Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum We’d better do a LOST thread, then…

Viewing 81 posts - 1 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I haven’t seen it yet, but I’ll lay out the spoiler policy for this thread – if it’s been broadcast, talk about it to your heart’s content. If you don’t want spoilering, don’t read this thread. And it’d be nice if people could be polite and not go giving things away elsewhere on the site.

Go!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

And by ‘been broadcast’, we mean in America, rather than on Sky.

I’ve got myself a nice little torrent burrowing away at home…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> if it?s been broadcast, talk about it to your heart?s content

Broadcast in America? I think if that’s the case we should stop any chatter about the latest episode until the Wednesday night, just to give everyone a chance get it watched.

Although, having said that, Sky is only a few days behind so that would non-torrenters are a bit fucked. Quandary.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I?ve got myself a nice little torrent burrowing away at home?

So far my quest for a HD version is proving fruitless. God, I miss Mininova.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

You guys aren’t prepared to wait 72 hours? Sheesh.

That said, Friday night is an awful time for Sky to show Lost. It needs to be on Sunday, after 24. That’s the law.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> You guys aren?t prepared to wait 72 hours? Sheesh.

No.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

We’re waiting 72 hours for the HD version. It’s just we’ve got to watch a rubbish SD version in the meantime.

steven87gill
    Participant

I’m looking forward to see how they resolve the cliffhanger, so far time travel in the show has broadly been ‘whatever you do in the past has aready been done before you went back in time in the first place’.

hummingbird
    Participant

Noooo, no spoilers until after Friday! I can’t watch until then coz my machine is in Silicon Hospital :-(

Kris Carter
    Participant

Oh my god! I can’t believe they were on Barry Island all along!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Noooo, no spoilers until after Friday! I can?t watch until then coz my machine is in Silicon Hospital :-(

Keep out of the thread until then, then! Simple!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>You guys aren?t prepared to wait 72 hours? Sheesh.

No Sky, sir. No sleeves!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Ah, furry muff.

Blisschick
    Participant

Aw, darn, and I was prepared to start the latest debates about the stuff revealed and dive into speculation, but I won’t spoil it for you guys. Let’s just say something was finally answered, but as usual, it just lead to more questions.

And I still want to smack Jack and tell him to quit being such a crybaby.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

> Let?s just say something was finally answered

Was it the question “What will happen in the first episode?”

I’d get a torrent going, but it would take it till Sunday to get the full episode…quicker to watch on the friday.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I’m ten minutes into the episode now, and there’s a Father Ted quotation I want to do so, so, so very badly. But I won’t. Yet.

Blisschick
    Participant

>Was it the question ?What will happen in the first episode??

Ha! No, I haven’t gotten that one in awhile. Anyone who has express interest in the show this late in the game has been pointed to the DVD’s and told not to ask me anything. It’s too complicated to explain. Really really.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

It’s now Wednesday night, so I’m declaring this thread OPEN FOR SPOILERS. Those of who you are hanging around not having watched it, it’s YOUR OWN LOOKOUT from now on.

Although I don’t have much to say about it yet, save that I’m pleased it’s going down the “split timelines” route. Clearly it’s going to turn out that everyone’s lives would have been completely shitty if they hadn’t crashed anyway. I found it amusing the way they were covering certain actors (namely that annoying wossface blonde girl from season one) not coming back by having slight differences in the timeline (I bet that’s NEVER explained). Generally, though, it was hardly the most exhilhirating/exciting episode ever. I spent most of it trying to remember exactly where everyone had been left at the end of season five (which, let’s face it, was a LONG time ago now) anyway. And how many bloody death scenes can one character (Juliet) GET?

Also: “DON’T TELL ME I’M STILL ON THAT FECKIN’ ISLAND!”

Blisschick
    Participant

>I found it amusing the way they were covering certain actors (namely that annoying wossface blonde girl from season one) not coming back

Shannon. Ugh. Good riddance. I also noticed that Anna-Lucia and Libby weren’t shown, either, but Frogurt had an appearance, thankfully with no dialog. Why did they feel the need to include him? Bring on the flaming arrows.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

See, I get why the stuff referencing right back to the first ep/season was great for long-term fans, but… I’m not one. As far as I’m concerned, Lost is all about Ben and Desmond and Daniel. And Richard.

