Unanswered Questions

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Unanswered Questions

This topic contains 122 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  By Jove its holmes 1 month ago.

Viewing 123 posts - 1 through 123 (of 123 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Dave

Who took the picture of young-Rimmer’s dorm room that he uses to go back in time, in Timeslides? And how is adult-Rmmer in possession of it in the future?

The more I think about this the more it bothers me.

International Debris

If I had to head-canon it, I’d say it was just a snapshot of the dorm room that maybe he took, and he’s so petty that he happily had it developed and then sat watching the day go by in the photo until it was night time and he crept in.

What I want to know is if those photos are still around and still ‘work’. Mind you, Doug might read this and think ‘ah there’s a good idea for a XIII plot’, to which I’ll say NO DOUG STOP.

Ben Saunders

Does time pass like that in the photos? If you left the photo running for 100 years would 100 years pass?

Bargain Bin Holly

I always thought it was like a security camera in the dorm room and they were just able to find a snapshot of the footage. Well Rimmer is overly obsessive, he has both a collection on 20th century telegraph poles and vintage wires, so why wouldn’t he collect everything of his youth to compile in like a documentary about himself in the future or something.

Pete Part Three

Bobby Moore, I don’t bloody know.

Flap Jack

Rimmer has the photo in his possession because it’s the future and everyone just has thousands of photos encompassing their entire lives stored on their computers.

It doesn’t really make sense that a picture like that would be taken in the first place, so… let’s say young Rimmer really wanted a picture of himself with his “friends”, but he wasn’t confident enough to ask them for a proper photo, so he just set up his camera to take an automatic picture of them while they were sleeping near each other instead.

bloodteller

it’s a bit like that Peep Show episode where they get lost in the moors at midnight and there’s a wide shot of the two of them from a distance- the gimmick of the show is that every shot is a POV shot, so who is watching two blokes wandering around a moor late at night? sinister stuff, there

Warbodog

Why does Rimmer put on an accent for one word in Future Echoes when he tells Holly to record an “internal memo”? Is he mocking Lister’s accent (for some reason? Lister didn’t say “internal” in that scene though, unless it was cut)? Is it something else? This bothers me so bad, I can’t stand this amazing episode of series 1.

Warbodog

>who is watching two blokes wandering around a moor late at night?

I read somewhere that it was a cow’s POV. Can’t remember if it was a serious answer, joke answer or fan theory.

International Debris

I always assumed “internal memo” was him doing a scouse accent. Because he’s writing it to Lister and… I dunno.

clem

> I read somewhere that it was a cow’s POV. Can’t remember if it was a serious answer, joke answer or fan theory.

Maybe Juliet May directed that bit. It’s definitely mentioned on the DVD commentary and iirc they do say it’s a cow or an owl or something.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

I thought it was just Chris slightly stumbling over the line.

Ben Saunders

>I read somewhere that it was a cow’s POV. Can’t remember if it was a serious answer, joke answer or fan theory.
    It’s a cow’s POV, as stated in the director’s commentary. They REALLY wanted a wide shot of the moors, but couldn’t do it because of the POV rule, so pretended there was a cow there and used that. I’m not sure if they literally state it is a cow or if it’s just sort of an excuse for the shot.

Bargain Bin Holly

> I can’t stand this amazing episode of series 1.

I feel this is in reference to something…

Ben Saunders

I need to go listen to the line now, i never noticed he said anything funny….

Nevermind, I do remember that. But the way he delivers it makes it feel very deliberate. Why, though? Making fun of Lister/Craig? Just for fun? Who nose

Warbodog

He did a (bad) Lister impersonation a few lines earlier, so maybe Chris just relapsed.

“Interestingly,” the novel version extends the impersonation, specifies it’s a fake Scouse accent and has the memo line right after (moving the splits / blown up discussion later).

‘Oh, you’re not still going on about your impending death, are you? For heaven’s sake,’ Fake Scouse accent: ‘change der record. Flip der channel. Death isn’t der handicap it once was. For smeg’s sake, cheer up.’
    ‘You are, aren’t you? You’re loving it.’
    ‘Holly – I’d like to send an internal memo…’

I just had one of those moments where I ask myself what I’m doing with my life. I’ll hit ‘Submit’ anyway so the lesson isn’t wasted.

bloodteller

>It’s a cow’s POV, as stated in the director’s commentary. They REALLY wanted a wide shot of the moors, but couldn’t do it because of the POV rule, so pretended there was a cow there and used that. I’m not sure if they literally state it is a cow or if it’s just sort of an excuse for the shot.

aw, that’s not nearly as interesting as some person inexplicably watching the two of them. though it being a cow does make more sense, i suppose

International Debris

That’s so exceptionally close to them having their cake and eating it that it lowers my opinion of them a tiny bit.

