Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Odd Dwarfy type things.

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    si
    Participant

Going through the loft today, found a suitcase full of stuff I’d thought were lost – amongst them my three lost Rob Grant books, and assorted live show programmes and tickets. Including this:

I’ve never met/known anyone else who went to either this gig or the tour, and was beginning to think I’d imagined it.
    I also found a disc from 2005-ish with both RD:USA pilots on, as well as 5 episodes of Cliche, and 16 eps of Son of Cliche, and assorted other Dwarfy gubbins. Unfortunately, the disc doesn’t seem to be working.

So, I was wondering what Red Dwarf-ish oddities anybody else has lying around?

si
    Participant

Fucking Hell.

“Series One”. That was a bit optimistic, wasn’t it?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I like how it looks like you watched about 25 mins of that VHS and then discarded it.

>“Series One”. That was a bit optimistic, wasn’t it?

There was a series two.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

And it was so good, they had to move it to Sunday afternoons to give other shows a chance.

si
    Participant

A Prince Among Men series two, huh? Who’da thunk?

Blisschick
    Participant

I once found the scripts online. I think I fell asleep reading the second one. Yes, I made it that far.

Edit: They actually still exist. Well, then.
    http://dcmullock.co.uk/chris/prince_scripts.htm

MANI506
    Participant

A recording of The 10%ers would be good if anyone has that? I remember the pilot and the ‘shakier than a silicon implant ward during an earthquake’ line being used in an episode.

I remember one catchphrase from A Prince Among Men being ‘Hey, I’m always right.’ I only watched episode 1.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I often use “eh, I’m always right” in conversation, despite having barely even thought about the show for years. I’ll give it one thing – the theme tune was half decent.

si
    Participant

>A recording of The 10%ers would be good

I’ve got a tapeful of The 10%ers. It’s got the Craig Charles episode on it.
    I think I’d like a look at I, Lovett again. I remember really liking it at the time, but then, I *was* ten years old.

anniescribe
    Participant

My sister has the Tongue-Tied video/making of/whatever on the VHS tape, and she has Craig’s standup on VHS too, from his time after prison, she says. (I’m not brave enough to watch that one.)

si
    Participant

I used to have Craig’s Live On Earth show on an audio cassette. I lent it to a friend of mine at college, along with a Vic Reeves magazine and a Fist of Fun cassette. Then my friend split up with her boyfriend, who threw all her (and hence, my) stuff away. :/

Brayds2006
    Participant

>I’ll give it one thing – the theme tune was half decent.

A quick YouTube search later, and said theme tune at 1:11 in this clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ9NExjDoVo

I had never heard of this show before. I’d ask if it was any good, but you’ve all answered that already. (The answer being No. No it’s not.)

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yeah, I was amazed when it won the Bafta.

si
    Participant

Panic over – I’ve found A Prince Among Men series 2 this morning.

Blisschick
    Participant

I wish you had the means to post the videos somewhere. I’m morbidly curious now that I’ve actually seen the theme song clip.

MANI506
    Participant

I really really liked Craig’s Live on Earth set when I was 15. I have his official bootleg video as well which is rubbish but does feature Craig learning the opening to series 7 on a bus.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I still have all of The Strangerers on a VHS somewhere….Although, I remember the sticker from the edge which said Strangerers on it fell off a few years ago so it may take some finding.

si
    Participant

Watched A Prince Among Men series one, episode one this afternoon. I made it to the end of of the episode, but, my God, it was even worse than I remember. I only watched the one episode…

I don’t understand how it can be so bad – the cast is pretty good (Susie Blake, Cliff Parisi), but…no. Not good.

Pecospete666
    Participant

Watched “5 million years to Earth” 1967 Brit SyFy! It was good for 1967′

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>I don’t understand how it can be so bad

Writing?

MANI506
    Participant

I insist that Si must watch all of Prince Among Men and then blog an episode guide.

If Prince Among Men gets lost to the ages… then that’s perfectly ok with me.

