean to imply that not buying all merchandise makes you a bad fan. But for me I feel Im showing support. And from my point of view, Red Dwarf (like alot of other shows) needs support. Not because they’re greedy money grabbing gits, but because they genuinley give a shit about fans.

Im done Nick. Thanks for replying back, most would say ‘get lost’. Enjoy your Sunday. I hate arguments, peace to all ganymede readers!

To Tesco’s!

Andrew

> Unfortunately I?ve never liked either Smeg Ups or Smeg Outs. I know lots of people do but I don?t. Would it really be fair therefore for me to post a review talking about how much I love them?

I realise I’ve only made this point seventeen times, but nobody’s suggested anything like this.

One point is that a review should, in majority, cover the CONTENT. Don’t just use the opportunity to vent your spleen. By all means say what you do and don’t like, by all means add context. But where’s the review?

The other point is this: For every line you write about liking something, we get a dozen about what you don’t like. Is it really fair to only pipe up with your opinion when it’s a negative one?

Dave

Wasn’t there a review for Series VII that concentrated only on the easter eggs?

Andrew

No, that’s the next rumoured DVD release…

performingmonkey

‘Just The Sm-eggs’?

I’ll get my coat…

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Sm-EGG, like a bird’s EGG!

Turk Thrust

> The other point is this: For every line you write about liking something, we get a dozen about what you don?t like. Is it really fair to only pipe up with your opinion when it?s a negative one?

That is completely untrue Andrew and I would suggest that the comments that I’ve made about The Bodysnatcher Collection show that.

I’ve praised the remastered doc including your narration, the other 2 docs, Doug and Ed’s commentaries, agreed that the remastered eps look better than they did on video, said that the Bodysnatcher script is impressive and would have made a good early episode, enjoyed Rob and Doug’s commentaries too…

Now that is, as far as I can see, all of the major stuff that’s on the box set.

I’m not sure why my not liking the text tracks and thinking that the group commentary isn’t particularly interesting should count for more than all of the praise that I have given to the content.

> I realise I?ve only made this point seventeen times, but nobody?s suggested anything like this.

I know you may find this hard to believe Andrew but not every post that I make is a reply to your’s. That post was specifically a reply to somebody else as it clearly stated.

> One point is that a review should, in majority, cover the CONTENT.

Haven’t I already said that I should have written about the content??? What’s the point of mentioning that again?

The bottom line is that one short review written on Amazon when I had a few spare minutes before a lecture is hardly going to massively affect sales. If anybody thinks it will then they can always add their own short 5 star review anyway.

Now I have praised the content of the DVDs, and your work on them, many times Andrew. I have specifically done it in this thread and I am doing it again now. I have also explained specifically that many threads on this type of board are about, ‘what you would have done differently’. That’s why people make suggestions and criticisms of everything icluding all of the series. How you can possibly think that that adds up to 12 negative comments for every positive one I don’t know.

Now can we please let this go because it’s not really that important is it.

Andrew

> I know you may find this hard to believe Andrew but not every post that I make is a reply to your?s.

Hence my use of the word ‘nobody’.

Ah, whatever. Badly-written review it may be, but I guess there are far worse out there:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Dwarf-Bodysnatcher-Collection-Remastered/dp/customer-reviews/B000VA3J34

Tanya Jones

G&T Admin

“I’m rating this 3 stars out of 5, mainly because I don’t like the way the BBC held back the two main documentaries for this release. If they’d been included on the earlier sets I wouldn’t even be giving this release a look.”

Breathe, Andrew, breathe…

Ben Paddon

What a complete and utter gibbon that reviewer is.

Ben Paddon

Well, I’ve added my two cents about that review. And this one.

Tanya Jones

G&T Admin

I’m proud of you, Ben.

thomasaevans

Hehe gibbon.

Phil

Good job, Ben. That second review isn’t so bad if you ask me…it’s clear enough the point he is trying to make and it’s not outrageously off the mark. But jeez oh man that first review is a pile of ass.

thomasaevans

Agreed. Its absolute agony waiting for this bloody dvd to come on christmas day!

Seb Patrick

Just quickly on the subject of Amazon (and the latest cretinous “review” of Bodysnatcher) – do you reckon that more than 50% of the reviews on there are by people who don’t actually own the items they’re “reviewing”?

Ben Paddon

I’d have to say so. Certainly I’m aware of negative reviews going up for products that haven’t even shipped yet, usually by people who have some kind of vendetta against the company and/or the author responsible for the product.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

Andrew

http://www.dwscifi.com/reviews/1223-red-dwarf-just-the-smegs

Can’t fault it AS a review, but…damn!

Phil

>Hands up anyone who?s considering buying this? Don?t. Because, trust me, it would be the biggest smeg up you?ve ever made.

That’s some serious venom, there…made doubly shocking by the fact that the reviewer doesn’t actually seem to dislike the show as a whole. I’d have thought negativity that thick belonged only to the totally ignorant…

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

I’m still buying it.

Seb Patrick

I’m not, but only because I blagged a review copy via Den of Geek (nb – I actually turned down Bodysnatcher in that form so that I could get it for Christmas, so I’m still doing my bit). I would probably have bought it at some point otherwise, though – I genuinely think it’s a good little thing to have. I’m far more likely to watch the smeg ups in that format than on the DVDs, anyway, and Robert is genuinely very funny in the links…

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

> ‘Bodysnatchers’ – ‘Red Dwarf single’

These are basic Red Dwarf precepts, Wilkins!

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 64 posts - 1 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.