Dave

Given that the last shot of the entire series is from the POV of an inanimate object, they can pretty much get away with whatever they want, I think.

bloodteller

there was a scene in season 1 that wasn’t from the POV of anyone, to be fair. when jeremy remembers “the bad thing” and its him getting his cock sucked by super hans

International Debris

That’s an interior POV, surely? Visual memory.

flanl3

Well it’s all from the POV of the camera, isn’t it?

Ben Saunders

The camera doesn’t exist within the Peep Show universe, it is merely the medium thru which we can peer in

Plastic Percy

They break the POV a number of times, often it’s just from Sophie or Super Hans’ point of view though. There’s even a shot of Jeremy and Mark scarpering away from the play centre in the second to last episode that is the two of them running across the carpark.

Pete Part Three

But that’s from a car, so it’s obviously the POV of someone watching them. The issue is when there’s no one who could possibly be there.

Dave

It’s god’s POV.

Dave

Why does Ace travel 3,000,000 years into the future when he dimension-jumps?

Who is the regular-universe counterpart for ‘padre’?

clem

Not sure what you’re driving at with your second question. It’s the Cat, isn’t it? I mean I know it doesn’t really make sense but neither does Mellie or Bongo.

Wasn’t the padre going to be a different character originally? A cleaner? Or am I thinking of the cleaner in the Tongue Tied video.

Ben Saunders

Life on Earth in that universe developed 3,000,000 years later, or something

International Debris

Is it in the Backwards novel where it’s suggested that Ace turns up in the same time zone as his alter-ego in that universe, regardless of when it is? It’s somewhere, I’m sure.

I really feel that GNP need to create a Red Dwarf equivalent of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Eqew1mXO30

Dave

Not sure what you’re driving at with your second question. It’s the Cat, isn’t it? I mean I know it doesn’t really make sense but neither does Mellie or Bongo.

Yes, I could have picked either of those too.

I was just watching the Series IV documentary last night and realised that an equivalent of Cat who isn’t a cat doesn’t really make sense, not that it matters really.

Dave

And yes, they talk about originally making alt-Cat a cleaner (as a contrast to the regular-universe version) but then not wanting to lean on negative stereotypes for a non-white character.

quinn_drummer

but then not wanting to lean on negative stereotypes

Something they seem completely happy with in recent years

Dave

I did wince a little bit rewatching that documentary and seeing Craig and Danny lauding the fact that Red Dwarf is set in a future where racism isn’t ever even mentioned because it isn’t relevant any more, and how progressive that was for the show.

Spare Hand One

I really feel that GNP need to create a Red Dwarf equivalent of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Eqew1mXO30

Nice! There are, of course, the “frequently asked questions” bits of the Smeg-Ups videos with Kryten talking to us through the Black Box.

International Debris

Cat in the mirror universe is equally nonsensical. Something like Mr. Rat would have worked a lot better there. Other than the fact that he’s funny and the mirror universe stuff isn’t.

Plastic Percy

The totally shit Talkie Toaster interviews on the official website covers the matter in its interview with Admiral Bongo.

“Father Cat? Now there’s a remarkable guy. Passes for human incredibly well, doesn’t he? I mean, you occasionally find him scratching at his dog-collar with his foot, but generally speaking he’s indistinguishable from the rest of the guys. The Padré was part of an experiment the boffins had been working on, something to do with hyper-evolution. I don’t know the science stuff – I’m the guy who wrote to the TV networks asking them to ban documentaries during prime time – but they were working on Darwinian logics and came up with a theory that, over time and given the correct surrounds, almost any life-form will evolve into humanoid form. They eventually moved to full animal testing and Lister volunteered a cat he’d rescued on Titan. They shoved the moggy into an accelerated-time environment – kinda the opposite of a stasis booth – and the Padré was the first successful result. His religion’s a little quirky – it’s not really Christianity, but has something to do with, I don’t know, some promised holy land and an ancient star map. Crazy stuff, but he’s a top guy, great for morale – except when he sheds on the furniture.”

“Mellie is a Model 101-type android. Tenth generation, AI. Quite brilliant. And she’s programmed to be the ideal secretary. Never misses a call, never forgets a message, and only flirts within certain operational parameters. I’ve got her set at low-level – just enough that I don’t feel guilty. But you can crank her up to full-blown ‘affair that the wife will never discover’ if you choose. It’s up to the user. She attends the company fundraisers and so on, and I can’t have her making embarrassing innuendoes in front of the brass.”

