Out Of Time

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Out Of Time

This topic contains 45 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  PFMC84 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Dave

Going through the new Blu-Rays last night I decided to stick on Out Of Time, and quickly realised that my wife (who likes Red Dwarf but is not a devoted fan) had never seen it. It was great watching it with someone for the first time, and when it ended she turned around straight away and said “well, *that* was very exciting, wasn’t it?”.

(I then told her to imagine being an 11-year-old fan watching that as it came out, and then having to wait more than three years for a follow-up.)

Anyway, we carried on and watched Tikka for the resolution, and she lost interest a bit (understandably).

But still, Out Of Time, it’s great isn’t it?

I realised watching it again this time what an episode of two halves it is, and how it reminded me a bit of Skipper in that way. All the reality-bubble stuff of the first half is almost entirely separate from the time-travel stuff of the second half, but it all knits together pretty seamlessly, despite the abrupt solving of the reality-bubble problem and the break for stasis.

The cliffhanger is one of the show’s best endings, and the ‘morale meeting’ sketch at the beginning is one of those scenes that makes me laugh out loud no matter how many times I’ve seen it.

It’s just great all round, isn’t it? Even more impressive that it was still being written and rewritten on the fly.

I rated it at number 10 in the Pearl Poll, but now I’m wondering whether it deserved to be higher.

Seb Patrick

I then told her to imagine being an 11-year-old

Dave

That picture is showing up as a broken link for me, so I’ll have to imagine a hilarious image there instead.

Warbofrog

I put it third or fourth, that’s partly down to it being the single most nostalgic episode for me. I must have only caught the tail end of the ’94 repeat run from Legion onwards, so VI was the only Red Dwarf I properly saw until VII came out, and this was the most exciting one. Because it’s part of my single-digit childhood nostalgia it can get away with murder like autocue reading and the Future Selves being uncharacteristically evil.

There’s so much packed into the episode, you could forget entire sequences until you watch again, never mind the finer details and gags. The log cabin reveal really got me one time. Connecting Lister’s pool table box with a droid kit to sell that illusion is brilliant attention to detail.

Warbofrog

The Dibbley shit in Emohawk isn’t excused by my childhood nostalgia, because I didn’t know who he was supposed to be and just found that part of the episode strange. Very fond memories and associations with Legion, Gunmen and the Kinitawowi stuff though (Rimmerworld was always just sort of there).

International Debris

As someone who isn’t a huge fan of VI in general, I absolutely love Out of Time. It’s a very heavily character-based episode with action and real tension, and a genuinely strange plot. From the opening scene, the whole episode feels almost uncomfortable, a definite ‘series closer’ right from the off. I kind of wish that level of oddness and tension had been picked up on later… I suppose there are elements of it in some of XII.

But yeah, definite top 10 episode. Can’t remember my exact order but it could well have been a top 5.

clem

My number 6 in the Pearl Poll. It is amazing that the script was cobbled together at the last minute. AND it’s a bottle episode! I remember being dumbfounded when that was pointed out to me.

quinn_drummer

AND it’s a bottle episode!

I love how they go to get the Time Drive and it just cuts to them having installed it on Starbug

Dave

While we’re on specifics, “good meeting” is a great gag that I always think deserves a bigger laugh.

Rimmer has some of the best lines though. “And as for the Cat, what an unbelievable git,” always has me laughing, and his later “oooooh dear!” is maybe the most perfect Rimmer moment ever.

clem

It’s got everything going for it, really. I agree the character-based stuff is top-notch but some of the funniest moments are daft jokes like the log cabin and “keep our heads”. And Lister’s jar having dreads. The ending is thrilling even now.

Ben Kirkham

One of Red Dwarf’s finest episodes. Clever, funny, brilliantly paced. Close to flawless. This is definitely in my top three episodes.

quinn_drummer

Watching it now

The chocolate finger log cabin and Kryten quite giddily explaining they’re in the 15th century deep space are Red Dwarf at its finest.

bloodteller

>Because it’s part of my single-digit childhood nostalgia it can get away with murder like autocue reading

People always mention the autocue reading in Out Of Time, but I’ve never noticed it. Does anyone know any parts in the episode where it’s noticeably visible?

