Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Robert Llewellyn on KYTV

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    John Hoare
    Participant

Robert Llewellyn with a strap-on carrot

I never watched KYTV before now, but I’m just making my way through it. And it’s FANTASTIC. The above grab comes from KY Tellython, and it’s a brilliant episode. The way they manage to wring EVERY POSSIBLE hilarious gag out of the money raised scoreboard is a sheer joy.

And Crisis Special feels like The Day Today done two years early…

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

The only one I vividly remember from watching back when it was originally on is the Challenge Anneka spoof. I got a torrent of it ages ago, but never got round to watching it all… I should hunt it down again, really.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

From Wikipedia :

In the second series KYTV merged with “BSE Television”, just as Sky merged with BSB. Curiously enough, the channel’s new name was also KYTV: it was decided to take the first two letters of KYTV, the last two of BSETV, and the result was: KYTV.

This made me chuckle a lot.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I used to love it but was a little disappointed when I watched some of it back recently.

I have fond memories of “You’ve Been Maimed” though, and the offer to get a free satellite dish with a free newspaper with the offer of a free satellite dish with a free newspaper [etc]. I think I’m rememebering that right.

I’m not a big fan of Robert’s gurning though.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Aw! They nicked my joke

If England and Scotland ever unified they should take half of each name and connect them together

So, England, then.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

>I?m not a big fan of Robert?s gurning though.

I think it’s the best thing about him, actually. Nothing Robert does makes me laugh more than when he pulls a silly face.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

That name gag is best done in Spitting Image, isn’t it? With David Steel and David Owen merging the Liberal Party and the SDP.

John Hoare
    Participant

The only one I vividly remember from watching back when it was originally on is the Challenge Anneka spoof.

Having now watched all of Series 1, I’d say that Challenge Anna is by far the best episode of Series 1, so it’s not surprising it’s the one that’s stuck in the memory the most. The ending is gloriously tasteless – and all before the watershed…

John Hoare
    Participant

Incidentally, for those who don’t own the DVDs, there’s a nice taster up on YouTube – the first ten minutes of the opening episode of Series 2, KY Tellython.

I still can’t get over how excellent the scoreboard stuff is. And the audience reaction is glorious. And the way Angus Deayton and Geoffrey Perkins slowly turn round…

thomasaevans
    Participant

Aha. Did’nt realise in the clip above with Angus, the actor alongside him played his gay brother in the last series of ‘One Foot in the Grave’.

John Hoare
    Participant

Comedy God Geoffrey Perkins – producer of countless amazing shows, including the original two series of the radio HHGTTG. Also, fact-fans – he walked on and introduced the episode of Hippies that I went to see recorded. God, they were so positive about it being a success. He also produced some episodes of Father Ted, and does the excellent voiceover for Father Hernandez at the start of The Passion of St Tibulus.

Although I’d completely forgotten he appeared in OFITG! I vaguely remember now. He’s so damn talented – to be both a great producer *and* an amazing performer. Incredible.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yeah, shame he doesn’t pop up in front of the camera more nowadays. He’s great in KYTV.

John Hoare
    Participant

Yep – if he wasn’t such a great producer, he’d be wasted behind the camera. He’s one of those people who just radiate comedy from every pore. And probably my favourite performer on KYTV (amongst some stiff competition).

Looking at IMDB, he appeared in an episode of The Catherine Tate Show – which he also produces. What a senseless waste.

Dave
    Participant

>he appeared in an episode of The Catherine Tate Show – which he also produces.

I think I feel a Jackson Pollock coming on

John Hoare
    Participant

Incidentally, for those who don’t own the DVDs, there’s a nice taster up on YouTube – the first ten minutes of the opening episode of Series 2, KY Tellython.

I’ve just realised that this isn’t the first ten minutes – it’s a (rather well put together) compilation of highlights from the show. Which means that all five scoreboard gags are there.

Actually, KYTV is *great* at running jokes, now I come to think of it. And whilst I like some running jokes that are merely repetition (and as much as I love it, Keeping Up Appearances does just that), KYTV does it properly, and adds something new each time. Great stuff.

pfm
    Participant

> Incidentally, for those who don?t own the DVDs, there?s a nice taster up on YouTube – the first ten minutes of the opening episode of Series 2, KY Tellython.

A perfectly sublime piece of TV right there. If only ANYTHING was as good now.

John Hoare
    Participant

A perfectly sublime piece of TV right there. If only ANYTHING was as good now.

I must admit, I have to agree. Although I do think comedy at the moment is better than it was, say, five years ago. Then we really WERE in a drought – at least, of comedy shows that I liked.

Also, look at this review:

“It’s studio sets do seem a little dated now but that’s a minor quibble – the humour content is high enough to make for enjoyable viewing.”

PROGRAMME MADE IN 1991 THAT SPOOFS TELEVISION MADE IN 1991 HAS SETS THAT LOOK LIKE THEY’RE FROM 1991 SHOCKER. What do they expect, for the show to spoof how 2008 programmes look 17 years early?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

When it comes to running gags (which I tend to love) Arrested Development is the absolute modern master. Everyone here should watch it RIGHT NOW.

John Hoare
    Participant

I’ve just noticed that in the opening shot of KY Tellython, the studio cameras have got great big KYTV stickers on the side. Which is brilliant. Such a lovely detail, and it’s gone in a flash.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Thorougly depressing conversation about Geoffrey Perkins, there.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

KY Jellython?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.