Dave

I quite like the fact that someone has at least tried to explain it.

Pete Part Three

I assume there’s an explanation as to why Bongo looks so much like Jim Reaper too. And a detailed dissection of a frog thrown in for good measure.

Dave

I wonder what was in Camille’s bag that Kryten asked Lister to take on board Hector’s ship at the end of the episode. It’s not like she brought anything with her onto Red Dwarf. Maybe she just nicked a few towels or something.

Plastic Percy

She nicked the last of the strawberries.

Ridley

Giant tissue.

Pete Part Three

Kryten’s heart.

si

Kryten’s heart.

The old, old story.

clem

Couple of Kryten’s spare heads and Spare Hand One.

clem

Obviously not Spare Hand One as he’s in the very next episode. How many spare body parts is Kryten meant to have anyway? There’s the spares in DNA, the heads that get blown up in Beyond a Joke. Is he like Trigger’s broom by now?

performingmonkey

I always though ‘You killed the crew, Kryten!’ should have had an in-episode explanation, for those who didn’t read Infinity Welcomes… cause it seems completely insane, out of nowhere, the idea of Kryten ‘killing’ the Nova 5 crew. (he splashes soapy water onto a console, right? So hardly anything deliberate)

Pete Part Three

That may have been Doug mixing up the novel and the show and not bothering to check, rather than a deliberate IV-style retcon.

Ben Saunders

Kryten killing the crew always sounded like an accident to me, either way

Hamish

LISTER: You killed the crew, Kryten! No wonder you ended up on your own! All right, it was an accident, but nevertheless…

Plastic Percy

I figured it’s the same reason as to why Rimmer identifies himself as First Technician in Trojan. Although Doug had previously incorrectly identified novel Rimmer as Second Technician in Last Human.

quinn_drummer

On that “you killed the crew point” – Kryten goes on to say something along the lines of “and it was the same on the SS Augustus” … so presumably Kryten was assigned to a ship for long enough for the entire crew to die of old age, but still be close enough to Earth to be picked up by someone and re-assigned to the Nova 5, where he inadvertently kills them billions of light years from home after he washed the inside of the computer.

quinn_drummer

Why, if there are cinemas on Red Dwarf, and monitors in all of the living spaces, is Lister watching a film in the drive room in Confidence and Paranoia?

Ben Saunders

I’m only going by the show, but the first crew death doesn’t need to be of old age, although that would be pretty funny, Kryten being assigned to two ships in a row where all of the crew age to death and he doesn’t understand. It would be utterly tragic if he had any concept of death before Rimmer points it out to him

Ben Saunders

well actually the language Lister uses would make it very strange for both deaths not to have happened in similar fashions, but hey ho.

Spare Hand One

Why, if there are cinemas on Red Dwarf, and monitors in all of the living spaces, is Lister watching a film in the drive room in Confidence and Paranoia?

I always kinda liked that. It’s a silent and short-hand way of saying that, for better or worse, he has the run of the ship now. Once formal or professional spaces are now stripped of their meaning.

Ben Saunders

He’s lazy, I couldn’t be arsed going all the way to the cinema every time I wanted to watch something. Plus the drive room is cosy

Dave

There’s that food machine in the Drive Room (well sometimes, anyway), so if he’s eating and drinking then maybe that’s more convenient.

Ben Saunders

Given that the Drive Room appears to be modular, it seems like a pretty good place for that kind of stuff

Pete Part Three

He’s watching Netflix.

By Jove its holmes

With the Red Dwarf cinemas, I presume that when the crew was around that a crewmember had to put money/tokens in a machine before a film would be shown. So the Four would have to ask Holly to override the systems in order for a film to be shown for free?

Dave

I presume it was free and on demand like everything else.

quinn_drummer

I presume it was free and on demand like everything else.

Which is only the case right up until Officer Rimmer, when suddenly the crew have “tv packages”.

If we roll that back and assume it’s always been the case, then it would make sense that Holly overrode everything for Lister post accident.

In fact, in Queeg it’s shown that the dispensing machines need credits to use and Holly is responsible for overriding that.

If everything was free and on-demand, what would be the point of a cinema at all? Other than the cinema experience I guess.

Dave

Yeah, I was going to mention Queeg – my meaning was that post-accident Holly had made everything free for them, and Queeg makes that pretty clear. Presumably pre-accident it would cost a certain number of credits or dollarpounds.