Blisschick
    Participant

And John.

Dave
    Participant

>Also: ?DON?T TELL ME I?M STILL ON THAT FECKIN? ISLAND!?

A YouTube video waiting to happen

pfm
    Participant

> I found it amusing the way they were covering certain actors (namely that annoying wossface blonde girl from season one) not coming back by having slight differences in the timeline (I bet that?s NEVER explained).

What’s interesting about that particular difference is that surely the bomb going off had no impact on Shannon’s decision to stay in Australia? Unless…maybe in this timeline her dad never died in that car crash. Something like that. It probably will never be explained. They could easily have said she was in the bathroom. I’m sure Maggie Grace did return to film something at a later time. We shall see.

> As far as I?m concerned, Lost is all about Ben and Desmond and Daniel. And Richard.

I don’t think Desmond or Daniel Faraday are going to have much of a role, which is so sad considering how great their connection was in arguably the best ever episode, ‘The Constant’. They were easily two of the best cast members, Henry Ian Cuisak in particular a fantastic actor.

I’m guessing they had to kill Faraday and leave Desmond with his ‘happy ending’ because they knew the whole storyline was just too big for them to deal with when they had to focus on the other core characters for the final season. I doubt this is the last they’ll appear onscreen (obviously Jack’s already seen Desmond, whether he was actually on the plane is up for debate) but their stories are essentially done. Bummer.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

What?s interesting about that particular difference is that surely the bomb going off had no impact on Shannon?s decision to stay in Australia? Unless?maybe in this timeline her dad never died in that car crash. Something like that. It probably will never be explained. They could easily have said she was in the bathroom. I?m sure Maggie Grace did return to film something at a later time. We shall see.

If Maggie Grace didn’t want to come back, then I actually think it’s a situation where they should have bitten the bullet and recast. It’s more credibility-damaging to come up with a convoluted reason for her not to be around, when pretty much everything else stayed as it should have been. See also: Walt. It’s possibly a controversial opinion, but when the original kid got too old, they really should have recast.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>They were easily two of the best cast members, Henry Ian Cuisak in particular a fantastic actor.

Every time Desmond says “brother” (including in LA X) it’s basically my favourite moment of that particular episode. I don’t quite know why.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Incidentally (sorry for triple post) and this is going to damage my credibility as regards even commenting on Lost (as it’s akin to a New Who fan saying they’ve never seen Blink or Human Nature or Dalek) but I’ve never seen The Constant. Season four was around the time I was still just starting to pay attention, and for some reason that’s one I missed. Even entirely out of context/timeline I think I need to rectify that, though, so I’m downloading it.

Carlito
    Participant

> So far my quest for a HD version is proving fruitless. God, I miss Mininova.

I don’t watch Lost so I haven’t been on a quest for a HD version, but apparently http://www.monova.org/ is meant to be the ‘replacement site’ for Mininova, may be worth checking out if you haven’t already…

Bob Loblaw
    Participant

Cuse and Lindelof answer some questions from the premiere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKv1R66W8PM

pfm
    Participant

Seb, you’ve really got to watch ‘The Constant’, even though, in retrospect, killing off Faraday and cutting Desmond’s role down maybe lessens its impact. I still reckon it’s one of the best single episodes of anything I’ve ever seen. That, ‘The Shape Of Things To Come’ and the 2-part finale are, for me, Lost’s real peak. I’ll be very surprised if they can top those.

Voter Colonel
    Participant

Walt was meant to be older when we saw him again because of the difference in the rate of time flow between the Island and everywhere else.

I enjoyed watching Bram get staked, I wonder if that was an intentional Dracula gag? Also strangely satisfying to see Richard get punched.

