Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Saga Continuums – a Red Dwarf fanedit series

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Back in 2014, a young faneditor named Sean McDonnell, who was a member of this very forum until he turned to evil, created two (well, three technically, as he made a second version of one of them) feature-length fanedits of Series VII and VIII.
    I come to you now to tell you that since October of 2021, I have been working (with the aid of our own KT) on my own such endeavour to create four 90-minute “specials” that, when watched in sequence, tell a much tighter, and hopefully more Dwarf-y version of events following Out of Time.
    At the time of writing the first of these, Canaries, is completed has been submitted for listing on IFDb, the Internet Fanedit Database, though at the moment that’s currently slightly stalled for reasons I’ll explain in a later post.
    Anyway, the edit is functionally complete and for legal reasons is not currently available on any platforms, though I intend to eventually upload a password-protected version to Vimeo as soon as this whole listing thing is straightened out.  In the meantime, if you want to watch it, contact me on Discord and I’ll pass a link to you.  (No, I’m not going to tell you what it is.  
    Canaries comprises the events of Cassandra through Only the Good…, and if I do say so myself is a massive improvement over the original episodes, with such changes as follows in the non-exhaustive list below:
    • No more pencil Dwarf
    • No more fat jokes
    • All long/repetitive gags have been significantly trimmed down
    • The entire A-plot of Krytie TV has been removed – in the new sequence, Kill Crazy has the idea before boarding the Silverberg, and subsequently forgets about it when he has his head injury
    • The Time Wand is onboard the Silverberg, thus removing the need for a separate trip to a separate ship
    • The sequence of events is re-ordered so that Kryten and Kochanski’s revenge on Lister for the period prank is to trick him into trashing and then cleaning Ackerman’s quarters on live television
    Pete now explicitly follows on from Krytie TV
    • Virtually all conceivable filler in Pete is gone – Hollister’s punishment for the prank is the spud duty, Pete’s rampage is significantly shortened, the cow vindaloo is omitted entirely, and Baxter and Kill Crazy never steal the Time Wand
    • Rimmer and Lister are now hospitalised as a result of the delayed fight scene
    • Via rotoscoping, Birdman is among the escaping crewmembers when they discover the microbe
    • No, I didn’t use the alternate ending, because it’s unfinished, it lacks foley and finished effects, and one scene is missing a laugh track, now please stop asking me that
    One of the recent additions made at the suggestion of the IFDb reviewer was a short “life in prison” montage using various VIII moments that hadn’t made it into my cut, and one beta watcher told me that the scene, and I’m paraphrasing here, made them nostalgic for Series VIII in a way that actually watching VIII itself could never quite evoke.  I’m quite proud of that, and I’m strongly considering getting the quote printed and framed.
    Next I plan to tackle Series VII.  As there’s less of an obvious through-line between these I have a feeling this is going to be a tougher edit, but nevertheless, I intend to try my very best on it, and you can be sure that’ll be submitted to IFDb when finished as well.  Wish me luck!

I might as well address the aforementioned stumbling block in the application process now – I hadn’t actually intended to go public with this edit so soon, but I’m at an impasse and I don’t know what to do.
    This is a distress call.  I’m very distressed.
    Below I’m going to post a short excerpt that will show off how I managed to segue from the Time Wand scene back into Cassandra.  This involved a great deal of what I seem to increasingly refer to as “frankensteining”, for several reasons.  Please ignore the incorrect aspect ratio, it’s from an earlier render.  See attached.

As you can see, that’s just a mite abrupt, and the reviewer – quite rightly – pointed this out and told me that the edit couldn’t be considered for review until, in their own words, a “better narrative bridge” could be constructed.
    Unfortunately, if there is any such way of bridging the two better, I’ve no clue how to make it.  Just getting Geraldine to say one full line that was remotely relevant to the situation was a feat Disney still has yet to perfect.
    I need your guyses’ help.  I need ideas.  Anyone who knows enough about the VIII material that might be able to suggest some way of doing it.
    Help me, G&T.  You’re my only hope.

Why is it that the video only ever embeds properly in the editor?  Then again, I seem to have a lot of trouble posting videos on here.  Any time I try to embed a YouTube video it tells me I’m possibly breaking the law and posting suspicious content that has been blocked.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Ooh! I remember you talking about fan editing, so very cool to hear that those ideas are bearing fruit. Just seeing it all laid out, I’m getting kind of hyped! They all seem like good changes, especially the complete excision of the Krytie TV A plot (I know Pete is justifiably considered worse overall, but Krytie TV is easily more offensive and out of character as far as I’m concerned). I’m also intrigued by the ambition of the Birdman rotoscoping.

