Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf Fandom.com Article

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ben Kirkham
    Participant

https://www.fandom.com/articles/red-dwarf-spawned-sci-fi-comedy

A good article. Interesting that Doug still entertains the idea of an American version.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I don’t think I ever knew Paul Jackson worked on Python. Judging by career timeline, he was probably a runner or something.

si
    Participant

I don’t think I ever knew Paul Jackson worked on Python. Judging by career timeline, he was probably a runner or something.

Yes, I was a bit thrown by that, too. Something for a Q&A there.

I always thought Alan Rickman went up for Rimmer, not Lister.

RunawayTrain
    Participant

I always thought Alan Rickman went up for Rimmer, not Lister.

That’s what I thought, but The First Three Million Years confirms it was Alan Rickman for Lister, and Alfred Molina for Rimmer.

evilmorwen
    Participant

Yes, I was a bit thrown by that, too. Something for a Q&A there.

his Wikipedia article makes a big deal about it, but IMDB doesn’t have a credit. I wonder if it isn’t just a case of mistaken identity. “Paul Jackson” is not the rarest of names.

“Paul Jackson” is not the rarest of names.

I knew two Paul Jackson’s at school, so one of them we just called Tree because he had big hair and looked like a tree.

Hamish
    Participant

I knew two Paul Jackson’s at school, so one of them we just called Tree because he had big hair and looked like a tree.

It could be worse. He could have been named Michael.

It could be worse. He could have been named Michael.

You’re right, Paul Michael is a daft name

si
    Participant

No-one’s asked Paul about Python yet, have they?

evilmorwen
    Participant

not that I’ve seen

tombow
    Participant

considering how well the Office did in US version, I can’t believe there’s not one tv exec out there waiting to give US RD another crack, especially as it has so many surface similarities (2 squabbling collegues, one laid back and one fussy, a longed for love, a dull workplace etc)

Goldfish Toes
    Blocked

considering how well the Office did in US version, I can’t believe there’s not one tv exec out there waiting to give US RD another crack, especially as it has so many surface similarities (2 squabbling collegues, one laid back and one fussy, a longed for love, a dull workplace etc)

Imagine the office in space but with the dwarf boys there too and when Kryten comes in Jim from the office looks at camera with his face lol

evilmorwen
    Participant

The style of modern sitcom that’s popular lately are ensembles and Red Dwarf is very bottley. Workplace sitcoms are often set at a kind of job that’s a plot generator, too – Red Dwarf eventually did hit upon “the boys investigate a derelict” formula, but it’s not exactly baked into the format of the show. I wonder if Red Dwarf USA would have gone straight to that – it’s the only way to really make 22 episodes a year of the show I would have thought.

tombow
    Participant

Imagine the office in space but with the dwarf boys there too and when Kryten comes in Jim from the office looks at camera with his face lol

Jim and Dwight should play Lister and Rimmer and Ricky Gervais should play Cat (for his sharp suits and dancing)

Goldfish Toes
    Blocked

Jim and Dwight should play Lister and Rimmer and Ricky Gervais should play Cat (for his sharp suits and dancing)

You have cross up American and Britain lol Jim face at camera now

tombow
    Participant

Kochanski – Amy Poeler

Captain Hollister – Chris Pratt

Crit Cop – John Goodman

Kill Crazy – Christian Bale

Jenuall
    Participant

They’d have to get a hell of a lot of product placement in if they were to make a US Red Dwarf these days. Every can of Leopard Lager would have to become a Starbucks cup, the vending machines would be even more obnoxious and constantly try and shove Pepsi and Charleston Chew’s down the crews throat and the Titan Taj Mahal would need a rebrand

“Fired from Earth? Deep into the heart of the Solar System? And you fancy a taco? Then why not drop in at the Titan Taco Bell!”

Deepfreeze
    Blocked

We actually had a tree at our school that looked like Paul Jackson. Not the Paul Jackson from Red Dwarf, another Paul Jackson who also went to our school and whose nickname was Hedge, because he once hid in a hedge.

Hamish
    Participant

We actually had a tree at our school that looked like Paul Jackson. Not the Paul Jackson from Red Dwarf, another Paul Jackson who also went to our school and whose nickname was Hedge, because he once hid in a hedge.

And you tied an onion to your belt, which was the style at the time.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.