Voter Colonel
    Participant

Oh yeah, just occurred to me some parallels between this “alternate timeline” and earlier series:
    Jack resuscitates Charlie after choking, just like when he was hung by Ethan.
    Charlie tells Jack he was “meant to die”, which echoes his inescapable death as predicted by Desmond.
    People lose the same things on landing at LAX as they did on the Island – Jack loses his father’s body, Jin loses his watch. Edward Mars loses his captive. Not sure about Locke’s knives but didn’t Boone or Sawyer or somebody pick them up originally before they got back to Locke?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Good spot! Like I say, I think a big point is going to be that even if they hadn’t crashed on the island, they would have had similar (and similarly crappy) lives.

Jonsmad
    Participant

I’ve never seen Lost. What have I missed so far? ;-)

pfm
    Participant

Only one of the greatest TV shows ever produced. So not much, really.

Jonsmad
    Participant

So it’s better than Robin’s Nest then? Well I could still watch it. I dont really know anything about it apart from an Island and something about a trap door and a polar bear. Is it ending soon?

ChrisM
    Participant

This is the last series. So, sort of. (But bear in mind American series are quite long and we’re just a couple of episode in on Sky1&2 now, so plenty to go.)

I’m thoroughly enjoying this one so far though. A newbie might be a bit lost* at this stage though. They have a kind of special ‘catch up- story so far’ episode if you don’t mind being spoiled, but this late in the day I’d suggest watching at least some of the earlier series.

*No, I wasn’t making a bad joke there, I wrote that without thinking.

Bob Loblaw
    Participant

I think one of the things that makes LOST so great is all theorising and debating it brings up from episode to episode. I feel like people watching the complete box set through in a couple of months will miss out on all the other parts of the LOST universe.

Oh, and this made me laugh. A lot.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

People seem to have been saying all over the place that the fact that the “man in black” is also the smoke monster is a “revelation”. Er, was I the only one who figured it out in the season five finale? The bit where the monster pretended to be Alex, and then all of a sudden the Locke-version was around? It was blatant, innit?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> and then all of a sudden the Locke-version was around?

But at that point no one even knew that *wasn’t* Locke. After the finale it was assumed the Man in Black was the Smoke Monster, but there#’s big difference between fan assumption and the show confirming it.

Bob Loblaw
    Participant

In the second part of the interview I linked to earlier, Lindelof says that MIB is not in Locke’s body, while Cuse confirms it is smokey. Could just be lying.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Well, MiB is obviously not in Locke’s body as Locke’s body was in the coffin.

pfm
    Participant

Yeah, the smoke monster doesn’t inhabit dead people’s bodies, it can appear to people in the form of a dead person. At one stage we thought the body had to disappear, as though the monster had ‘consumed’ it, though this obviously didn’t happen with Locke because his body’s intact.

I don’t think Christian Shephard’s appearances were ever the monster posing as him. He is something else.

Bob Loblaw
    Participant

That’s what I meant to say, Man in Locke isn’t Man in Black. And what does that make Walt?

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I don’t actually like the whole MIB is Smokie revelation. I was looking back over series 1 when Smokie was first crashing through the trees and ripping pilots from plane wreckages and such. It didn’t seem to me to be a sentient person in another form…more a supernatural and fearsome force. I would have prefered it to be a creature/entity that could be called upon by MIB or was granted the task of protecting some section of the island…maybe the temple area or something.

Also, I’m predicting that Jacob is God or some similar representation of good and that MIB is the devil. Seems weird that we haven’t had his name yet. Could it be Lucifer?…Satan? Something like that.

The scene that had these two talking at the start of series 5 showed them talking about an inevitable outcome. The route to this outcome changed, but not the outcome itself. I’m predicting that the “inevitable outcome” is that Good will always triumph over Evil. And now MIB has found his “loophole”, perhaps evil will triumph!

Blisschick
    Participant

>Oh, and this made me laugh. A lot.

Best. Link. Evah. Me and the hubby got a good laugh out of that!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Fuck me, that was a good one. Surprised to get some proper revelations this early in the season. Also, episodes that focus on Locke are great.

