Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Shortlist Top Ten

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dave
    Participant

Free magazine discarded on tube featured Red Dwarf in it’s Top Ten List of Television Idiots. The list in full:

1 – Baldrick (Blackadder)
    2 – Frank Spencer (Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em)
    3 – Trigger (Only Fools & Horses)
    4 – Homer Simpson (The Simpsons)
    5 – Father Dougal (Father Ted)
    6 – Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
    7 – Woody Boyd (Cheers)
    8 – Gareth Keenan (The Office)
    9 – Arnold Rimmer (Red Dwarf)
    10 – Rick (The Young Ones)

And here’s what they say about Rimmer:
    “If you’re a hologram, not a person, and therefore practically immortal, you’d think you’d have fun rather than dwell in a state of perpetual denial at your lack of wit, social grace and intelligence; one that renders you a walking pamphlet on resentment”

Didn’t someone on this site write a very good article about how Rimmer isn’t really an idiot? Whoever made that list didn’t do his homework in full.

>Didn?t someone on this site write a very good article about how Rimmer isn?t really an idiot?

Why, yes. Yes, someone did write that. I reckon Rimmer has a fair amount of potential–he comes from what appears to be a family of geniuses and he’s basically the same person as “Ace” Rimmer–but every last bit of it is locked away behind some fairly elaborate psychological blocks, including a more or less unshakable conviction that he is “the durniest of all Durnoids that ever dared to durn”. Functionally, I’d say it amounts to about the same thing as “idiot”, really, so I figure his place on that list is justifiable.

hummingbird
    Participant

I suppose it depends whether you class an idiot by intelligence or by his actions.
    A lot of that list are simply not very bright. Rimmer is not un-intelligent, he just acts that way due to, y’know, what Arlene said.

John Hoare
    Participant

I maintain that I’d much rather spend time with Rimmer than Lister.

But then, I’m the kind of person who would be interested in a slideshow of pictures from the diesel decks, or 20th century telegraph poles.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

So basically, you’re Rimmer. Glod only knows what that makes Tanya.

JamesTC
    Participant

All praise Glod! Our new leader!

peas_and_corn
    Participant

>I maintain that I?d much rather spend time with Rimmer than Lister.

I’d probably prefer to spend time with Lister. Live with him though… things would probably get strained, probably because I’m also a beer and curry obsessed slob.

Kris Carter
    Participant

I’d rather live with Kryten. I hate housework.

Gwynnie
    Participant

I pretty much do live with Lister. It involves a lot of cleaning up and patience ;)
    But I’ve also lived with some Rimmers in my time, and they are far more annoying.

I’m a Lister!

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I’m a Holly (Norman Lovett version!)

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’m Spartacus!

I’m Brian Blessed!

peas_and_corn
    Participant

I’m Drunk!

Bob Loblaw
    Participant

I’m smat!

…I mean smart!

hummingbird
    Participant

You’re a loony.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I know you’re not all here.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.