Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf night on Dave

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

It’s lovely hearing Iain Lee introducing these episodes.

It’s odd how they never show 1, 2 or VIII, though and only shown VII very rarely. In fact, it seems to be almost *always* V. They obviously own the rights to all the series as they’ve shown them all back when they were G2, so it’s odd they have this bias.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Does Iain Lee do Dave’s continuity now then?

I thought it was Greg James from Radio 1?

JamesTC
    Participant

I’m sure I have seen them show VIII once, you are right that they mostly show Series V though, I sometimes see VI or IV too. I don’t see why they don’t show them in order.

Why doesn’t Dave have a Red Dwarf night like the BBC2 one from 1998?
    Have the cast do some sort of 30 minute special (like ‘Universe Challange’), get some people in for interviews on their time on the show for another special. Have another Smeg Ups broadcast version using clips from all 8 series and specials with new linking bits with one of the cast and hold the night together with Kryten hosting and some episodes voted favourites, I would tune into that though I guess that is because I am a Dwarf fan. I hope I still have the tape of Dwarf night somewhere, just took a look and it is nowhere to be seen.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Maybe we’ll get some sort of Red Dwarf weekend around Easter time.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I thought it was Greg James from Radio 1?

Is he the guy with a deep voice?

It seems to be mainly Iain Lee these days, and almost every single link has to have some sort of fucking terrible humour in it, all done in Iain Lee’s ‘style’.

He really is a worthless, talent free cunt.

pfm
    Participant

Even if they showed them back in the G2 days has VIII ever appeared on Dave? I can’t remember it doing. What’s stopping them showing everything from series 1 through VIII?

ChrisM
    Participant

Heh, he was hosting a Lost behind the scenes type show recently. He certainly gets around (BB, The One Show, etc.)

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I had a dream last night that featured Iain Lee. I was on set for… some show. He was on it. Nobody liked him and he got sent home for being a twat. Then he twittered about it.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Is he the guy with a deep voice?

No, he’s quite high pitched and chirpy. It’s possible he doesn’t do them anymore, but I’m not near Dave at the moment to check.

Dave
    Participant

>Nobody liked him and he got sent home for being a twat. Then he twittered about it.

Twattered about it?

locusceruleus
    Participant

>I had a dream last night that featured Iain Lee. I was on set for? some show. He was on it. Nobody liked him and he got sent home for being a twat. Then he twittered about it.

Other than the ‘you being on set’ part, I’m having a hard time believing that’s just a dream.

Andrew
    Participant

> They obviously own the rights to all the series as they?ve shown them all back when they were G2,

No rights would be ‘in perpetuity’, though, They’re renewable. If you still have showings left on some eps, you use those eps.

Not saying that relates to this schedule, mind you. I don’t know one way or the other. But nobody simply ‘has the rights’ to show a thing over and over.

> Why doesn?t Dave have a Red Dwarf night like the BBC2 one from 1998?

Well, they’re paying for four new pieces of Red Dwarf, including two shows, an entertainment programme and a documentary. It’s their first scripted comedy commission EVER. Yet your question is: Why aren’t they spending even more money to interview people unrelated to the programme, finance an edit (do you know how much those things cost?!) of outtakes that have been seen already and pay the cast to shoot scenes to introduce it all?

I mean, I know I’ve upset you recently by questioning the validity of your suggestions, but…it’s worth thinking through the logistical angle. There’s a common sense answer to this question and it is ‘because they’re already financing quite a lot of content already, which is a hell of a thing for a new channel’.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Twattered about it?

*applauds* Can we officially rename it to Twatter? It fits so much better.

No rights would be ?in perpetuity?, though, They?re renewable. If you still have showings left on some eps, you use those eps.

But it seems odd that they’d have 20 showings of Series V and none of any other series. I’m assuming that Dave are only buying V at the moment because that gets the highest viewing figures…
    (If you remember when UK Gold started they just played Eastenders and The Bill all day – I assume they got them cheap back then.)

?because they?re already financing quite a lot of content already, which is a hell of a thing for a new channel?.

You say it’s a new channel, but that’s only in name – it cobbles together the dregs of UK Play and UKG2, UK Play having commissioned quite a lot of things in their time, UK Gold having commissioned several shows and UKTV Food used to have a live show every day.

Plus they’re owned by BBC Worldwide and Virgin Media, neither of whom are especially new to the television industry. (Virgin Media’s stake was Flextech as part of Telewest, and they own Living, Bravo, Challenge, all of whom have made their own programming for years)

Don’t get me wrong, it’s very good that this is happening, and this is probably one of the most ambitious things the UKTV group have done, but let’s not kid ourselves that this is unprecedented.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

locusceruleus knows not what they say…
    Other than the ?you being on set? part, I?m having a hard time believing that?s just a dream.

You must be new.

Andrew
    Participant

> But it seems odd that they?d have 20 showings of Series V and none of any other series.

Is that a genuine figure, or just what it feels like?

I don’t know what series were purchased in what numbers (though I wouldn’t blame a channel for buying more plays on series that seemed more attractive to channel-hoppers), but you have to balance the figures over years, not months or weeks. These are number-of-repeat rights that will have been purchased a while ago.

> Don?t get me wrong, it?s very good that this is happening, and this is probably one of the most ambitious things the UKTV group have done, but let?s not kid ourselves that this is unprecedented.