I’m a bit surprised people kept asking you to use the alternate Only The Good… ending. Since Back to Earth came out, the fact that Series VIII ended on a cliffhanger really shouldn’t be as big of a deal – and the alternate ending is kind of contradicted by The Beginning anyway (because if they defeated the microbes after Rimmer successfully retrieved the formula for the antidote from the mirror universe, then it shouldn’t really be in doubt that he saved the day).

On the subject of Only The Good’s ending, I just had a thought – does ‘Canaries’ keep “The End? The Smeg It Is.”? I don’t feel strongly either way, but I can see the argument for cutting a cringe-inducing caption, or replacing it with “To Be Continued… Eventually” or something.

Regarding your current issue,

1. Don’t believe the text editor’s lies. This forum has a finite amount of HTML tags and attributes it will support, and that unfortunately doesn’t include everything the text editor allows you to preview, even just counting the stuff you can create without switching to code view and back. The ‘video’ tag unfortunately does not seem to be supported (ditto the ‘width’ attribute for images).

2. The non-embedded video link doesn’t work for me, but if you can get a link working, I’m happy to try and think of ideas.

Have you tried removing the “&#8243” from the URL?
    Yes, “the smeg it is” remains.  I was so focused on the narrative I never gave it much thought.  I guess there’s nothing wrong with leaving it there in much the same way some editors of The Phantom Menace leave Jar-Jar intact.

Here’s a non-embedded link to the YouTube version, because if I try to embed it I get complaints from the government – https://youtu.be/H5b4vxzPTi8

Flap Jack
    Participant

Ah! That worked, thanks.

The cuts are indeed very sudden. Seeing Kochanski going down those steps 2 seconds after we see her ‘react’ to Cassandra’s interruption is especially unreal. I, uh… don’t suppose there are any establishing shots of the Silverburg that suit having that classic scene transition music put over it?

Ah yes, well you see, in this edit I tried to remove as many CGI shots as possible and replace them with practical model shots from earlier series, so the Silverberg in this edit is portrayed by the Esperanto from Back to Reality.

Actually, that’s a pretty good idea.  I’ll try that out shortly, thanks for that.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Cool, no problem.

I do understand the aversion to the CGI, but maybe it’s an acceptable compromise to keep it when it’s establishing stuff unique to Series VIII. The pencil Dwarf is the main offender.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Right, let me try and sort out the video posting stuff for good.

[Edit: I think this is sorted now? Feel free to test out in this thread, Future Producer, and I’ll fix any remaining embedding issues you get]

Wow, that actually seems to have worked.  I don’t know what you did, but well done!  I’ll test it out now actually, it just so happens that I’ve had a go at trying out that establishing shot idea.

Edit: It works!  Siri, play Victory by Darren and Stephen Loveday!

Flap Jack
    Participant

Sweet, that already flows so much better! Ideally I think there would be bit more of a gap between the end of Cassandra’s line and the scene transition, but I assume you’ve got limited footage of the 3 characters just standing around to work with.

A couple of other things occurred:

1. It’s strange to think about the Canaries doing missions in Starbug, even though logically there’s no reason they couldn’t have done. I think maybe it’s because Starbug was the replacement for Red Dwarf as a main setting for 2 series, and them returning to Red Dwarf and exploding that Starbug felt like a line being drawn under the Starbug based shenanigans.

2. In the final 2 shots, should they be the other way around? (Or the Rimmer/Lister one not be there at all.) Because to me it seems like Rimmer and Lister are reacting to Kochanski’s entrance, but having a half second reaction as the very first thing in a scene feels a bit odd. Although maybe it’s needed for what comes after.

By the way, I’d never heard of Sean McDonnell, but I found his Dailymotion. I assume his turn to evil was him cropping BBC Red Dwarf to widescreen? Can’t disagree with the assessment if so.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Wow, that actually seems to have worked.

Yay! I’ve achieved it by probably giving you lot a few more WordPress permissions than is strictly sensible, but oh well.

Warbodog
    Participant

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Our 404 page predicted this.

Yay! I’ve achieved it by probably giving you lot a few more WordPress permissions than is strictly sensible, but oh well.

Is this because of the whole Dave B thing?  Because I swear I’ve long since gotten over that lol.

Sweet, that already flows so much better!

Excellent!  I’ve already had a few other people say the same thing, so now we just have to hope that the submission reviewer agrees.

Ideally I think there would be bit more of a gap between the end of Cassandra’s line and the scene transition, but I assume you’ve got limited footage of the 3 characters just standing around to work with.

You would be absolutely right there.

