The Radiation Leak

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The Radiation Leak

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Katydid 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

bloodteller

In Me2 and Skipper, we see the radiation leak that wiped out the crew. However, given it’s stated in The End they were killed by a lethal dose of cadmium, why does the leak always appear as a huge fireball/gust of wind? pretty sure cadmium poisoning would be a slow death over a period of time, given it basically just gives you a load of liver and breathing problems.

then again maybe that would be too gruesome for TV. but even so, what did they put in it that makes it all big fireball-ey?

bloodteller

the radiation leak in Skipper just looks like somebody farted and then lit a match

flanl3

Well, is Cadmium-II even real? If not, they can make up whatever properties they want for it. Also, the one in Skipper could hypothetically be a slightly different substance.

bloodteller

oh, i forgot they put the “II” on the end. i suppose that allows them to get away with it, since Cadmium II is not a real thing

Hamish

You don’t say.

Ben Saunders

There could have been a fireball which killed people close to the engines, then the radiation killed everyone else. The real answer is “because a fireball is visually more interesting than people slowly getting sick and falling over.”

Ben Saunders

Also would hologrammatic Rimmer even be bothered by radiation? At least a fireball is a bit hot, giving him a reason to get out of there ASAP

flanl3

Rimmer wasn’t a hologram in the fireball universe.

Ben Paddon

Yes he was.

GlenTokyo

Electronics are affected by radiation. Routers near set top boxes, microwave ovens interfering with the radio etc

Rimmer is electronic, his lightbee is also physically there, so assuming the radiation would mess with his projection, the heat would then destroy his light bee.

What I always wondered was how long it took Holly to repaint the ship after the massive fireball tore through it, and why, if he was getting the skutters to do that, he didn’t have them sweep up the remains.

bloodteller

In the novels it’s said the ship was left structurally undamaged by the radiation leak (somehow) so i guess no repainting or rebuilding was needed. everything was just left as-is

GlenTokyo

Dulux have certainly come on in the Red Dwarf universe. The paint in my bog doesn’t last 2 years, nevermind 3 million plus and a fireball.

flanl3

The Skutters repainted over the 3 million years. They were bored, and lucky to be hiding in their filing cabinet at the right time.

bloodteller

I completely forgot that the ship was painted, but they do a bit of painting the corridor in Me2 don’t they? I always thought the walls were just naturally grey because they were made of metal or something.

Ridley

JMC cutbacks mean the walls are just wood painted to look like metal.

Or look like wood painted to look like metal in high definition.

paulf

Should have called me!

Katydid

I assume the radiation mutated the wooden ship into a shape shifter. It would explain the way it looks totally different every 12 episodes.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.