International Debris

Mind you, Lister gets a chicken soup without credits or any kind of technician token at the start of The End.

quinn_drummer

It’s Rimmer that orders it right just after he fixes the machine. Presumably techs get to use the machines for testing as much as is reasonable whilst they’re on duty.

Dave

I think there’s a Big Finish spinoff in this.

quinn_drummer

Todhunter uncovers an underground black market meal racket, involving technicians ordering food from vending machines whilst on duty, on their duty test system, and re-selling at lower credit prices than the machines usually dispense them for. Hilarity ensues.

Dave

“THE VEND”

By Jove its holmes

In MeSquared, there’s an actual sit-down cinema room, and in another episode Kryten indicates to the Cat that that the RD cinema system shows cartoons (Warner Bros.? MGM?) before the movie.

Ben Saunders

What are they watching on in Holoship? From memory it looks like they’re all just sitting on some boxes or plastic chairs or something in front of a little TV

quinn_drummer

It’s a little portable TV isn’t it? Like the one they have in the bunk from 3 onwards … because the screen is in totally the wrong place to be useful in the quarters, though good for getting Holly in shot on camera.

International Debris

Yeah, portable TV on Starbug.

I love the shitty, lo-tech vibe of the BBC era. Get rid of that widescreen shite on the bunkroom walls and bring back this stuff.

quinn_drummer

Same. I like the modern era sets, but the hi-fi tech stuff is too much. The new medi/science room is so flashy

Give me grimmy, run down ship with big mechanical keyboards and old CRT monitors

Make it look like it has been thrown together out of parts for industrial use

Ben Saunders

No, don’t

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Nah, both the original and the new sets are just adhering to the technological trends of when they were made. Maybe in 30 years time the Dave era will look just as quaint for still using flatscreens instead of whatever we’ve got then.

Ridley

Cataracts.

si

Those last two posts present a perfect G&T conversation.

Pete Part Three

What do you guys think of Series VIII?

Ben Saunders

What’s an iguana?

Hamish

Who’s eating this chicken?

International Debris

Why is Lister constantly trying to fuck his mum in VII and VIII?

Ben Saunders

Incest is fine in the future, partly because medical advancements have removed the possibility of birth defects, and partly because there is (VIII notwithstanding) literally no one else

By Jove its holmes

Are we sure that the Kanitawowi are not relatives of the Ewoks? they are just as annoying…

Plastic Percy

I do rather like the VIII sets. They seem to mesh the Ocean Grey and the white plastic of previous years.

International Debris

Incest is fine in the future, partly because medical advancements have removed the possibility of birth defects, and partly because there is (VIII notwithstanding) literally no one else

You’re saying that, if trapped in the future, with your mum as the only company, you’d lust after her? Is that what you’re saying Ben you filthy mite?

Ben Saunders

I wouldn’t, no, but I’m not Lister. And I didn’t have a short relationship with my mum and then pine after her unrequitedly for years and years before ever finding out she was my mum in some fucked up sci-fi time shenanigans, either.

International Debris

Can you prove it?

Plastic Percy

In White Hole, why did they send Rimmer – who can’t touch anything – to gather supplies with Kryten? Cat or Lister should have gone, as then they’d be able to bring back twice as many supplies as they do.

quinn_drummer

I suspect they sent Kryten, but Rimmer went to oversee he did a good job like the sort of petty middle manager that he is.

Dave

Presumably they needed to concentrate all the key life-support functions for Lister and Cat in a relatively small location. They probably didn’t have enough emergency power to heat the ship throughout the route they would have had to travel on foot to get supplies.

By Jove its holmes

What does middle manager mean?

International Debris

Cat and Lister probably sent Rimmer because they didn’t want to be stuck in a room with him for longer than absolutely necessary.

Bezzy

What is Listers goal these days? His plan was to return to Earth but is it still his goal?
    Or is Lister on the hunt for Kochanski these days? It’s not really specified anywhere.

Bezzy

What happened to Snacky?

Dave

Dead

Ben Saunders

Red Dwarf is so big and Snacky is so slow that he could be roaming the ship desperately trying to find somebody for years

Pete Part Three

How do you ride a horse?

si

Carefully.

By Jove its holmes

Hey! Let’s hit it and see what happens!

Dave

Sir Danzig?

clem

Rather less well than another horse would.

