Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Not a new idea?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Blisschick
    Participant

Since I figured out how to get my commentary to work *coff* and have viewed The Tank on the Series VIII DVD, along with reading a few old articles on the web, I’ve discovered that the whole going back to earth idea after VIII isn’t exactly a new idea, that it was something that Doug had wanted to do for either the movie or Series IX. So my question is, why does everyone seem so surprised by the revelation that the new episodes are pointed in this direction?

Carlito
    Participant

Because returning to Earth theoretically ties the series up. If ‘Earth’ had ended series 8, as planned, it didn’t matter because at the time we already knew there were “probably” no more series on the horizon and we had a lovely, exciting Red Dwarf movie to look forward to instead.

This time, with the movie seemingly dead in the water, the fact that the show is returning after a decade and returning to Earth (ie. fulfilling the objective of the main character since episode one) is a big deal, especially when we don’t know if there will ever be any more Dwarf down the line. Whether it plays out as Lister REALLY returning to Earth proper, or whether setting it on “Earth” is just a gimmick (and a bait-and-switch) to give the new episodes a hook, remains to be seen of course.

Carlito
    Participant

Also, I don’t think many people ARE all that surprised that the shows will be set on Earth, are they?

locusceruleus
    Participant

Not as surprised as I was that part of it’s set on Coronation Street.

Phil
    Participant

I’ll be surprised if it genuinely turns out to be Earth.

Carlito
    Participant

The thing is, if they DO pull the bait-and-switch, and it’s not really Earth, then we have a situation where people just won’t buy it when (or if) they eventually DO send the crew back to the real Earth. What is this, the third time now Lister has gotten back to “Earth”? (Backwards, Tikka To Ride, Back to Earth). That doesn’t include times they have been at Earth-like locations, such as Waxworld and Rimmerworld.

Carlito
    Participant

There’s no novelty in seeing the characters out and about in a natural looking environment, or interacting with an Earth-like surrounding, because it’s been done several times.

Phil
    Participant

Oh I understand. And logically I’m in complete agreement with you.

But at the same time, I doubt this would be “Earth” as Lister WANTS it to be “Earth.” It’d wrap up the show, as you mentioned, and yet GNP/the cast seem optimistic that maybe, just maybe, we’ll get more.

In which case this CAN’T be Earth. Not unless series IX involves the crew banding together to fix up an old hotel or some shit.

JamesTC
    Participant

>Not unless series IX involves the crew banding together to fix up an old hotel or some shit.

Where did you get the script from?

JamesTC
    Participant

I just can’t agree that getting to earth is the end of Dwarf, it may be Lister’s goal since day one but we also know that Lister is on Red Dwarf when he is 170 odd in ‘Future Echoes’, I think it is more of a ‘Backwards’ the book type situation were Lister realises his home is not earth anymore, it is that big ugly red rock.

Series IX could just be the gang going through space in Red Dwarf away from earth, either that or at the end of the specials the thing that sent them to earth also sends them back to Deep Space.

ChrisM
    Participant

And of course we don’t know what state earth will be in if it really IS earth.* There could be a full series just dealing with that side of things.

*Although the Coronation Street/Richmond stuff suggests it looks rather contemporary, but again that could be time travel or even VR. VR doesn’t mean they won’t really end up on Earth. It could be a matrixy type thing created by the current 3 million year inhabitants as a way to control the Dwarfers or find out their motivations. I’m not sure of that though as it’s been done before in Back in the Red. It could be a set up more akin to The Prisoner though.

Dave
    Participant

>What is this, the third time now Lister has gotten back to ?Earth?? (Backwards, Tikka To Ride, Back to Earth)

And the last scene of Ouroboros. And maybe Timeslides, but not quite.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.