Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    p2p_productions
    Participant

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=87439

I guess if you’re going have a go at remaking a classic, you might as well start by exploring a radically different direction (conceptually, at least). Loving this proposed open armour design for old Murphy, not so keen on his new visor, but then it is marked ‘V-01’…

More here: http://pgerrard.blogspot.com/2012/02/updated-some-old-robo-images.html

si
    Participant

So, they’ve cast this Joel Kinnaman guy in the role, yeah? News that he greeted the news with “Fuck me! Fuck Me!” is unconfirmed.

Kris Carter
    Participant

Hmmm. I don’t know how this makes me feel…

p2p_productions
    Participant

Personally, I’m cautiously optimistic for the reboot. For me, Weller will always be RoboCop, but from a design perspective, this has definitely peaked my interest.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Silvio Berlusconi would do a good job. Post op robocop obviously

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Depends if they make this Robocop a satire on “big corporation” culture and the media like the original movie. Or just another action flick starring a half man half machine hero cop like all the Robocop sequels.

p2p_productions
    Participant

If you can, do try and check out a copy of Frank Miller’s RoboCop 2 (the original story in comic book form). I think you’ll find it’s pleasantly insane.

si
    Participant

I feel I should be honest. Robocop is one of those films on that list of mine that includes Alien and, prior to BtE, Blade Runner. I know, sorry.

p2p_productions
    Participant

Si, RoboCop is an intelligent, well-shot, funny, compelling, multi-layered, beautifully-composed classic. What’s there to apologise about? :)

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

It also has a big fuck off robot called Ed209 that shoots shit!

si
    Participant

I’m apologising for not having seen it. Same as I’ve not seen the Alien movies etc. Lots of classics I’ve never seen.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I’m the same. Although Alien, Bladerunner and Robocop are on the “seen loads and hope to watch loads more” list. Godfather…..I’ve never seen Godfather.

Am also struggling to get excited about the Avengers movie having only seen the first Ironman movie. Not seen the latest Hulk one, or Thor or Captain America. All on the “I’ll get around to it soon” list

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’ve never seen the Godfather trilogy either.

Robocop 1 and 2 are such fantastically ridiculous films, Robocop 3 has been sat unopened in my box set since i bought it.

p2p_productions
    Participant

>I’m apologising for not having seen it. Same as I’ve not seen the Alien movies etc. Lots of classics I’ve never seen.

Oh, wow. Check ’em out, Si!

>I’ve never seen the Godfather trilogy either.

Oh, wow. Check ’em out, Dan!

>Not seen the latest Hulk one, or Thor or Captain America.

They’re not bad films as such, but I found them fairly repetitive and/or underwhelming. They all look the same. They all sound the same. They all start the same. They all end the same. Pick one – watch it three times.

>Robocop 3 has been sat unopened in my box set since i bought it.

That’s also probably for the best. Frankly, RoboCop 3 for the Amiga 500 has more depth, complexity and suspense than the film, imo.

ChrisM
    Participant

I disagreed with the idea of a reboot for Robocop. Still do, in principal, as to my mind the only films that should be rebooted should be those that were poor*.

I do think that image an interesting take though, if a bit messy (and I’m not a fan of that visor either.) I like the other big robot design. And this blurb on that site** sparks my curiosity:

“I have my take on it,” Padilha told ComingSoon.net late last year, “And I can tell you this: In the first ‘RoboCop’ when Alex Murphy is shot, gunned down, then you see some hospitals and stuff and then you cut to him as RoboCop. My movie is between those two cuts. How do you make RoboCop? How do you slowly bring a guy to be a robot? How do you actually take humanity out of someone and how do you program a brain, so to speak, and how does that affect an individual?”

*Granted that’s subjective. And there are exceptions. The 70s Invasions of the Bodysnatchers is my favourite, but I did see it first. I saw the earlier version, and although I didn’t like it as much as the other it wasn’t bad at all. I guess The Fly would fit that category too although I’ve yet to see the original all the way through.

ChrisM
    Participant

Oh, and the shape of Robocop’s right gun is reminiscent of Judge Dredd’s mark 2 Lawgiver. (The comic version.)

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

It is impossible for me not to read this thread title in Dr. Zoidberg’s voice.

locusceruleus
    Participant

So I was the only one opening this thread hoping for news of a revival of the 90’s CGI animation ‘ReBoot’?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Yes.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.