Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum scene in new Bill n Ted film is very similar to “Out of Time” (spoilers)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    tombow
    Participant

I haven’t seen it, but I’ve seen some clips on youtube and there’s a section where they meet a slightly older (5 years I think) version of themselves who are fat and greedy and unlikable. The film then has a plotline of them trying to avoid this future –

si
    Participant

THE MOVIE IS NOT YET OUT IN THE UK OF COURSE THERE IS NO WAY I COULD POSSIBLY HAVE SEEN IT OH NO SIR NOT ME

I hadn’t even considered Out of Time when I saw it. It’s a bit of a sci-fi trope to have a future you want to avoid, and part of that is making the characters unlike people to themselves.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

If we’re doing spoilers, I would make a distinction about how this bit of B&T differs from Out of Time. But I don’t think we’re doing spoilers so.

Dave
    Participant

I’m not reading this thread until I see the movie, but I’d just like to point out that Bill and Ted melvined Death way before Rimmer kicked him in the nuts.

RealBigOleDummy
    Participant

Just watched Bill and Ted’s newest movie a couple of days ago. I kinda have to agree with quinn _ drummer though. Its such an old concept I never associated it with “Out of Time” or Red Dwarf at all. Great little movie though.

Shoes Have Soles
    Participant

I watched it last week and enjoyed it a lot. Ok it won’t win any Oscars but was a heartfelt effort with plenty of good gags. I am probably the target audience being a bloke approaching middle age so not sure if anyone under 30 will watch it.

Films like this kinda make you wonder what a RD movie could have been like.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

It’s just lovely. Every part of it.

And I’m in the ‘liking Dennis’ camp, so that probably helps.

I really loved it, but it felt like there was too much going on. And I found the girls story much more interesting than the boys. I honestly wouldn’t have minded if it had focused on them doing their story and somewhat echoing their dads first adventure.

But that’s just a quibble really. It had a really really strong and funny opening 20mins, a bit of a messy middle that was still fun and enjoyable, and a strong ending which holds up to the others (especially Bogus Journey)

clem
    Participant

I had high hopes and wasn’t disappointed, and I suspect I’ll like it even more when I see it again. Very charming, good-natured, did everything it needed to do. Kind of a mash-up of the first two films but its own thing as well. Maybe a little bit too knowing in one or two places and I agree there was a bit too much all happening at once but these are niggles. It was delightful.

Ridley
    Participant

[The Small Boy From The McCain’s Oven Chip Ad Who Says “Most excellent” in a Posh Voice, When Obviously It’s Only a Cool Thing To Say If You’re American and in the Bill & Ted Films]
    Most excellent.
    [/The Small Boy From The McCain’s Oven Chip Ad Who Says “Most excellent” in a Posh Voice, When Obviously It’s Only a Cool Thing To Say If You’re American and in the Bill & Ted Films]

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I was a bit underwhelmed by it, but wanted to love it and so was rooting for it throughout. It succeeds on charm. I think I’d have preferred something different rather than a mash-up of 1 and 2. Maybe some alternate dimensions or visits to other planets, rather than bouncing around time and then a quick detour to Hell to pick up Death.

I found the B+T story repetitive, and the daughter story lacking a bit of invention. I’d include a comment about the Princesses story, but since that was obviously cut, there’s not much to say.

Despite this, I liked the ending and the grand reveal that it was the a) the daughters who wrote the song – and b) it wasn’t so much the fact that the song was amazing, just that everyone in the world united to play along. That’s totally in keeping with this series.

And yet, and yet…Bogus Journey is still the ending I want to remember for these characters. I realise that Solomon and Matheson weren’t responsible for all those newspaper headlines in the end credits, but they worked for me for 29 years.

Winter and Sadler were great in their old roles. I’m a huge fan of Keanu but his older Ted just didn’t work for me. He just seemed to lack the optimistic puppy-dog charm of Ted, although I appreciate the moments where it was up to him to think laterally as that was always his big attribute. Dennis didn’t work for me, and seemed particularly superfluous when Death turned up. I adore Holland Taylor but the plotline with her deciding to send Dennis to kill Bill and Ted for…reasons…was just bizarre.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I liked it when Death said “let’s rock” because… it made me want to rock.

si
    Participant

I loved it, and already had a big grin on my face before the first couple of minutes had even passed.
    I think maybe a lot of what I thought of the movie was partly nostalgia and general love for them (found this in my second viewing), but it’s just such a comforting, happy, life affirming thing to have in such a Godawful shitty year.

(Though I have got to say that I had a fair idea of what would happen from the moment I heard the “Preston-Logan”in the trailer the other month.)

Favourite visual:future Bill’s pathetic combover really made me laugh. Even better than Future Cat’s.

clem
    Participant

> I’m a huge fan of Keanu but his older Ted just didn’t work for me. He just seemed to lack the optimistic puppy-dog charm of Ted, although I appreciate the moments where it was up to him to think laterally as that was always his big attribute.

I quite liked the way Bill and Ted were more different than each other than in the other films. Ted telling Bill he’d had his guitars valued and “I’m tired” was particularly touching. There were one or two other nice poignant moments but the stuff with the deathbed selves didn’t do it for me. Not sure what they were going for there.

> Solomon and Matheson weren’t responsible for all those newspaper headlines in the end credits

Huh, I didn’t know that. They’re great, especially “We have nothing bad to say about them”. There was no mention of De Nomelos in the excellent little rundown of Missy’s relationship history at the wedding, so presumably she didn’t go through with marrying him.

I did appreciate how they got the same actress back to play Missy.

Considering the Princesses have never had the same actress in any film, they could have easily re-cast Missy for that scene but managed to get her, which was cool.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I’ve not had time to watch the film yet, and so I’ve only skimmed this thread, but just wanted to congratulate Ridley for the comprehensiveness and accuracy of that incredibly obscure reference.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.