Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The Spoilery Doctor Who Thread (The Next Doctor / Matt Smith casting)

Viewing 52 posts - 201 through 252 (of 252 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

*sniggers quietly*

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I CAN STILL HEAR YOU.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

As with the Davros boxset he was quite surprised when I told him Davros was set to return the week before ?The Stolen Earth? aired, he said he would remember to set the tape :)

I nominate this thread for hall of fame status.

hummingbird
    Participant

this amused me for, oh, at least three seconds
    http://io9.com/5122922/when-did-doctor-who-start-to-go-downhill

JamesTC
    Participant

Obviously the idiots who voted for Colin Baker are not familiar with 1. what was happening behind the scenes of Who which caused the scripts to be worse and 2. Big Finish Audio. If they heard ‘Medicinal Purposes’, ‘The One Doctor” Arrangements for War’, ‘Bloodtide’, ‘Jubilee’ or ‘The Apocolypse Element’ which are some of the best Who has to offer, people are usually following the crowd saying Colin Baker ruined Who, what the fuck did Colin Baker do, he had character development and mystery? I guess someone will come along and say his outfit was awful, it was meant to be. The only thing that was wrong in 1985 was the lack of money from bastards like Michael Grade who hated the show and would stop at nothing until its off the air, oh and Eric Saward was a bit, erm, overbearing.

RTD better bring back The Master and Davros for a big ol? gay-romp-gang-bang-finale!! Throw in a couple of Dalek?s too.

I was ready to say “Oh god, don’t give the fangirls any ideas” but there’s probably already ten different stories along those exact lines at ff.net.

?EJACULATE! EJACULATE!?

I think I read a fanfic once with those exact words in it. And I really wish I hadn’t been reminded of it just now.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I nominate io9 for “worse than Den of Geek” status.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Ok, if Lily Allen gets the assistant gig I’m going to start hitting people.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Keith Allen would be good, though, especially if they’re looking for somewhere to dispose of the old console room set.

pfm
    Participant

It would be good if the console room got totally destroyed leaving the Tardis stranded for a time. Then he rebuilds it with a different look.

ChrisM
    Participant

The suggestion in previous series is that the console room’s look is in fact like a desk top. Except 3 dimensional. And with, like, physical objects.

Therefore changing it could just be a matter (matter? HA!) of changing settings, and presto! I’m curious how that could work. Hardlight holograms maybe? Or advanced nanotechnology that rearranges things? Or maybe the various rooms already exist somewhere (extradimensionally) prebuilt, and changing the settings is just a matter of changing the coordinates connecting the outer shape with the inner tardis (hence allowing it to be bigger on the inside than the outside.)

Since the chameleon circuit could change the outer shape it makes sense that the inside might be changed the same way.

Dave
    Participant

>leaving the Tardis stranded for a time

Beached?

JamesTC
    Participant

I always thought it was that the TARDIS had several different console rooms through the ship which all have a gateway to the outside of the ship. Certainly the second wooden TARDIS room from season 16 was in a different part of the TARDIS since it starts with Tom and Lis finding the room.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

IN Matt Smith news, I’ve been watching the first four episodes of Party Animals tonight, alternating episodes with The Tenth Planet (last week it was alternating between old Krypton Factor and Smallville. I amuse myself in my own unique ways.) and it is very, very good…

And Matt Smith probably deserves an extra very on top of that. I’m starting to picture him as The Doctor, now, which is a relief, but it’s hard to say exactly how he’ll play it as he’s obviously a versatile chap and there are plenty of options. It’s probably due to watching TTP, but I’d still love it if he ended up acting very old and stuffy with flashes of youthful energy every now and then.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

After my marathon Tenth Planet/Matt Smith session, I’ve been thinking about how Tennant will regenerate. Mr. Julian Hazeldine (friend, NTS colleague) has made an excellent prediction that Ten’s last words will be “I’m that kind of man” or a variation there-of, which I think is superb. However, since we kind of know that we’ll have no fixed companion over the specials, I don’t think Ten will *ever* get over his ‘being alone’ kick and that, for the first time in the TV series (ignoring the movie and whatever the hell happened to McGann), he’s going to regenerate in the TARDIS, alone.

His last words can be adequately delivered via the TARDIS communicator (I have an image, actually, of his dying moments being addressed to the world via a massive hologram) after which he collapses and regenerates. Then, Matt Smith, Doctor Eleven, will look around, bemused by his situation and loneliness will look into camera and simply say “What?”.

Just a thought, like.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Oh god please don’t let him say “What?” That particular tic has become like The Doctor’s own version of Sam Beckett’s “Oh Boy!” and is one of the few things of Tennant’s Doctor that still grates a bit for me.

Andrew
    Participant

I like it – but it’s Tennant’s, RTD’s. New Doctor, new dialogue.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Well, I’m assuming RTD AND Moffat will be writing the first line, and it fits a post-regeneration/trying to work out who he is situation.

Still, I called the massive hologram addressing the world and him regenerating alone. Remember that ;)

Tarka Dal
    Participant

True, but surely Moffat can do a bit better for a first line.

Andrew
    Participant

Probably not the best way to stamp your new identity, saying what the last guy would have said. (Doctor AND author.)

Who does the ‘that kind of man’ line address? To work, I mean. Surely it’s requires someone to whom the reference is pertinent…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Harriet Jones. She’s not dead, y’know.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> Who does the ?that kind of man? line address? To work, I mean. Surely it?s requires someone to whom the reference is pertinent?

