Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Popular Myths and Misconceptions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Flap Jack
    Participant

So it became a bit of received wisdom in the Red Dwarf fandom that “Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers” was not actually intended to be the title of the first novel, but people saw the road sign on the cover, and either misinterpreted it as a subtitle, or appropriated it as a fan nickname for the sake of distinguishing it from the series in general. Then this was later made the official subtitle in the omnibus/audiobook/Radio Show.

And yet, open the solo paperback edition and whaddya know, right there in the inside cover it says:

RED DWARF
    Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers

So I’d say that’s pretty clear, even if the subtitle isn’t on the spine. 

Makes it a bit weird for the Red Dwarf wiki to introduce it as “Red Dwarf (often referred to as Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers to differentiate from the television series)… “. Yeah, sure, no actual lies there, technically, but it might be a tad misleading.

Anyone else have any fond memories of other pervasive Red Dwarf-related misconceptions or myths?

Warbodog
    Participant

That’s always been a stupid peeve of mine, so I concede to your actual evidence, I only have the omnibus these days. Title pages are definitive, even if they are the result of misinterpreting cover art.

Dave
    Participant

Back To Earth not being series 9.

Is that a first edition you’re looking at or a reprint?

Flap Jack
    Participant

That’s always been a stupid peeve of mine, so I concede to your actual evidence, I only have the omnibus these days. Title pages are definitive, even if they are the result of misinterpreting cover art.

Yeah, I initially just got the omnibus too, so this myth took a long time to be busted for me.
    Though, is it on record that the inside title is only like that due to someone misinterpreting the cover? I assumed not, as surely the title/subtitle would be decided long before the cover art, but I guess it’s hard to be 100% sure.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Is that a first edition you’re looking at or a reprint?

I’m looking at the 2nd printing. It’s difficult to verify when that occurred, but it’s still copyright 1989, so it must have been a maximum of 2 months after the first. It might have even been a pre-publication 2nd printing.

So it is technically possible that this subtitle was added inside between the 1st and 2nd printings – though it seems unlikely that Rob and Doug would make that happen just based on readers thinking it was already the title?

If anyone does have a 1st edition, please do check and if necessary, re-bunk me!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

re-bunk me!

Flap Jack
    Participant

I regret nothing.

Warbodog
    Participant

More of an historic one, Craig’s macho lie about the dog food being real in the 90s. I probably read that fact in the Programme Guide, then the Smeg-Ups said it was cat food, finally on the DVD documentaries he gave the seemingly definitive answer of tuna in gel.

The Programme Guide that’s up on the Internet Archive is an early edition without the episode trivia points, so I can’t check what other erroneous facts I learned and may still believe.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I feel like there are a good few of these in Man in the Rubber Mask. The new footage found for Bodysnatcher that showed the infamous ‘electrocution’ incident in the sauna basically shows that he loves to embellish his stories.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Ah yes, good ones. Another one that comes to mind is “the overlaid skutter in The End Remastered is CGI”. I can’t remember if anyone with authority actually said that, or everyone just assumed it was CGI because it looked crap.

I feel like there are a good few of these in Man in the Rubber Mask. The new footage found for Bodysnatcher that showed the infamous ‘electrocution’ incident in the sauna basically shows that he loves to embellish his stories.

They’re entertainers and to a certain extent comedians.  They tell whatever the best version if the story is.  Which is mostly going to be bollocks.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Ah yes, good ones. Another one that comes to mind is “the overlaid skutter in The End Remastered is CGI”. I can’t remember if anyone with authority actually said that, or everyone just assumed it was CGI because it looked crap.

I think that one was down to limited understanding of what CGI is and so the term was misused. Everyone knew about the Tara Wars remastered being ‘CGI’ so changes to Dwarf must be the same thing.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

They’re entertainers and to a certain extent comedians.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Well, they do get paid to lie, so clearly their testimony can’t be trusted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.