RealBigOleDummy

Why is Red Dwarf painted red everywhere but where the name is? I mean…….. a red spaceship is all fine and dandy but why have a huge splotch of white just so you can paint the name in red. A totally red ship with a white name would still be a red spaceship after all.

Darrell

A wizard did it.

International Debris

It’s so the name is red. We’d be asking “why is the word red in white?” if it was the other way around.

Plastic Percy

Wasn’t it so that Rob and Doug never actually intendend for the ship to be painted red.

Ben Saunders

It looks better, tbh

tombow

In Timeslides I thought they should get a photo of Earth from space, project it large in the hangar and fly Starbug through it

quinn_drummer

If always took “the frame” of the photo to mean you couldn’t move around in depth either. If it can’t been seen in the photo you can’t go there. So you might be able to go into orbit around Earth, but not land because none of the surface is in clear focus.

Lily

But Rimmer walks around inside Lister’s mansion. The whole building is in the frame so it must allow for depth.

On a separate note, after just re-watching that scene with Ruby Wax, I’ve literally only just got the joke about ‘never short of an ashtray in his house’. Singles were on cassettes in my day, I’d forgotten about vinyl.

quinn_drummer

I would also presume that they have a photo of inside the mansion that is used in that documentry of him. Rimmer doesn’t appear outside fo the mansion and walk in, he appears inside it, which is at odds with how that works.

I always thought of the ashtray joke as being about CDs, and how they’d all be used to stub cigs out on

Dave

I would also presume that they have a photo of inside the mansion that is used in that documentry of him. Rimmer doesn’t appear outside fo the mansion and walk in, he appears inside it, which is at odds with how that works.

Then you would think there would be someone inside the room taking the photo at the moment when he arrives.

Same with Holden later.

tombow

I like the theory that they can wait for time to pass. Like day to night. I wish they could at least get one of a liverpool pub for him to live in or something? Heck even the Cavern during the Beatles days!

quinn_drummer

Then you would think there would be someone inside the room taking the photo at the moment when he arrives.

Same with Holden later.

MIND. BLOWN.

Lily

The whole ‘can’t move out the frame’ thing is ignored almost as soon as it’s raised. Even the pub they go to, they walk around in when the original is a close up on the band.

As for the ashtrays, CDs were only just becoming a new thing. Rob & Doug are old, they were remembering these

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

I like the theory that they can wait for time to pass. Like day to night.

It’s just occurred to me that given the photos start moving as soon as they’re *developed*, that’s the point at which time starts progressing within them. It could be projected as a slide some time after it’s developed, and that would for things like the photographer no longer being present. It could also answer the somewhat disturbing question as to why someone was taking photos inside a boys’ dorm while they slept – it could be a photo taken during the daytime, and Rimmer just waits a few hours between developing and projecting the slide.

Dave

It’s just occurred to me that given the photos start moving as soon as they’re *developed*, that’s the point at which time starts progressing within them. It could be projected as a slide some time after it’s developed, and that would for things like the photographer no longer being present.

But then in the wedding photo they were still standing waiting for the photo to be taken. (After it was taken.)

Maybe best not to overthink it.

Pete Part Three

The photographer is surely standing there to take the “next” photo?

The stuff with “mutating developing fluid” is all well and good (overlooking the question of whether developing fluid would still be used) , but are they implying that they boys have negatives of the Nuremberg rally?

And what’s the deal with “Lifestyles of the Disgustingly Rich and Famous”? It’s a ‘picture reference’ – what does that mean? Does Holly take a *partial* screenshot of the mansion (because Blaize is standing in the bloody way) and develop that? If so, there are no zero limitations with this. Develop a photo of the Milky Way, snatched from a documentary, if there’s only 2D restrictions.

THIS EPISODE IS TOTAL BOLLOCKS FROM START TO FINISH.

si

are they implying that they boys have negatives of the Nuremberg rally?

And how did Lister get so far into the photo and up there?

quinn_drummer

If you photoshop yourself into the negative of a photograph, and then develop it, does a second you get to live out its own life in the photo world?

tombow

here’s another head canon, you can’t really touch or eat anything in time-slides. You can lift up a mug, or someone can grab you, but it feels ghostly and nothing has taste. Hence Lister wasn’t really hurt in the wedding photo and they didn’t bother to pop in some p*rn.

By Jove its holmes

The Boys’ plan to use pictures of Page Three Girls in lingerie must have hit a snag…

By Jove its holmes

terraforming is the answer to everything :-)

I trust terraforming also includes stabilising the massive gravitational forces pulling Io in all directions…

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 123 posts - 1 through 123 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.