Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum [PLUG] Deadlong – “I’m going out for a walk and I may be some time.”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’ve started another webcomic. It’s called Deadlong. Whereas Jump Leads was more of a per-page comic book deal, this is a comic strip – the sort of thing you might expect to see in the Comics section of your paper, if they allowed comics featuring small, disgruntled imps with their knobs hanging out.

Here’s how I described it on the site’s “About” page:

Deadlong is the story of a young boy, an unmemorable farmhand from a small village. He’s also dead, though that’s the least of his worries; with no memorable deeds to his name and no one to miss him, the Natural Order determines that he is condemned to spend eternity in Limbo; a broken version of the real world constructed from the memories of the living. Naturally, he isn’t very happy about this, and being the stubborn sort he is he opts instead to journey to Mount Palaverus to confront the Gods themselves.

He is reluctantly, very reluctantly, accompanied by a crotchety imp – Pooka, the poor staffer in Limbo assigned the duty of getting the boy to sign a release. With Pooka unable to clock out of his shift until his assignee puts pen to paper, he has become an unwilling participant in what he strongly feels to be a fruitless journey. Still, he’s got his cigarettes, and with his insider knowledge the boy might just make it far enough to get killed by something that’ll do it reasonably quickly. Ish.

Together they will face the many perils and pitfalls Limbo has to offer… whether they want to or not.

We launched the strip two weeks ago with a readable archive of 15 strips. At the moment we’re publishing twice weekly on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but once Sam’s wrapped up her Animation degree we intend to knock out three a week.

If you liked the sense of humour on display in Jump Leads then hopefully you’ll like this too. I’m relying far less on pop culture references in this one, partially because it’s a fantasy but mostly because I want this to stand on its own two feet.

Anyway, go read it, please.

si
    Participant

> small, disgruntled imps with their knobs hanging out.

So loosely based around Team G&T, then?

No, that would be “disgruntled imps with their small knobs hanging out”.

Did I just reveal too much just then?

You can’t blame me for overusing the word “just”. It’s just such a fantastic one.

This is really interesting and I’m looking forward to reading more. Reminds me a tiny bit of Grim Fandango, which is always a good thing.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

In fairness, Pooka’s knob is nothing to write home about.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

As a reminder, a brand new strip goes up in just over an hour and a half’s time.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Ben, I assume you went to Comic-Con again this year? Did you have a table? Was there any buzz about RDX?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I didn’t have a table, but I did go to Comic-Con on Saturday. No specific buzz about Red Dwarf, but that Jupiter Mining Company fella was there again selling Red Dwarf merch (and doing rather well, as I recall).

I think it would have been great if GNP/Dave could have shown something at Comic-Con, but I guess the show needs to reestablish itself again.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Yeah I wish GNP had been there, if nothing else so that BBC America and/or local PBS stations might get it on their radar (since they were there for that big Doctor Who panel). I sent a polite e-mail to KOCE last week but got no response – odd for them. Maybe I’ll try again after the trailer’s released.

If they’re at next year’s Comic-Con, I hope I can go. It always seems to be a weekend when I have too much on my plate already.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Every now and then I tweet at BBC America to remind them that Red Dwarf X is a thing that is happening. I support PBS, don’t get me wrong, but I think Red Dwarf can find a much, much bigger audience on BBC America. It worked for Doctor Who.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.