Rimmer's Uniform Colour

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Rimmer's Uniform Colour

This topic contains 37 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Bargain Bin Holly 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Bargain Bin Holly

https://twitter.com/RedDwarfHQ/status/1038379851307200512

Think they’re gauging support for an upcoming redesign for XIII? BTW I’m surprised beige is winning, I always preferred his later more… space-y outfits.

Dax101

I may end up the only one but i really wouldn’t want them to go back to the beige. its ok as part of the shows past and even having it in Skipper was nice, but i don’t want them going backwards.

Same with alot of the nostalgia in the show. too much of it and it just loses its appeal.

Dave

I liked the Green era best I think. As someone else mentioned here a while back, there was a broader selection of clothes – casual clothes, hats, jackets, braces, and so on – alongside the regular suit. It made him feel a bit more varied and characterful in the way he dressed. The same suit over and over gets boring.

Bargain Bin Holly

I’d like them to introduce a new palette to a possible XIII redesign of Rimmer’s uniform, a lot of people have suggested yellow or orange and I’d like to see that. But yeah, the beige being a regular thing would be a step backward.

Paul Muller

I’m not too fussed about the colour, but it’s definitely time to retire the tunic/trousers combo – which he’s now been sporting unaltered for three series. It’s a bit too formal for my liking (I think it’s the shoes).

International Debris

The beige is my favourite, but I agree that it would be a mistake to go backwards. Of the coloured outfits, green works best as stated above, because there were a number of variations which made it look more like genuine clothing rather than a costume.

NoFro

Yeah a bit of a design overhaul for the new series would be nice, for the bunk room if nothing else. New look for Rimmer and even just a repainted bunkroom would be very nice. I think the main bunkroom set is brilliant in XI/XII but, like with the TARDIS, it’s just nice to have a new interpretation every now and again.

GlenTokyo

Rimmer should be dressed like a technician in some way, less dressy.

I’d go for an Apollo style flight jacket in a hologram colour, and black trousers and boots.

Like V and VI but less quilted.

Lily

I’m the one that’s always banging on about how much I liked the Captain Emerald variety of uniforms. Both the beige and green had actual costume changes for the occasion which made him feel more like an real person.

Ever since we went red he’s been limited to uniform or nightwear. Even then the blue dressing gown in Dave Dwarf seems so big and bulky, I swear he’s just wearing it over the suit.

Problem with green/red is that you get people getting all anal about hard light / soft light. Like that matters …

Warbofrog

I like the idea of hologram outfits sticking to the primary colours of light, with that reflectiveness that’s either absent or less noticeable in the new blue. The current one’s also too bright and medical/dentist tunic looking, but mainly a bit boring now. Going back to dark green could be good, I was never fond of the V red.

bloodteller

I like the red, it looks cool

bloodteller

The blue tunic looked good in Back To Earth, I thought- but in X-XII it’s been altered, and now makes him look like a dentist. And a really shit dentist at that

Ben Saunders

A really shit dentist lmao

I like the red bit it could be because it reminds me of good episodes

Plastic Percy

I’d like the padded jacket from VI but in green.

Dave

On further reflection, I’d like the red trousers, the blue tunic and the green hat.

Flap Jack

I actually think Rimmer’s blue outfit is his best one overall. However, he’s had that colour scheme since 1993 (nano-Rimmer excepting) and it’s become very boring. The overly blue lighting for the XI-XII sets (and the Blue Midget parts of X) made him look dull against the background too, which didn’t help.

So yeah, I voted for green. Red would be fine too, but the beige Series 1-2 outfit would be way too much of a throwback to have as his standard outfit.

I also agree that having a bit more Series III-esque variance to his outfit – sometimes he’s in a T-shirt, sometimes he’s got a hat etc. – would help enormously.

bloodteller

Honestly, I think they should go for an all-new colour for his outfit in XIII instead of just going back to one they’ve done already

Bargain Bin Holly

I quite like Rimmer’s uniform from X-XII, its just he’s had it longer than any other outfit he’s worn (Not counting the beige uniform being redesigned for VIII) and its becoming duller as a result.

I still vouch for a new colour being introduced like yellow or orange, purple would be interesting too.

Recommendations I suggest for a possible redesign:
    1. Keep the badge he’s had since Series III, it wouldn’t be Captain Emerald/Bollocks without it
    2. Return to the boots, the boots should match the overall colour scheme but be lighter in colour (See Back to Earth’s Rimmer uniform)
    3. The ‘H’ should be a reflective dark blue to represent hard-light and keep people from complaining

Dave

I mean, no-one’s mentioning the obvious alternative of having Chris Barrie stark naked except for a shiny ‘H’.