Reece
    Participant

I don’t understand how it can be so bad

Writing?

si
    Participant

More dodgy findings on old videos. Found a tape labelled ‘How Do They Do That?’, with the Model Effects piece featured on the RDVII DVD. Also on the vid is an interview from This Morning, January 1997, with Richard & Judy chatting to Robert Llewellyn:

They showed the “You’re lying!” clip, and Richard Madeley gormlessly asked Robert if he had to do the high pitched voice all the time. If you’re not going to watch the show, Richard, at least do some research, for fuck’s sake.

Robert’s reaction to this picture on Twitter?

@bromley001 oh my God that is tragic! Did I ever really look like that! Aaaarrggh

I think he’s impressed. :D

Reece
    Participant

oh my God that is tragic! Did I ever really look like that! Aaaarrggh

Surely I can’t be the only one…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Later, live on the show, Llewellyn split into the two separate entities we now know as Ant and Dec.

anniescribe
    Participant

For no reason I can discern, I’ve spent the last three minutes laughing because Robert reminds me of Tim Curry from “Clue” there.

Dave
    Participant

>Watched “5 million years to Earth” 1967 Brit SyFy! It was good for 1967′

For the record, he’s talking about the Hammer film of Quatermass And The Pit. I am uncertain of the Red Dwarf connection.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Surely I can’t be the only one…

*applause*

anniescribe
    Participant

To be fair, he also kind of reminds me of Curtis Armstrong from either Moonlighting or Revenge of the Nerds.

Blisschick
    Participant

I think more Tim Curry than anything. Wow! LOL

John Hoare
    Participant

This that I have just written seems suitable for this thread:

http://www.dirtyfeed.org/2012/12/oh-a-magic-door/

(Posted on Dirty Feed rather than G&T just because it seemed to suit better. NO CONSPIRACY.)

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

http://www.dirtyfeed.org/2012/12/oh-a-magic-door/”

Bloody brilliant article, John.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Thank you for a fascinating article, John. It was most…fascinating.

(Seriously, it was great)

HelloMabel
    Participant

Thanks for this, John! A real blast from the past. I remember finding episode scripts online (in that very font, which seemingly was the only font we had back then), and I spent hours printing them all out because our printer was so slow. I think it may even have been on continuous feed paper so I would then have to carefully tear off all the borders.

Incidentally, since their “character rating system” was only between 0 and 1, the difference between 0.63 and 0.67 is bigger than it first seems: fully four percentage points.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Always good to read how people recieved episodes back in the day. I wonder if they were as critical of them as we were about VII – X

Jonsmad
    Participant

I went to that Tour SI. The loughborough show I think it was. He did a bit of Brittas as I remember it.

John Hoare
    Participant

Thanks all. I’ll definitely write an article on those Dwarf text adventures, then…

si
    Participant

Jonsmad – all I remember about that tour was Norm ending his bit by carrying on talking as he disappeared behind a curtain, then Chris appearing from behind the curtain while ‘being’ Norm. That is it. In fact, I suspect that the whole idea of the tour may have been borne out of that transition.

si
    Participant

Found a Radio Times article from March 1999, all about Red Dwarf’s 50th episode. Okay, so that 50th episode turned out to be Pete Part One, but you can’t have everything.

Bexley Heath
    Participant

Is that just a re-use of the shot from the “They’re Back!” cover they did for Series VII, only with Rimmer’s H airbrushed out?

(Don’t judge my anally retentive powers of recognition – I’ve had said cover pinned up on my bedroom wall in my parents’ house for the last 15 years, so I’ve come to know it pretty well…)

si
    Participant

Yes.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

You have to wonder why they bothered.

Oh, and “Through budgetary constraints [Red Dwarf] looked like Anthea Turner’s handiwork on Blue Peter”

Go fuck yourself, RT.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Apart from anything else, the Blue Peter version of Tracy Island (which I assume they’re referring to) was really fucking good. So they’re right, in that something brilliant looks like something else brilliant, but equally extraordinarily wrong.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Go fuck yourself, RT.

Is it wrong that I was looking for the Retweet button, when i saw that? :S

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.