Also, Ben as an uptight teacher complaining about coffee made me do proper LOLs.

si
    Participant

There was a photo of a woman in the paper a day or two, and she was the spitting image of Hurley. Unfortunately, I can’t find the picture, or remember the story. So… pointless, really.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Anyone watched this yet? Nice bit of television, but would have liked it if they’d explained stuff from the first five years of the show, rather than just the last one.

hummingbird
    Participant

I haven’t seen the finale yet, but I’m wondering what you think hasn’t been explained?
    I think they’ve done a pretty good job of explaining most of what’s happened since day 1 – certainly all the important stuff.

Jo
    Participant

>Anyone watched this yet? Nice bit of television, but would have liked it if they’d explained stuff from the first five years of the show, rather than just the last one.

Yup, I watched it at 5am this morning. What did you want them to explain?

Lisa – Why are you in a LOST thread risking being spoilered if you’ve not watched it yet?!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Well, ignoring anything that can be explained away as being to do with Island’s powers (which I hadn’t expected to get an answer to)…

Why they were all (including non-candidates)connected before the Island?, What happened to Walt and why was he seemingly so important in the first two seasons?, Why did Charlie go mad before Aaron’s baptism?, What was all the time travel about?, What did Widmore actually want beyond a vague exploitation of the Island’s power?, Why did Claire leave Aaron?, What possessed Sayid?, What was all that bollocks about Jack’s tattoo?, Why did Sayid end up with Shannon rather than Nadia? Why did Ben kill Locke after talking him out of killing himself? Why did Ben believe he was in control of Smokie?

For starters.

I’d also like an explanation for the numbers, but apparently this was covered in spin-off media. Which is lame.

Jo
    Participant

You want the moon on a stick, you do!

Someone smarter than me will probably have answers to all your questions, but I’ll have a go and tell you my theories nonetheless :oD

Non-candidates – The non-candidates were just as important as they played a role in getting the candidates where they needed to be/keeping them sane/playing the role of red-shirts.

Walt – I believe this was a fuck up on the part of the people in charge who didn’t foresee that the actor who plays Walt would grow up in 6 years… so they dropped it quickly!

Charlie – I’d imagine heroin played a major part in him going a bit mental, he was using again at that point wasn’t he? The Virgin Mary statues? Wasn’t his reasoning that he wanted Aaron baptised so that he wouldn’t go to hell or something?

Time-Travel – *shrugs* all to do with the Island’s magical abilities being messed up after the hatch exploded. Best I can do, sorry!

Widmore – I’m guessing the magical healing properties of the island was what he was after, whether for his own use or as a businessman he saw an opportunity to make a lot of money, you’d have to decide for yourself.

Claire – She left Aaron after speaking to Christian/The Man in Black. As she said afterwards if you let him speak to you then you’re already with him.

Sayid – The darkness possessed Sayid, when Jacob (protector of the light) died the temple became territory of The Man in Black and the healing properties of the water worked in a different way.

Jack’s tattoo – It was Bollocks. End of. A really shit filler episode with far too much Dr. Fathead in it.

Shannon/Nadia – Because in the sideways/purgatory he’d already made that decision to let Nadia go, he’d decided that he wasn’t good enough for her and she was with his brother. Plus she knew what he’d done in order to keep them safe (i.e. killing people) and he couldn’t live with that when she’d been up on a pedestal for all those years. Shannon was Sayid’s deepest emotional connection with the island and he, hers. Shannon knew everything that he’d done in the past and already accepted that when they fell in love on the island. (or you know I could just be talking bollocks)

Ben/Locke – Maybe Ben knew he wouldn’t go through with it anyway. Maybe he had to be murdered rather than commit suicide in order for The Man in Black (who Ben thought was Jacob at the time) to use his image. Maybe he just really wanted to kill him as a power trip!

Ben/Smokey – Because The Man in Black let him believe that. As long as it served his ultimate goal then why not let Ben do all the work for him?

So… yeah. That’s all I’ve got at the moment!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I salute your efforts!

I’ve got more quezzies if you want ;-)

hummingbird
    Participant

>> Lisa – Why are you in a LOST thread risking being spoilered if you’ve not watched it yet?!

I saw there was only one new post so figured I’d risk it. I live dangerously, me ;-)

Just to expand on Jo’s answers …

Non- candidates: *everyone* on the island was originally a candidate – do you remember the cave with all the names crossed out? And the wheel in the lighthouse? The final candidates were decided by a process of elimination.

