Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum “Straight to Mobile!” Are there any words more thrilling to the human soul?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Finally, straight to DVD is no longer the bottom of the pile.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2008/06/20/evil%2Dcalls%2Dand%2Dimage%2Dspits/

Cripes.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

When Evil Calls was a huge success, though. It lead to the guys from Pure Grass selling their company for a hell of a lot of money and gaining a very mutually-beneficial relationship with the biggest independent production company in the UK. Straight-to-mobile isn’t a sign of bad quality, especially when the likes of Pure Grass are involved. What’s bad is mobile content that’s just lazy – such as adding crap animation to old sitcom clips. When things are made specifically for mobiles – from scratch and with a bit of money behind them – they can be extremely inventive in their storytelling and structure.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

“The BBC is no longer interested in the type of audience Red Dwarf attracts” is surely still the ultimate?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>gaining a very mutually-beneficial relationship with the biggest independent production company in the UK.

Gee, I wonder who that could be?

Andrew
    Participant

> What?s bad is mobile content that?s just lazy – such as adding crap animation to old sitcom clips.

Subtle.

But yes, no question – it’s not the format, it’s how you use it. ‘Direct to YouTube’ is already becoming a way for creative types to break out, kick-starting companies and careers.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Quite. I’d rather watch a bunch of Angry Video Game Nerd sketches than an episode of most sitcoms currently doing the rounds on TV.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> Quite. I?d rather watch a bunch of Angry Video Game Nerd sketches than an episode of most sitcoms currently doing the rounds on TV.

Aye, tis true.

Phil
    Participant

Part of the reason “straight to youtube” doesn’t have a stigma (at least, that I’m aware) is that it’s free…so there’s really no gamble on whether or not you enjoy it. Sure, there’s an investment of time, but since you didn’t have to pay to view it there’s nothing stopping you from navigating away after a minute or two. You also get a nice cross-section of that person’s other work, in case you happened to just stumble onto one of his/her weak videos. It’s mutually beneficial and the content isn’t necessarily business-driven. It’s harder to get upset about having viewed a lousy free video than it is to get upset for having subscribed to a lousy mobile service.

Andrew
    Participant

> It?s harder to get upset about having viewed a lousy free video than it is to get upset for having subscribed to a lousy mobile service.

Wasn’t WEC available individually, though? (As, for that matter, the Dwarf stuff is.) At that point, isn’t that the same as paying to see a movie at the cinema, or on legit download rental? And then, it’s all about the quality of the material – so long as what you make is decent (and ‘as advertised’), you’re fine. Which is what WEC seemed to manage.

Every medium has its stigmas – YouTube’s is “if any fucker can get on there, isn’t it 98% likely to be shit?” – and its plus points.

Phil
    Participant

>Wasn?t WEC available individually, though? (As, for that matter, the Dwarf stuff is.)

I haven’t seen either. My comment was intentionally general.

Dave
    Participant

>?if any fucker can get on there, isn?t it 98% likely to be shit??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb2KGNTdLSk

pfm
    Participant
    John Hoare
    Participant
    Ridley
    Participant

ChrisM
    Participant

>?if any fucker can get on there, isn?t it 98% likely to be shit??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb2KGNTdLSk

Bless!

I liked the bit at the end (I admit I fast forwarded to the end after watch a bit.) “Don’t say my video sucks or you are a whore!”

It’s back on the streets for me I fear…

Nah, it did have entertainment value, possibly not for the reasons intended. (Hope that doesn’t come across pompous. I’m not sure I’d have the guts to perform on a video that’s for sure.)

And the Southpark one, just wrong. I like Southpark though, perverted humor and all.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb2KGNTdLSk”

I got about 28 seconds in, threw my hands up in the air and shouted “DONE!”

Dave
    Participant

>I liked the bit at the end (I admit I fast forwarded to the end after watch a bit.) ?Don?t say my video sucks or you are a whore!?

No, I agree that’s the best she has to offer.

>I got about 28 seconds in, threw my hands up in the air and shouted ?DONE!?

I did nearly warn you

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.