Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum "we might as well do a scene-by-scene ‘hold on this doesn’t make sense’ thread."

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    flanl3
    Participant

Might as well indeed.
    Don’t think there’s anything on the opening credits for The End, but for the 14B vs 14F scene, why would a company make two identical parts which seem not different in design or function? Also, if Rimmer put in the wrong part, why did the machine still work?

Jonsmad
    Participant

You missed a bit. Paint doesn’t dry in space the same way it does on a studio wall in a tv studio. It would float off or quickly dry like boiling because space is a vacuum, and also in space you wouldnt be able to hear the theme tune. Oh my god all of Dwarf isnt real. Arggggggggggggghhhhhhh.

flanl3
    Participant

Alright, so nothing much I noticed in the funeral scene (other from, how come there’s a slot in the drive room (perhaps the most important room) table SPECIFICALLY FOR sending off ash capsules out into space). But if Lister’s not buying socks or soap or deodorant specifically to save money, does the fact that he still hasn’t via the on-ship system this many years in still mean that he doesn’t think he has enough pay to purchase the farm/shop, if he even does plan on it still?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

oh dear, what have I started?

Might as well add ‘why is Lister sitting down when there’s no gravity in space?’ to the opening credits

cwickham
    Participant

Don’t think there’s anything on the opening credits for The End, but for the 14B vs 14F scene, why would a company make two identical parts which seem not different in design or function? Also, if Rimmer put in the wrong part, why did the machine still work?

Maybe all of Rimmer’s bureaucracy and insistence on sticking to detail is ultimately pointless, as the 14B and 14F are totally interchangeable? Alternatively: There’s no guarantee it *kept* working with the wrong part still in. If you overclock your computer, it’ll work fine… for a while. Or maybe Rimmer was just wrong and it wasn’t actually working fine.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I can’t quite believe I’m engaging in this nonsense, but the 14B/F isn’t a part that Rimmer’s inserting into the machine. It’s like a little pipe-cleaner, and he uses it to unclog the chicken soup nozzle. You can see it still in his hand when he takes it away and orders the soup. The 14B and the 14F are clearly different sizes of the same basic implement, like screwdriver heads or drill bits.

Dave
    Participant

Maybe the machine was working fine all along, and Rimmer and Lister were just being given pointless busywork to keep them occupied.

The gravity field created inside the ship radiates outside the hull for a few meters and that’s why Lister needed a seat for painting the hull.

Either that they didn’t have a regulation zero gravity winch and just retrofitted a cargo picker sit-me-down for extravehicular activity with magnets on the seat and in the arse of the spacesuit.

I’m glad to see the inconsistencies project is unofficially back up and running.

flanl3
    Participant

Either that they didn’t have a regulation zero gravity winch and just retrofitted a cargo picker sit-me-down for extravehicular activity with magnets on the seat and in the arse of the spacesuit.

This would have to be the one, as the Confidence & Paranoia spacewalk (shh, we’re not even through one episode yet, pretend I never mentioned the fifth) wouldn’t have been so bouncy if the gravity field radiated outward.

flanl3
    Participant

Actually, does the small rouge one actually have a generated gravity field, or just a device for amplifying its current gravity, or even better some antimatter collects at the center to give it tons of extra weight? It would explain why ‘up’ seems to have been longways, sideways, and outward at different times.

Jonsmad
    Participant

The gravity field on red dwarf broke in the 3 million years of deep space travel
    Before lister was taken out of stasis, and it now works intermittently and bizarrely
    Around the ship. Lister doesn’t know cus all his boots and clothes are sticky with curry stains
    That he sticks to most of the ship. Hologramme rimmer has been projected at the right height for the floor, kryten has gravity compensators, and the cat uses the situation to drop unexpectedly from the ceiling and be very light on his feet. Since the end of series 8 the situation has improved as the captain is wandering the cargo decks looking for food and his vast mass is shifting the field
    Around generating the centrifugal force of a small moon.

Jonsmad
    Participant

The pipe cleaners are just pipe cleaners. But Rimmer has invented a naming system for them and cut them into lengths and written a guide book in order to impress his superiors and also so he can make his job look more technical to all the technicians under him. Then he has forgotten his own system as he designed it slightly confusingly so that Lister couldn’t master it.

Dollar Pound
    Participant

the pipe cleaners are there just to scare off polymorphs

Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

In Series 3, how was the Polymorph able to attach its sucker to Rimmer’s head, when he is a hologram and had no physical form?

Dave
    Participant

Obviously, the Polymorph turned into a hologrammatic Polymorph.

Just like the hologrammatic radio that Rimmer operates in Marooned.

flanl3
    Participant

And the hologrammatic pile of random crap Rimmer crashes into in The End: Remastered.
    But wait! This is scene-by-scene! What are you doing in Series III when we haven’t even gotten to Lister entering stasis?

Dave
    Participant

We might as well do a thread-by-thread this-doesn’t-make-sense thread.

Moonlight
    Participant

Might as well add ‘why is Lister sitting down when there’s no gravity in space?’ to the opening credits

And the hologrammatic pile of random crap Rimmer crashes into in The End: Remastered.

If we’re going to include Remastered we’ll be here until we die of old age. We could reasonably assume the spacesuit boots are magnetic in the original, like how they walked in the Discovery podbay in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.