Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Should I buy an Xbox 360

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Tarka Dal
    Participant

Not that I have the money at the moment, but still the question remains.

I’m veering towards the idea given that Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 will not be out on PS2, and I’m intrigued not just by the UEFA Champions League license Konami have acquired but also by the new ‘New Star Soccer’ style career-mode.

My alternatives appear to be either a new PC or a PS3. As someone who hasn’t really been up to speed on Console wars since the days of Mega Drive v SNES (Oh who am I trying to kid… I admit it Speccy v Commodore) I’d appreciate all opinions. Is it worth buying an Xbox360 in the next few months?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

PS3s are a bag of shit and only really good as Blu-Ray players. I would say a 360 would be perfect for your footballing needs, plus they’re stupidly cheap these days.

In my opinion, a PC is almost always preferable but they come with cost/lack of party play problems.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Yarp. I do need want a new PC. In the short term though I’m thinking off going Xbox360, Netbook, Widescreen LCD Monitor/TV (and possible massive external hard drive too). Stage by stage obviously.

mick
    Participant

Get a 360 Elite, and get a late one.

Use it flat not vertical.

Remember that yes 360’s can be had cheap, but only the core/arcade versions which have no HDMI output, and both suffer RROD issues.

Just as the PS2 was a mediocre DVD player, the PS3 is a mediocre Blu-Ray player with the difference that the PS2 had some good exclusives.

At a time when many companies are fighting to break exclusivity deals with Sony, 360 is your friend.

Also bare in mind that post xmas price drops are heavily anticipated…

Save your money and find a park to play football in. Apparently it gets you laid.

ChrisM
    Participant

If anyone saw me playing football the only laying would be happen would be people rolling around on the grass laughing.

(I was they guy who nearly always got picked last for a team in the school games session. Games being like PE, but set outside, football, rugby, hockey, cross country etc.)

Andrew
    Participant

> Get a 360 Elite, and get a late one.

I did this.

> Use it flat not vertical.

I do this.

> I was they guy who nearly always got picked last for a team in the school games session.

This is likely the case for every single poster here…

Cross country! Noooo! I’ve tried to repress those memories! Thanks alot, now I remember an endless hour (well actually it wasn’t endless. I think it lasted about 60 minutes) of having being told to RUN RUN RUN by the fat PE teachers who were either standing still or lying in deckchairs, sipping ice cool marguerites. Although that last bit may have been a hallucination. I am a tubby bastard.

If you want my advice (and who doesn’t?) get a Wii and play Super Smash Brothers Brawl forever and ever and ever.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

Ahh, Super Smash Brothers Brawl- yet another game inspired by hallucinogens. It’s great :)

I’m basking in the warm glow of the truth in your previous post. Aaaaaah! :)

Paul Muller
    Participant

I had a dream last night that Microsoft brought out a limited edition ‘Retro’ X-box 360. It was about 2 foot across, had a big fat remote and a top loading cassette deck.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

So the round table verdict from the Kingdom of Geekoria is that I should get myself a 360 then? Could someone please provide me with a link to the specific model being discussed above?

You mean the imaginary one?

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Well I meant the one Mick mentioned rather than the dreamt one.

Andrew
    Participant

> Could someone please provide me with a link to the specific model being discussed above?

“Xbox Elite” too much to type into Google, is it? :-)

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hardware/x/xbox360elitesystem/default.htm

Tarka Dal
    Participant

I’m trying to reduce my carbon fingerprint… or possibly I misread Mick’s original post.

So what’s so special about this one?

Tarka Dal
    Participant

..and the reason I ask is because that link is blocked at my workplace.

James
    Participant

Xbox 360 Elite console: The console is equipped with an HDMI port, HDMI cable, a black wireless controller and black Xbox LIVE? headset. It also comes with three powerful core processors, 16:9 cinematic aspect ratio, anti-aliasing for smooth textures, full surround sound, and DVD playback with upscaling capabilities right outof the box.

Just better.

Andrew
    Participant

Much less risk of Red Ring of Death, too.

pfm
    Participant

> Xbox 360 Elite console: The console is equipped with an HDMI port, HDMI cable, a black wireless controller and black Xbox LIVE? headset. It also comes with three powerful core processors, 16:9 cinematic aspect ratio, anti-aliasing for smooth textures, full surround sound, and DVD playback with upscaling capabilities right outof the box.

So, it’s a PS3 but instead of Blu-ray you get a headset to shout abuse at 13-year-olds.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> So, it?s a PS3 but instead of Blu-ray you get a headset to shout abuse at 13-year-olds.

And approximately seven billion more games. And Live.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

And SWOS.

Which along with the new Pro-Evo is my main motivation.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.