Charlie: he wasn’t using anymore at that point (he says so himself), but he was having freaky dreams/visions and getting pretty paranoid.

Time Travel: although it’s a rather unsatisfying explanation, I see this as a plot device so that they could show us the history of the island.

Widmore: neither Ben nor Widmore were ‘special’, their conflict was all about control of the island … but neither understood its true nature (nor did Alpert)

Jack’s tattoo: Matthew Fox already had the tattoo, and they foolishly tried to write a whole episode around it. The definition of a filler ep.

Shannon/Nadia: The people were linked because of their experiences on the island. Nadia was never on the island.

Ben/Locke: Ben said it himself – he was jealous, and Ben was still trying to get back to the island at that point. It was for the same reason that he tried to kill him every other time; jealous because he was losing control, because Locke was ‘special’.

>> I’d also like an explanation for the numbers, but apparently this was covered in spin-off media. Which is lame.

Each candidate was given a number in the cave and on the wheel in the lighthouse, and as the candidates were eliminated the numbers corresponded to those who were left.

steven87gill
    Participant

I’ve posted this on digital spy but i figure i’ll give my two cents here

I think the writers were just being a bit too clever by half with that twist

In the context of what it turned out to be i could’ve done without the flash sideways, i know it was done for american audiences to soften the blow of the ending simply being jack dying, but i bet the response to the finale would’ve been alot more positive without it.

I guess people with more religious conviction than me will get more out of the flash sideway’s/purgatory (and i’ll admit to getting teary eyed at some of the reunions) but for me it felt a little bit too self indulgent and disctracted from the finale series.

And i’ll be honest after A2A i’m just getting a little bit tired of religious/purgatory/afterlife explanations.

The big difference between american and brit writers:

Lost: Gateway to heaven = Church

A2A: Gateway to heaven = Pub! :)

pfm
    Participant

I remember everyone banging on about it, ‘what about Jack’s tattoos? Will they be explained??’ When they did explain them the episode was shit. When they explained a few things about the island in Across The Sea the episode was shit. When they explained the whispers with a throwaway line that was shit too.

Pretty much every time the writers went into show/explain mode it never felt right IMO. This kind of revelation always feels like it has to be laid out as though explaining to a 3-year-old, simply because of the general audience watching (many who, apparently, now think the characters have ALWAYS been dead since the crash, episode 1…idiots!!!).

THANKFULLY most people can ‘get’ emotional scenes so they can throw in plenty of those and they’re winners (I loved most of those moments in the finale, especially Sawyer and Juliet ‘you got it, blondie…’). They are what you pay your actors for, not for spouting off pseudo-religious or pseudo-scientific bollocks about light caves and time travel.

The Jack/Christian scene at the end is what the whole 6 seasons has been leading to. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit of the whole idea of the flash-sideways/limbo/whatever-you-want-to-call-it came to the writers when they were wondering how they were finally gonna get that father/son moment. They have always been adament that Christian was dead so the only real way of achieving that scene was to have Jack dead also.

I thought of Harry Potter a couple of times during the finale. The ending of that series hinges on love and death in a similar way, and the Jack/Christian scene made me think of the King’s Cross moment toward the end. Those who hate the Lost finale would definitely hate the Harry Potter ending.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>When they explained a few things about the island in Across The Sea the episode was shit.

I can’t really fathom the response to that episode. I rather liked it.

>Pretty much every time the writers went into show/explain mode it never felt right IMO.

The solution, then, is rather than answering/ignoring barking mad questions, just don’t pose them in the first place. Y’know, if they don’t go anywhere.

>Those who hate the Lost finale would definitely hate the Harry Potter ending.

I’m fairly indifferent to the Lost finale. The lack of answers is irritating as this was the main reason this show caught the public’s imagination. I remember someone telling me about the show the day after it aired on Channel 4 back in 2005. I’d assumed it was a fairly standard desert-island story and hadn’t been particularly interested in watching it. Then they started mentioning polar bears and smoke monsters. I went home and downloaded it.