Warbofrog

I associate it with Robert in the cockpit mainly, but the most obvious bit is when he’s harrassing “droid” Lister and standing at an odd angle so he can see the screen/boards, delivering lines like “it’s just synthe-shock” like he doesn’t know what’s coming next.

He does the standing-at-a-strange-angle thing in Gunmen too when he’s correcting the impossible-to-remember Space Corps Directive in front of the Simulants, or I might be thinking of a different episode.

quinn_drummer

It’s very noticeable if you focus on Robert. For nearly the entire episode his eyes appear to be looking off into the distance past the character he is talking to.

Dave

The bit where he’s getting the data about the reality bubbles from Starbug’s computer is like watching an actor at a read-through. It works in the context of the scene though.

Dave

The chocolate finger log cabin and Kryten quite giddily explaining they’re in the 15th century deep space are Red Dwarf at its finest.

Kryten’s matter-of-fact “well, yes” – in a sort of what-were-you-expecting kind of way – is another moment that never fails to make me laugh.

quinn_drummer

Kryten’s matter-of-fact “well, yes” – in a sort of what-were-you-expecting kind of way – is another moment that never fails to make me laugh.

Exactly … I love it. On hindsight its obvious they won’t travel in space, but the fact Kryten is the only one to have figured that out from the beginning and assumed everyone else would have know that to be the case to is brilliant.

Such a shame that in the next episode the time drive does exactly that. Could have easily been solved if they had said it was some sort of amalgamation between the two drives (present and future) as the universe reestablished itself, like how Starbug is 200% bigger, but oh well.

Dave

Yeah, it wouldn’t have been such a noticeable change in Tikka if not for that memorable joke in Out Of Time.

bloodteller

Out Of Time is really excellent, it’s definitely somewhere in my top 5. The only thing I don’t like about it is the “To Be Continued…” at the end, as it takes a bit of edge off the ending (if it’s going to be continued, then obviously they won’t stay dead) and also reminds me that Tikka To Ride is up next.

quinn_drummer

(if it’s going to be continued, then obviously they won’t stay dead)

Do you always go into watching series 6 forgetting there are another 6 series to come??

Also, unless I’m just conflating this with Back to the Future, but wasn’t the “to be continued” added after broadcast?

Warbofrog

I saw it from probably the second broadcast and would say TBC was there, but we do remember the ending being different, so reality might have changed at some point.

clem

The DVDs have the episodes exactly as first broadcast. Only exception to this I’m aware of, up until the Dave era anyway, is the replacement version of Copacabana in Terrorform.

quinn_drummer

Oh yeah I remember that thread … maybe I’m thinking the caption was added later as a result of reading that thread.

For what it’s worth, I think I’d always thought the laser shot was a part of Rimmer destroying the time drive until it’s explained that it’s the future crew firing on them in Tikka.

bloodteller

>Do you always go into watching series 6 forgetting there are another 6 series to come??

Well no, but it’s a reminder that after this great episode you’ve just seen, there’s a rather crap one coming up next. It’s like watching Back In The Red. I enjoy Part 1, but then at the end of the episode I’m reminded there are two more parts of it to come which become increasingly rubbish and silly. It’s linking a good episode to one that’s not so good

clem

Something similar that did happen was “This week’s Red Dwarf” from the beginning of Polymorph becoming “This Red Dwarf” on VHS, which really wasn’t worth the bother.

bloodteller

Kryten’s “Last Week on Red Dwarf” narration in Nanarchy is removed as well, isn’t it? I remember hearing somewhere it was just replaced with a caption saying “LAST TIME on Red Dwarf…”

quinn_drummer

Kryten’s “Last Week on Red Dwarf” narration in Nanarchy is removed as well, isn’t it? I remember hearing somewhere it was just replaced with a caption saying “LAST TIME on Red Dwarf…”

Just checked Netflix, sound off with subtitles on, and it says “Last week on Red Dwarf”

Ben Saunders

My dad taped the mid-90s repeats off the TV and our copy has the “to be continued”. I should check if it’s “this week’s Red Dwarf” or “this Red Dwarf” on our copy of Series III. I never say Nanarchy as a child because my dad never taped it, I think maybe because 7 episodes was too long for the tape, it’s not like he gave up on the show at that point because he also recorded (not all of) VIII.

si

This thread made me watch OoT just now.
    If there’s one small bit guaranteed to make me laugh – and I mean *really* laugh – it’s Kryten’s wail of despair offscreen.

