Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum SERIES XI PREMIER IN EDINBURGH TOMORROW

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Anyone going? I’ll be there … and it also looks like Doug, Craig, and Bobbie will be turning up, too:

http://www.filmhousecinema.com/showing/red-dwarf-q-and-a-with-doug-naylor-aug16/

MANI506
    Participant

I would love to see footage of the Q & A or get a podcast of it after Twentica has aired.

I won’t be recording sadly (don’t use iphones, don’t use social media … except for this, obviously), but I’m happy to post about it some time afterwards.

pendo86
    Participant

I’ll be there. Looking forward to it. Of course, I won’t be able to discuss the episode, but if there’s anything interesting for the Q&A I can share, I will do.

MANI506
    Participant

Pendo’s Premier Coooock – looking forward to it!

Pendo’s Coffee Cock On Tour.

kingpin
    Participant

I was at the premiere today…mixed feelings on the episode but a genuinely fun way to start the series. Big laughs, decent effects and excellent sets…you can definitely see dave have chucked some more cash into the budget. Have to say I was disappointed in the Q&A….great to see Craig, Doug and Robert on stage but only 3 questions were asked.

Also, to whoever else happened to be there…was I the only one bewildered at way the lady in front said “legion”? Lol

Iain Legion.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

i see one of the UKTV peeps has revealed a guest star for this episode:

pendo86
    Participant

Pendo’s Premier Coffee Lounge Cock on Tour??

Haha.
    My cock has been on tour too many times! Trust me, that’s not something you want to encourage!

Not gonna say anything about the episode but really enjoyed the whole experience today.

Not much revealed in the Q&A other than the accidental reveal of a guest star in a Series XII episode which I won’t repeat here but I think a lot of people missed it because it hasn’t been tweeted.

Doug said there’s a possibility for two more series but they don’t think there’ll be any more after that due to the cast aging.

A guest star from Twentica has been revealed as Lucie Pohl.

Robert Llewellyn once ate a deep-fried pizza and I was left wondering why I had never tried this culinary delight.

That’s about it really.

XIII and XIV – Autumn 2018 and 19?

Chris will be 59 in 2019, Craig 55, Danny 59 and Robert 63.

If Doug plans to make two more and call it a day, I’m thinking he won’t leave them out in deep space forever. We may see the return of an overall arc with the slime coming home and multi-part episodes leading up to a grand finale but considering how well XI and XII have been received by fans who saw the recordings, I’m not worried about allusion to VIII and the wacky prison shenanigans!!!!1!1!!!111

I do love VIII but they’re like pantomime characters all the way through it, their personalities turned up several notches.

Ridley
    Participant

(Jez and Pendo;’ Coffee Lounge Frot)

Pendo’s Coffee & Cottaging Cock.

Sorry.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

The Q&A, though short, was fantastic. Craig, Bobby, and Doug were thoroughly entertaining and made the event what it was. Doug confirmed that we will get another two series, at the very least.

And now the bad news:

I can’t talk about the plot, obviously, but here’s my general impression. Although it needs time to sink in, and could benefit from another viewing, I really wasn’t into the episode. It felt incredibly pantomimey in places, and I don’t know what’s going on with Chris Barrie but it was like he wasn’t really there, and what we were left with was this odd facsimile of Rimmer like someone had taken his character and parodied the basic elements for an episode of CBBC’s Horrible Histories or something (no idea how that works). This is a massive shame, as I really wanted to come back and say positive things about this episode.

In retrospect, and apart from the first scene, I really liked Back To Earth. I liked every episode – and yes, ESPECIALLY Dear Dave – of series X. This new one just didn’t work for me in comparison.

For those of whom it may concern — relax, Kryten’s mask is just fine. It looks like Kryten, and nothing like the promo picture suggests. However … be prepared for a shock, as Krytie really does seem to be going through a mid life crisis, and has piled on 5 stone. Utterly bizarre.

Positives:

The new intro credit sequence is easily the best since series VI. Hands down.
    The visual fx are superb. Insanely so, in fact.
    It’s new Red Dwarf … maybe it’ll grow on me with another watch? I want to love it — but I hey, I didn’t even like Lemons on first viewing, and now for me it’s a classic, so what do I know, right?

Dax101
    Participant

Might lower my expectations judging by a couple of these reactions

RickLee84
    Participant

This is the problem for me. If it all is the same as VII, VIII, BTE and X (pantomime-y acting and not that funny) but with some extra money thrown at it so it looks better on screen than before, then what was the point? The cast and Doug talk about having known each other for so long and get on so well etc., then surely Doug should have been able to reign in the performances and tell them they are going to pantomime-y and to stop it. He should have made them re-watch S3/4/5/6 as homework and tell them that’s how the characters should behave and interact. We don’t want to see wacky versions of the characters who seem completely different than they did before. The stories could be good and the effects could be fantastic, but if the acting/characterisation isn’t, then you’ve lost it completely.

kingpin
    Participant

I agree that some moments in the episode were pantomimey but there were some decent laughs throughout. I found there was almost too much to take in on the first viewing, particularly with a crowd. I found it off putting to have one bloke behind me exaggerating his laugh during every scene just cause he was in an audience.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>The new intro credit sequence is easily the best since series VI. Hands down.

This is very, very true.

si
    Participant

Four weeks*. It’s such a long wait.

* or three online. Whatever.

Or no more than four months if you wish to obtain my exclusive VHS editions.

I realise my Series X VHS is still to see the light of day.