Bargain Bin Holly

Well this isn’t a perfect world, Dave

Dax101

Its blue because its the hard light hologramme colour that they set up in series 6 to show when he is in his hard light form.

Problem is the show has over done the hard light stuff to the point where you forget that he was ever unable to touch and that holograms in general were unable to touch things.

Personally id rather they kept that rule of blue rather than just say fuck it and start muddling that water even more. heck i assume Doug even forgot about it in Skipper when Rimmer operated one of the panels as a hologramme in his series 1 gear.

Dave

They’ve shown him as a hardlight hologram in yellow and as Ace Rimmer, and we’ve seen other hardlight holograms in different clothes too, so it’s not like it’s a hard rule.

Warbofrog

I’ve always wondered how much Rimmer’s new series III costume was supposed to represent a redesigned Space Corps uniform in the new-look universe (more matte for non-holograms?), and whether the green and red in the Camille hologram and Holoship holograms (Harrison & Sam) was a personal choice or indicated division or something, before Rimmer’s was changed aesthetically.

I don’t think we see Space Corps uniforms again until Ouroboros, which has the parallel universe excuse but might have been a general redesign anyway before Remastered made Doug nostalgic for bringing back the beige.

bloodteller

>Remastered made Doug nostalgic for bringing back the beige.

Actually, early on in VIII’s production they were going to carry on with the blue uniforms from Ouroboros, but then decided to just go back to beige because they didn’t want to annoy the fans

bloodteller

Although Remastered did make Doug nostalgic for the bunkroom scenes, which is why there’s such a lot of them in VIII. Supposedly he also saw Stasis Leak and thought the Hollister-Rimmer-Lister scene worked really well, which lead to the creation of Pete

Dax101

>They’ve shown him as a hardlight hologram in yellow and as Ace Rimmer, and we’ve seen other hardlight holograms in different clothes too, so it’s not like it’s a hard rule.

Its not a rule but it helps.

Dax101

>I’ve always wondered how much Rimmer’s new series III costume was supposed to represent a redesigned Space Corps uniform in the new-look universe

I never really looked at it as a redesigned Space Corps uniform. but just more a uniform that suited Rimmers taste and personality.

Ben Paddon

Considering the current version of the uniform debuted in BTE almost a decade ago, is this the longest we’ve had Rimmer in one consistent uniform?

Bargain Bin Holly

Considering the current version of the uniform debuted in BTE almost a decade ago, is this the longest we’ve had Rimmer in one consistent uniform?

They’re a little different.

2018 09 10 00 21 35

But yes, the one from X-XII is the longest uniform Rimmer has consecutively worn (Not counting changes into other clothing for episode specific events such as Trojan, Officer Rimmer, or Skipper)

Paul Muller

There’s actually quite a difference between the BTE uniform and the X-XII one. The BTE costume was made of a lighter, two tone material with a sinched in band around the waist and collar and trousers which were padded, similar to the VI-VII material. The current tunic is more conventially suit-like. He also wore some quite peculiar boots, with a sort of blue sleeve. He now has a notably less ‘spacey’ pair of dress shoes, and in general the whole affair is looser fitting (presumably to afford Chris Barrie a more comfortable experience).

Paul Muller

Shit. In the time it took to write that post, BBH beat me to it.

Ben Paddon

I knew the top tunic was different, but I’d forgotten entirely about the pants and boots.

quinn_drummer

Despite the differences, I think in universe (and we as the audience are meant to see it as) it is the same uniform.

Also, the band around the waist got dropped during the making of BTE didn’t it? So it’s in some scenes shot early, like the Corrie stuff, but not in the whole thing.

Ben Saunders

How far can Rimmer go after taking off his holoboots before they disappear

Ben Kirkham

Love the red look on Rimmer.

Bargain Bin Holly

He also wore some quite peculiar boots, with a sort of blue sleeve.

Actually, Rimmer wore those boots during Series III, IV, V, and VII; it’s just during III & IV they were green and during V & VII they were red.

Plastic Percy

I liked his VI look – blue/red padded jacket and black boots. Wasn’t keen on VII when they added black piping to the blue jacket and gave him his old red boots.

Bargain Bin Holly

VII is actually my all-time favourite of all of Rimmer’s looks not going to lie, I thought the red boots better complimented the ensemble than VI’s solid black ones. I also thought Chris Barrie’s more shorter hair better suited the quilted jacket.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.