A couple of other things occurred:
    1. It’s strange to think about the Canaries doing missions in Starbug, even though logically there’s no reason they couldn’t have done. I think maybe it’s because Starbug was the replacement for Red Dwarf as a main setting for 2 series, and them returning to Red Dwarf and exploding that Starbug felt like a line being drawn under the Starbug based shenanigans.

Yeah, I didn’t want to use Starbug initially, I’d actually originally planned to use some model shots from Star Cops to show some new craft, but I couldn’t find any useable footage anywhere for a satisfactory submersible craft, so I had to abandon that idea.  I did make an attempt at changing Starbug’s colour to imply it’s a prison variant though, and I managed to sneak in one Star Cops shot, so it’s not a total loss.

2. In the final 2 shots, should they be the other way around? (Or the Rimmer/Lister one not be there at all.) Because to me it seems like Rimmer and Lister are reacting to Kochanski’s entrance, but having a half second reaction as the very first thing in a scene feels a bit odd. Although maybe it’s needed for what comes after.

Well, it’s only natural they’re going to be a bit jumpy and respond to unexpected sounds quicker in a situation where there may or may not be a terrifying monster lurking round any corner that devoured three whole battalions, bones and all.  And on the editing side, there really wasn’t a lot of space to fit them in on the other side of Kochanski’s line what with the crossfade.

By the way, I’d never heard of Sean McDonnell, but I found his Dailymotion. I assume his turn to evil was him cropping BBC Red Dwarf to widescreen? Can’t disagree with the assessment if so.

You assume correctly.  Twisted and evil.

McD, as I call him, has posted on the site previously under the handle srmcd1, but he’s not been on in quite a long time.  I only saw his own movie edit of VIII because a friend had a copy floating around, and let me tell you, it was okay-ish but I found a couple of his editing choices questionable (for example, he cut out Krytie TV’s B-plot and left in the A-plot, albeit minus the bedroom trashing).  To his credit though, I did find one or two editing tricks he did pretty impressive, to the point that I referenced/borrowed two of them in my own.

Flap Jack
    Participant

All very good explanations! Fingers crossed you get the approval.

Thank you!  I’ll be keeping mine crossed lol.

srmcd1
    Participant

McD, as I call him, has posted on the site previously under the handle srmcd1, but he’s not been on in quite a long time.  I only saw his own movie edit of VIII because a friend had a copy floating around, and let me tell you, it was okay-ish but I found a couple of his editing choices questionable (for example, he cut out Krytie TV’s B-plot and left in the A-plot, albeit minus the bedroom trashing).  To his credit though, I did find one or two editing tricks he did pretty impressive, to the point that I referenced/borrowed two of them in my own.

*shrugs*

Fan Editing is a spectrum. We all experience it differently. But I’m glad to see a new take on Series VIII (I only did Series VII as a dare), so I can’t wait to see the finished product!

And I’ve been around. Just haven’t had anything to say in the last few years lol

Flap Jack
    Participant

Oh my, we summoned him! Exciting to hear from you, srmcd1.

As long as you’re chill, I am prepared to dismiss your experiments with 16:9 as a youthful indiscretion.

srmcd1
    Participant

Oh no, I’m pure evil. 100 percent. Muahahaha and stuff.

But yeah, I did that almost a decade ago, and after looking back at these edits, I would totally do certain bits and bobs differently.

Oh hey, nice to finally catch you McD!  I shot you a message on your WordPress, dunno if you’ve seen it.  I had a read of a script you wrote, it was very good.  I’d actually thought of contacting you about doing an audio adaptation of it with some friends.  I’m most gratified at the vote of confidence and I hope the edit lives up to expectations!

Btw, someone suggested I include your edit as a special feature.  I’m still on the fence but having your opinion would be much appreciated.

srmcd1
    Participant

To be honest, I have trouble remembering sometimes that I even have a WordPress lol but I never got the message and can’t seem to find it on the site. One of these days, I’ll figure out technology. But I’m gratified you liked something I wrote, and I am totally fine with you doing an audio adaptation and including my edit. Cheers!

Always a pleasure, and thank you very much!  I hope it all works out on the tech front lol.
    So my last version didn’t seem to address the problem either, but I’ve got a better understanding of exactly what the issue is now.  As I understand it, the examiner feels that Kochanski’s running down the stairs isn’t forecast enough, and Cassandra’s appearing out of the blue (almost literally) and saying Kryten is a bit too left field.  I’ve got an idea on how to address both of these but it’s dependent on what material is available (as in the episode she just runs down the stairs with no fanfare, and I’m struggling to think of a moment where Cassandra says “it’s”), so stay tuned.

Well, it worked.  I think the edit’s almost ready for approval, but I’m gonna have one last shot at something not too major but probably worth trying to improve before I submit *the* final version.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.