Just… wait, it’ll work out.

pfm
    Participant

http://www.fullychargedshow.co.uk/red-dwarf/2016/8/25/red-dwarf-xi-the-first-viewing

Bobby’s take, there. Plus a new cast shot pic I’ve not seen.

anniescribe
    Participant

Looking forward to the series. Haven’t decided yet if I want to watch Twentica on Sept. 15 or wait until its premiere on my birthday to do so, but I suspect I’ll probably cave and watch it early so I can react in real time with a lot of other fans.

On the point of making the characters do mid-series homework (the overall series that is, not a single series – or as we Americans call it, a season) to prep for this one, I’m not sure if that’s ideal, or a potential mistake. I suppose “pantomimey” may be a thing in XI, not having seen it; I only noticed it really once in Series X with Chris and his “Shakespeare is OVER!” bit. But there’s a difference between saying “wish it weren’t pantomimey” and “these characters should act like they did 20 years and five seasons ago.” Yes, there are personality traits an adult always maintains, but other things can change, like interpersonal relationships or reactions (i.e., I’m a lot more chill about certain things in my mid-40s than I was when I was 22, which is incidentally when I began watching Red Dwarf). Hell, there are changes the characters exhibit from Series 1 to Series 6, that could make some moments in 6 look pantomimey to someone who really liked Series 1-2, I suppose.

curtis
    Participant

Just left let the Manchester screening. Titbits of note from the Q and A (sorry if any of these have been covered elsewhere):

Sets from X were water damaged and had to be rebuilt for XI.
    Twentica was selected as the opener over Doug’s preferred episode as the other episode looks like it has a small budget. He gave the episode number; is it spoilery of me to say?
    “We rebooted on 10. It’s the original Rimmer.” I think he’s mistaken but that’s what he said.
    He seemed pretty certain about both 13 and 14 and that he’d take a rain check after that.

Moonlight
    Participant

But there’s a difference between saying “wish it weren’t pantomimey” and “these characters should act like they did 20 years and five seasons ago.”

I get the feeling a lot of people are so focused on wanting the show to be identical the the classics that they end up discounting a performance as “off” not because there’s anything wrong with it, but because it’s different.

For example, Homer Simpson’s voice is now very different from it was in 1993. Personally I much prefer his voice and performance from back then, but I’m not going to say the modern equivalent is inferior. It still feels like the same character, it’s just different. Furthermore, my love for the older performance is driven by the fact that not only have I been watching those episodes all my life, they’re also far funnier.

It’s easy to say you should do it this way, but isolating an overall performance outside the context of earlier episodes and judging it purely on its own merits is difficult. You can’t unsee the classics you’ve been watching for many years.

When people use the word ‘pantomime-like’ (or parody-esque, however you want to phrase it), half of the time it’s hyperbole and half of the time they mean exactly that. Call it self-parody, call it contrived, call it ‘pantomime’ if you want to make a point. Personally, I’m not hankering for series 1-6 to be brought magically back to life and the actors to de-age into younger versions of themselves. I just want them to act in character, without coming across as a pastiche of that character (there’s another word for you, Katie, and I thought that one up all by myself — just like all of the other words that I used). Caricature would probably be the most accurate if you want to be a self righteous internet lexicon nazi about it (not implying that you would…).

I’m done with the cyclic nature of this argument. It is, quite literally, pointless.

If you can’t tell the difference between an actor ‘in character’ compared to someone just ‘phoning it in’ for want of another expression, again — that’s your problem.

This conversation is so dull and uninspired that I can feel my own brain cells dying at the thought of having to explain this one more time. You’re either incredibly simple minded or you’re just not willing to accept that this is what a lot of people think about some of the latter episodes or Red Dwarf (for the record I think that you’re clearly intelligent! And probably a nice person, too). I’ll remind you one more time that I LIKED series X for the most part, and I also LIKED the new trailer. All of it.

Moonlight
    Participant

You’re either incredibly simple minded or you’re just not willing to accept that this is what a lot of people think about some of the latter episodes or Red Dwarf

I was saying that I think it’s very easy to judge the performances more harshly when you’re comparing it to the older episodes than you would if you’d never seen them. I never said that everybody does this, or refused to accept people can hate new Dwarf simply because they don’t enjoy it. Of course they can. None of this was intended to discredit anyone else’s opinion. I’m prone to comparing new episodes to the old in the same way.

I’ll remind you one more time that I LIKED series X for the most part, and I also LIKED the new trailer. All of it.

None of that was directed at you. I was speaking in general. I only quoted part of your post because you mentioned the idea of people expecting the show to be the same as it was 20 years ago and that’s what I was expanding on.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Twentica was selected as the opener over Doug’s preferred episode as the other episode looks like it has a small budget. He gave the episode number; is it spoilery of me to say?

I’d be interested to know which he means! If it’s the one I think it is, then it’s my favourite of the series, but I wouldn’t necessarily have had it as the opener.

Tried to correct that spelling mistake but the forum just won’t let me do it. Takes me to a blank page with a few lines from my post (unalterable). How odd..

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t worry – I’ve deleted your post as it contravened our spoiler policy. Don’t do that again.

Didn’t they announce that particular detail RE this episode?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Nope. No guest cast have been officially announced yet, although Justine Bower (who works for UKTV Press) has named one on Twitter. But not the one you were referring to.

curtis
    Participant

SEB: I’d be interested to know which he means! If it’s the one I think it is, then it’s my favourite of the series, but I wouldn’t necessarily have had it as the opener.

It is indeed the one you said was your favourite last week.

Ah, apologies — crossed wires over that one.

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

People who haven’t seen it yet can still guess though, can’t they.
    I guess Kevin McNally as “Dadbot”!? Mark Lamarr as Angry Alien #3?
    Widow Twankey as Herself…?

Rob Grant as a slimmed-down former shadow of himself.

In a kilt.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.