Re-watch The Christmas Invasion and see me after school.

Ridley
    Participant

I like it – but it?s Tennant?s, RTD?s. New Doctor, new dialogue.

What about Davison and Moffat’s “what?”?

Andrew
    Participant

> Re-watch The Christmas Invasion and see me after school.

Fair point, I guess – in that it’s a showboating, to audience kinda thing. Still, a back reference to that episode without some context to explain it…I dunno. Seems unlikely.

> What about Davison and Moffat?s ?what???

He’s writing that for Tennant’s Doctor during RTD’s tenure as part of RTD’s continuity though. It’s appropriate – and demanded, really – for a brought-in writer to match those rhythms. Davison’s is only there to match Tennant’s; if Tennant’s didn’t instigate it, Davison’s wouldn’t.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Probably not the best way to stamp your new identity, saying what the last guy would have said. (Doctor AND author.)

This is a good point. Maybe a “What?” to start with and then a second line to himself that comes more from Eleven.

> Who does the ?that kind of man? line address? To work, I mean. Surely it?s requires someone to whom the reference is pertinent?

I dunno, if he’s addressing the world and/or the people he’s spent the last few episodes with via the TARDIS they wouldn’t necessarily need to see it as a back reference if it fits into his little end-of-life speech.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> Still, a back reference to that episode without some context to explain it?I dunno. Seems unlikely.

That’s true. Although I could see it being a very gentle sentence to himself (well and us obviously). RTD could potential hinge the entire final story on what kind of Doctor Tennant was. I’d love to have seen a bit more nastyness to him. No second chances.

Andrew
    Participant

> This is a good point. Maybe a ?What?? to start with and then a second line to himself that comes more from Eleven.

I’m very keen on the way ‘Fantastic’ was removed for Ten.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

“Change, my dear! And not a moment too soon!”

ChrisM
    Participant

“WooooOOOOooooow. Dat’s better. Now I’s got me new nut on straight.
    Always feels like a bad trip when dat ‘appens, you get me, blood?
    Now, where’s dat Song bird. I’s got some heavy temporal paradoxical rumpy pumpin’ to catch up on! Bookasha!”

JamesTC
    Participant

?Change, my dear! And not a moment too soon!?

“What’s the use of a good quotation if you can’t change it?”

ChrisM
    Participant

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/188913/michelle_ryan_to_be_doctor_whos_assistant.html

She’s lovely, but I kinda hope she doesn’t get the role. Although some kind of role in new who would be welcome.

Of course it’s all speculation so far…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Well, she’s the only even slightly reasonable person on the early betting lists, so the rumours could just be stemming from that… I’d prefer an older companion, but I just love Ryan so much I wouldn’t at all mind if it was her.

si
    Participant

Well, the Sunday Mirror this week said she’d be taking over ‘from Freema Agyeman’, completely bypassing series four and Donna.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> completely bypassing series four and Donna.

A plan with no drawbacks.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

DT was described in the Metro today as “former Doctor Who David Tennant”. Sigh.

JamesTC
    Participant

DT was described in the Metro today as ?former Doctor Who David Tennant?. Sigh.

Bloody ‘ell, its the year 2010, I better rush out and get the Red Dwarf specials on DVD, I have been in a coma since january 2009!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

If only.

si
    Participant

Michelle Ryan IS going to be in Doctor Who – She’ll play Lady Christina de Souza in Planet of the Dead at Easter. Lee Evans will play a character called Malcolm…

Apparently, ‘Christina joins the Doctor on a bus-trip which takes a very unexpected detour into danger’.

JamesTC
    Participant

>Lee Evans will play a character called Malcolm?

Which means I will not be watching that on original broadcast, I will probably watch one of the new Red Dwarf specials several times while its on. When I do get around to watching it I will be doing something else at the same time so I can ignore Lee Evans while he is on screen.

si
    Participant

At least it’s not Ricky Gervais. I don’t know how I’d cope if *that* was onscreen.

JamesTC
    Participant

I don’t find Ricky Gervais funny but I would prefer him, he annoys me alot less than Lee Evans.

si
    Participant

I can’t even look at it.

pfm
    Participant

Gervais would just be a hypocrite if he appeared in Who. He took the piss out of guest starring in it in Extras.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

?Christina joins the Doctor on a bus-trip which takes a very unexpected detour into danger?.

JamesTC
    Participant

‘Delta and the Bannermen’ is not a story I am familiar with outside of it being in season 24, is being the next released Doc 7 DVD and having Ken Dodd in, what is it about?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

It’s the classic example of a McCoy story with a better idea/general theme than execution. See also : Happiness Patrol.

JamesTC
    Participant

I have seen ‘The Happiness Patrol’ and I think it is a little underrated, not a classic story but a fun one, a story with a big sweety monster has to be good though.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I love it. It’s only behind Remembrance and Fenric in the McCoy years for me. And I like it more than a good chunk of ’80s stories in general, to be honest.

JamesTC
    Participant

I’m a big Colin Baker fan so Season 22 and 23 are favouritesof mine as well as BFA of course.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

> Gervais would just be a hypocrite if he appeared in Who. He took the piss out of guest starring in it in Extras

David Tennant stars in Doctor Who and guest-starred in Extras. Is he a hypocrite?

Dave
    Participant

>David Tennant stars in Doctor Who and guest-starred in Extras. Is he a hypocrite?

No, he is a fool

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Ok, just as long as we’re all on the same page.

Viewing 52 posts - 201 through 252 (of 252 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.