Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf Audios

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Anyone else think that in the absence of anything visual, it would be a splendid idea to release new Dwarf misadventures on CD in a way akin to the Doctor Who Big Finish audios?

Would also be a nice way of encouraging a move back in the direction of dialogue-based comedy as opposed to the Carry-On style sight gags of Series 8.

The Dave Hollins sketches seem to work very well way back when…and of course there’s no budgetary limitations with audio or a concern that everyone’s looking too old now!

Would love to hear a Grant Naylor-penned audio series.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Wrinkles

Enjoy!!

Phil
    Participant

>Enjoy!!

Oh ha ha.

To be perfectly honest, brand new audio adventures sound absolutely great to me. I’d be more than excited at the prospect.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I remember that there was meant to be a CD of Red Dwarf like they released Bottom on cassette. I know that project died quite quickly. I’m sure Andrew told me the reason, but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was…

Andrew
    Participant

It never went beyond discussion. BBCWW wanted to do it, we weren’t sure. Somehow it ended up available for pre-order anyway.

We’d briefly discussed new descriptive tracks for the visual stuff. ‘Manuel’ did them for Fawlty Towers, very successfully, and we’d considered various series being narrated by Kryten and the male and female Hollys. But discussion was all it was.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

If you couldn’t get a new TV series or a movie, Big Finish style audios would rank for me, in terms of other potential means of New Dwarf, slightly below an animated series, and slightly above a comic. I’d be all for it, particularly if they were as *good* as Big Finish.

John Hoare
    Participant

Big-Finish-style audios would DEFINITELY be something I’m interested in too.

You could get an audience in too!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Big-Finish-style audios would DEFINITELY be something I?m interested in too.

Definitely. I’m surprised it hasn’t been done already, really.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Yeah, It’s an idea that came to my mind too, while in bookshops and seeing the
    huge range of who, torchwood etc stuff that comes out now as talking books and having hugely enjoyed the recent Dirk Maggs, hitchhikers audio series and current Dirk Gently Shows, a lot can be done with sound.

The 3rd hitch hiker series had a dvd release show casing a dolby surround mix, along with video making off.

Baz
    Participant

Think one of the first discussions I posted in on G&T was on the future of Red Dwarf. I said something to the effect that a Red Dwarf audio CD was possibly the easiest way to continue the show. No visual effects, which is a bit of a bummer for the FX boys, but the characters have such distinctive voices, the music is so easily recognisable and all you need is a sound studio and an editing suite, so the costs are minimal compared to a TV series. You also have no problem with the characters aging or Robert having to get back into the Kryten mask. Rob and Doug are already well versed in writing for radio, it’s how they started out.

Dr. Who has done it. Blake’s 7 has done it (sort of). Tomorrow People has done it. Heck, even the Space 1889 RPG has done it. Why not Red Dwarf?

It could be done. It should be done. We wants it.

pfm
    Participant

> Why not Red Dwarf?

Because Who can be written by any fucker with a pen or keyboard. Dwarf should be written by Rob or Doug only (well, that’s how I feel) so it would always be a question of whether they would want to do one. I’m sure someone else could have a good crack at writing one but I don’t believe they would get it right, especially in the humour stakes. Fan fics are never as funny.

Paul Muller
    Participant

“Fan fics are never as funny”

That’s true.

Baz
    Participant

Well of course Rob and Doug would have to do it. I’d sort of assumed that was a given.

Anonymous

>I?m sure someone else could have a good crack at writing one but I don?t believe they would get it right, especially in the humour stakes. Fan fics are never as funny.

Then again, I don’t thing that Doug on his own would get it right in the humour stakes, judging from Series 7 and 8.

There must be some talented writers out there who really “get” Red Dwarf and what made it so good.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

There is such a thing as “good” fanfiction. You will occasionally come across someone who does “get” what a show is and can write very good stuff. But in order to find that one good fanfic you have to wade through pages and pages of Lister/Rimmer slash, so ultimately it’s not worth it.

I stopped writing Fanfiction a few years ago, and instead focused my energy on writing my own scifi-comedy (there’s an interesting story involving the pilot script, the BBC, what they thought of it and what happened next, but that’s perhaps best saved for another thread).

Anonymous

Oooh, start that other thread Mr Paddon! Sounds most intriguing.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I need to find the letter they sent me first. Either that or find the relevant post on my blog. It basically adds to the whole “BBC don’t like scifi” thing. They “really enjoyed” my script though, and want me to send them anything else I happen to write. At the moment that consists of a short film script about a Bog Monster who’s fed up of being typecast as a Bog Monster, and an unfinished pilot for a sitcom set in a shop that sells videogames and comics books.

Edit: Ah, [here we go].

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> a Bog Monster who?s fed up of being typecast as a Bog Monster

You could get Mike Myers to play the lead role.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

He’s already signed up for the sequel.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.