‘New channel’ admittedly simplifies Dave’s status, but ‘cobbling together the dregs’ underplays how significant these changes are. The financing and rights issues involved, etc. BBC1 was the cobbled together TV channel using radio licence money. It’s easy to state it in sweeping fashion, doesn’t make it easy to DO.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

The financing and rights issues involved, etc.

Speaking of the financing, and I don’t know whether you’ll be able to answer this or not – is the show being part financed by BBC Worldwide? Other than through Dave, I mean.

Just wondering considering Dwarf has had funding from them in the past and has just had a 5 year period where it’s sold a stupid number of DVDs.

BBC1 was the cobbled together TV channel using radio licence money.

Now who’s being sweeping ;)

I don’t know enough about the financing of early BBC TV in this country to be sure, but I should think lots of money and benefits in kind came from somewhere other than the meagre radio licence fee. (eg EMI who had a lot to gain from “their” standard being adopted. Here’s some cameras to play with.)

And by the time it really started properly in 1946, there was an accompanying TV licence fee too.

Somebody
    Participant

> ?New channel? admittedly simplifies Dave?s status, but ?cobbling together the dregs? underplays how significant these changes are. The financing and rights issues involved, etc.

Sure. The original point was, as far as I can see, that the direct predecessors of this channel dealt with the same issues, probably using many of the same people at their end. You kinda made it sound like people were taken straight out of uni and the first thing they did which was more complicated than pushing a few buttons was commissioning Dwarf.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

The original point was, as far as I can see, that the direct predecessors of this channel dealt with the same issues, probably using many of the same people at their end. You kinda made it sound like people were taken straight out of uni and the first thing they did which was more complicated than pushing a few buttons was commissioning Dwarf.

Exactly my point – UKTV isn’t some tinpot little TV company, it’s one of the oldest and biggest multi-channel TV producers, and is owned by one of the world’s biggest broadcasters and another well established multi-channel TV producer.

However I can see the problems with rights and financing it on Dave’s presumably not that big budget.

JamesTC
    Participant

Well, they?re paying for four new pieces of Red Dwarf, including two shows, an entertainment programme and a documentary. It?s their first scripted comedy commission EVER. Yet your question is: Why aren?t they spending even more money to interview people unrelated to the programme, finance an edit (do you know how much those things cost?!) of outtakes that have been seen already and pay the cast to shoot scenes to introduce it all?
    I mean, I know I?ve upset you recently by questioning the validity of your suggestions, but?it?s worth thinking through the logistical angle. There?s a common sense answer to this question and it is ?because they?re already financing quite a lot of content already, which is a hell of a thing for a new channel?.

Oh don’t get me wrong I have not forgotten that Dave are being the greatest channel in the world with the new Dwarf but I just thought it would be a cheap ratings grabber if they filmed a few interviews and some sort of pannel show thing but I guess you will know more about this stuff than me so I will be quiet in the corner now.

Andrew
    Participant

> is the show being part financed by BBC Worldwide? Other than through Dave, I mean.

I believe so. In fact, though, I think that was happening in the BBC days, too.

> And by the time it really started properly in 1946, there was an accompanying TV licence fee too.

There were three years pre-war where part of the radio fee was use to fund the BBC’s TV output.

> The original point was, as far as I can see, that the direct predecessors of this channel dealt with the same issues, probably using many of the same people at their end. You kinda made it sound like people were taken straight out of uni and the first thing they did which was more complicated than pushing a few buttons was commissioning Dwarf.

I certainly didn’t intend to make it sound that way…particularly since I’d never consider the complex nature of rights clearances, audience building, branding, transfer to Freeview, etc. etc. as ‘pushing a few buttons’.

Anyway, the ORIGINAL original point was ‘Why aren’t they making this as Red Dwarf night?’ and I stand by the response ‘because they?re already financing quite a lot of content already, which is a hell of a thing for a new channel?. But by all means replace ‘new channel’ with ‘channel that comes from a background of companies which have made shows themselves, though rarely in the area of scripted narrative comedy, and never in this particular form as part of a potential transformation for a channel founded on archive repeats moving towards original production having only recently leapt to Freeview.’

‘Dave is new’ was not the crux of my point. That this is already a rare and unusual risk-taking thing sorta was – and no matter the history, it is; how this plays out has massive implications for the future of UKTV – but only in that it relates to how much cash is able to be risked on this venture.

JamesTC
    Participant

>> is the show being part financed by BBC Worldwide? Other than through Dave, I mean.

>I believe so. In fact, though, I think that was happening in the BBC days, too.

I thought Dave was part owned by BBC Worldwide.

Andrew
    Participant

It is.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

I thought Dave was part owned by BBC Worldwide.

UKTV is 50% owned by BBC Worldwide. What I mean is are BBC Worldwide paying as well – UKTV should be returning a profit to BBC Worldwide.

As Andrew said, BBC Worldwide used to give money in the old Dwarf days, and with the DVDs being so successful I just wondered if they were pitching in again (ie in addition to the funding from “UKTV”) or whether the whole BBC had the stance that it wasn’t interested in the Red Dwarf audience anymore.

Carlito
    Participant

I’m guessing that the new specials will be in the style of series IV-VI (including, evidently, the costumes) as they have been the most repeated, presumably the highest rated, and the freshest series in the eyes of current/new fans. Makes sense to tailor the new episodes to the average Dave audience… y’know, seeing as they’re showing on Dave and all.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

As I recall, Virgin Media owns the other half of UKTV. Unless I’mw rong. Which I probably am.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Nope, it’s Virgin Media… as said upthread somewhere :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anyone know if the new specials will be streamed or available for download via iTunes or something?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.