Even made me howl with laughter today.

clem

> Kryten’s “Last Week on Red Dwarf” narration in Nanarchy is removed as well, isn’t it? I remember hearing somewhere it was just replaced with a caption saying “LAST TIME on Red Dwarf…”

The only VII tape I had was Xtended but I’ve never heard about that. Seems like an odd thing to be so pedantic about when it’s Kryten in character breaking the fourth wall anyway, plus you’d lose the laugh his being upset about Lister’s arm gets.

si

Something else I noticed for the first time watching Out Of Time today was the beeping of the computer as Kryten reads about the Unreality Bubbles.

CB3

An interesting thing I noticed recently about the ‘keep our heads’ scene (well, it was interesting to me) is that Lister’s wolf head is a recycled prop from the Box of Delights.

I’m now wondering where the others came from – the chicken/rooster’s head that Kryten’s wearing looks decidedly ropey.

Dave

That scene always makes me think of the dream sequence from the ‘dictionary’ episode of Blackadder III, although I’m not sure there’s any crossover in the animal heads.

CB3

Oh yes, Baldrick turning into the Alsatian – that mask looked pretty mangy too, IIRC.

I always thought Rimmer’s ‘now you’ve turned into a chicken’ line was reminiscent of that scene.

Captain Star

I like to think that the “Brain in a jar” Uncle Lister jokingly tells his mates about in Balance of Power is the “future” Lister from Out of Time.

Dave

I always think of Out Of Time when I watch that scene too. It’s a weirdly specific link across episodes.

Warbofrog

The Out of Time future selves being the Stasis Leak future selves 10 years on is one of the more thoughtful Red Dwarf fan theories I’ve read. “In five years’ time” roughly fits, future Rimmer’s got a tache, future Lister is already a bit dickish, future Kryten could have just been somewhere else like Cat. Whatever happened to Lister might have killed Kochanski.

It’s still best to just not worry about continuity though.

Warbofrog

I was never sure if Kryten piling all the chillies onto Lister’s plate – “at the rate you’re going, there’ll be none left for tomorrow” – means he knows Lister’s supposed to have his accident imminently, or is just desparate to make every meal extra special from now on.

bloodteller

I always found it a little unsettling that the audience are laughing when Kryten tells Lister he loves him and then walks off to the kitchen crying in anguish. To me that scene’s not funny, it’s just incredibly sad, so to hear the audience laughing at it makes the whole thing more disturbing than intended. Also, interesting to note is that when Future Rimmer mentions the Hitlers, the audience just goes completely quiet, as if even they’re a bit taken aback by the whole chain of events

>I was never sure if Kryten piling all the chillies onto Lister’s plate – “at the rate you’re going, there’ll be none left for tomorrow” – means he knows Lister’s supposed to have his accident imminently, or is just desparate to make every meal extra special from now on.

I think the implication is the accident is meant to happen that same day- hence Kryten saying “And I thought that since today had …no special significance… it would be appropriate …to…”

Warbofrog

I didn’t connect the “today” and “tomorrow” there, just thought Kryten was generally babbling. But the implications add up to something being about to happen. Which they make minimal effort to avert by continuing to use the Time Drive anyway, until they don’t any more.

Dave

Yeah, all the evidence points to something bad happening to Lister that very day, which I think sets you up to think that the encounter with the future selves is going to end badly. The whole back half of the episode has a sinister air, partly for that reason.

As for the audience laughing at Kryten’s sadness, I always thought the humour there came from Kryten being very bad at concealing the fact that something bad is going to happen to Lister (after making such a big deal of how dangerous it is to have information about your future). I never feel like people are laughing at Kryten’s grief.

PFMC84

Isn’t the cockpit door being closed and shown opening in OOT the first time it happened since Dimension Jump in Series IV? Did it ever close (or be shown as closed) during Series V?

Dave

Yes, during the meeting without Rimmer towards the end of Terrorform.

quinn_drummer

Also happens in Backwards as Rimmer comes back in after being ejected

PFMC84

Oh yes, I remember now from Series V, so it happened at least once a series since III but stopped after VI. Until XI when the door was mostly closed all the time (and a totally different style of door).

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.