Unanswered Questions

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Unanswered Questions

This topic contains 25 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Dave 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Dave

Who took the picture of young-Rimmer’s dorm room that he uses to go back in time, in Timeslides? And how is adult-Rmmer in possession of it in the future?

The more I think about this the more it bothers me.

International Debris

If I had to head-canon it, I’d say it was just a snapshot of the dorm room that maybe he took, and he’s so petty that he happily had it developed and then sat watching the day go by in the photo until it was night time and he crept in.

What I want to know is if those photos are still around and still ‘work’. Mind you, Doug might read this and think ‘ah there’s a good idea for a XIII plot’, to which I’ll say NO DOUG STOP.

Ben Saunders

Does time pass like that in the photos? If you left the photo running for 100 years would 100 years pass?

Bargain Bin Holly

I always thought it was like a security camera in the dorm room and they were just able to find a snapshot of the footage. Well Rimmer is overly obsessive, he has both a collection on 20th century telegraph poles and vintage wires, so why wouldn’t he collect everything of his youth to compile in like a documentary about himself in the future or something.

Pete Part Three

Bobby Moore, I don’t bloody know.

Flap Jack

Rimmer has the photo in his possession because it’s the future and everyone just has thousands of photos encompassing their entire lives stored on their computers.

It doesn’t really make sense that a picture like that would be taken in the first place, so… let’s say young Rimmer really wanted a picture of himself with his “friends”, but he wasn’t confident enough to ask them for a proper photo, so he just set up his camera to take an automatic picture of them while they were sleeping near each other instead.

bloodteller

it’s a bit like that Peep Show episode where they get lost in the moors at midnight and there’s a wide shot of the two of them from a distance- the gimmick of the show is that every shot is a POV shot, so who is watching two blokes wandering around a moor late at night? sinister stuff, there

Warbofrog

Why does Rimmer put on an accent for one word in Future Echoes when he tells Holly to record an “internal memo”? Is he mocking Lister’s accent (for some reason? Lister didn’t say “internal” in that scene though, unless it was cut)? Is it something else? This bothers me so bad, I can’t stand this amazing episode of series 1.

Warbofrog

>who is watching two blokes wandering around a moor late at night?

I read somewhere that it was a cow’s POV. Can’t remember if it was a serious answer, joke answer or fan theory.

International Debris

I always assumed “internal memo” was him doing a scouse accent. Because he’s writing it to Lister and… I dunno.

clem

> I read somewhere that it was a cow’s POV. Can’t remember if it was a serious answer, joke answer or fan theory.

Maybe Juliet May directed that bit. It’s definitely mentioned on the DVD commentary and iirc they do say it’s a cow or an owl or something.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

I thought it was just Chris slightly stumbling over the line.

Ben Saunders

>I read somewhere that it was a cow’s POV. Can’t remember if it was a serious answer, joke answer or fan theory.
    It’s a cow’s POV, as stated in the director’s commentary. They REALLY wanted a wide shot of the moors, but couldn’t do it because of the POV rule, so pretended there was a cow there and used that. I’m not sure if they literally state it is a cow or if it’s just sort of an excuse for the shot.

Bargain Bin Holly

> I can’t stand this amazing episode of series 1.

I feel this is in reference to something…

Ben Saunders

I need to go listen to the line now, i never noticed he said anything funny….

Nevermind, I do remember that. But the way he delivers it makes it feel very deliberate. Why, though? Making fun of Lister/Craig? Just for fun? Who nose

Warbofrog

He did a (bad) Lister impersonation a few lines earlier, so maybe Chris just relapsed.

“Interestingly,” the novel version extends the impersonation, specifies it’s a fake Scouse accent and has the memo line right after (moving the splits / blown up discussion later).

‘Oh, you’re not still going on about your impending death, are you? For heaven’s sake,’ Fake Scouse accent: ‘change der record. Flip der channel. Death isn’t der handicap it once was. For smeg’s sake, cheer up.’
    ‘You are, aren’t you? You’re loving it.’
    ‘Holly – I’d like to send an internal memo…’

I just had one of those moments where I ask myself what I’m doing with my life. I’ll hit ‘Submit’ anyway so the lesson isn’t wasted.

bloodteller

>It’s a cow’s POV, as stated in the director’s commentary. They REALLY wanted a wide shot of the moors, but couldn’t do it because of the POV rule, so pretended there was a cow there and used that. I’m not sure if they literally state it is a cow or if it’s just sort of an excuse for the shot.

aw, that’s not nearly as interesting as some person inexplicably watching the two of them. though it being a cow does make more sense, i suppose

International Debris

That’s so exceptionally close to them having their cake and eating it that it lowers my opinion of them a tiny bit.

Dave

Given that the last shot of the entire series is from the POV of an inanimate object, they can pretty much get away with whatever they want, I think.

bloodteller

there was a scene in season 1 that wasn’t from the POV of anyone, to be fair. when jeremy remembers “the bad thing” and its him getting his cock sucked by super hans

International Debris

That’s an interior POV, surely? Visual memory.

flanl3

Well it’s all from the POV of the camera, isn’t it?

Ben Saunders

The camera doesn’t exist within the Peep Show universe, it is merely the medium thru which we can peer in

Plastic Percy

They break the POV a number of times, often it’s just from Sophie or Super Hans’ point of view though. There’s even a shot of Jeremy and Mark scarpering away from the play centre in the second to last episode that is the two of them running across the carpark.

Pete Part Three

But that’s from a car, so it’s obviously the POV of someone watching them. The issue is when there’s no one who could possibly be there.

Dave

It’s god’s POV.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.