I have a ton of issues with The Deathly Hallows (sitting in a tent for 200 pages…exciting!) but the ACTUAL end of the story is fine. The Kings Cross epilogue, though, is just utterly redundant. It’s far, far worse than the final scene of Lost (which I didn’t really mind) because it’s so definitive. So, Harry lived a boring life and everyone ended up with the same people they were with at school? Thrilling. Why did I need to know that? Or is just to rule out any further adventures/spin-offs?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Or is just to rule out any further adventures/spin-offs?

I honestly think it was literally that. If Rowling had left it open there would have been endless pressure for follow-ups.

pfm
    Participant

> If Rowling had left it open there would have been endless pressure for follow-ups.

Surely killing Harry would have been the easiest way to get out of that??

I think one reason she included the epilogue was to leave herself the chance to go back to that world 19 years down the line, if she really wanted to.

Anyway I wasn’t referring to the epilogue, I meant the King’s Cross limbo/dream scene with Harry and Dumbledore. When Jack touched the coffin and Christian appeared it reminded me of that moment, especially the ‘am I real?’ lines, which are almost the same as in Deathly Hallows.

Andrew
    Participant

Presented without comment (since I never saw the finale):

http://io9.com/5547255/50-questions-lost-needed-to-answer-a-report-card

Bob Loblaw
    Participant
    Pete Part Three
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eomWspUS8B0&feature=player_embedded

Ho hum.

I mean, I’m all for a few ambiguities and dangling plot threads, but fucking hell…

I’ve never watched an episode of Lost more than once and now I’m weighing up whether the whole thing is ever worth a rewatch on DVD from start to finish. I mean, I genuinely enjoyed being stumped by it and it held my attention far more than other TV dramas…but sitting there knowing that this isn’t really going anywhere truly robs it of something, especially when there were so many episodes that had no bearing on the overall arc. I was close to giving up on it in Season 2, but kept the faith when they effectively cancelled themselves, believing that they actually knew what they were doing. I don’t consider it as having wasted my time, just my intelligence! It was stupid to think too much about this show.

Bah.

The equivalent of a batshit crazy girlfriend. Nice to have around for entertainment value, but sooner or later you have to run away and hope to god you never see her again…

Andrew
    Participant

God, I wish it were easier to track down old forum discussions. The Lost discussions from a few years ago would be awfully interesting…

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

hint hint

hummingbird
    Participant

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eomWspUS8B0&feature=player_embedded

Sometimes I wonder if these people ever actually watch the show.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

A: Have you ever actually seen any of it?

B: I’ve seen… the US Pilot, that’s based on one of them…

A: No, but have you actually seen any?

B: Not all the way through no, But I can quote some though!

A: Well, go on then!

B: [prepares self] ‘Change…’ That’s all I can remember…

A: What’s that from then?

B: Polymorph II, you moron, that great “Change” speech. Change.. something something something”. It’s brilliant. Unforgettable…

pfm
    Participant

Danny, how dare you bring Red Dwarf into this???

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Sorry… *skulks away*

Jo
    Participant

>Non- candidates: *everyone* on the island was originally a candidate – do you remember the cave with all the names crossed out? And the wheel in the lighthouse? The final candidates were decided by a process of elimination.

Interesting that you say that, because I don’t think that’s the case at all!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Yeah, the vast array of names didn’t cover all of Oceanic 815 – it was the people who’d been candidates over however many decades/centuries…

Bob Loblaw
    Participant

This would explain why Smokey was able to kill the pilot in the Pilot. He wasn’t a candidate and therefore the “rules” didn’t apply to him.

pfm
    Participant

Just seen the smoke monster described as a polymorph elsewhere which is…interesting and totally non-Dwarf-related…

It’s pretty obvious that the original idea the writers had for the smoke monster was that it could turn into anyone or anything it could take from people’s memories (the part where it ‘scanned’ Eko, that now seems pointless). That’s why they had it appear as the black horse that Kate nearly crashed into in her flashback. They did try to ‘explain’ that later by showing horses grazing near another Dharma station (the Flame, I think) but it’s obvious the horse was meant to be the monster, and that huge bird that appeared a few times earlier on in the show.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Eko was originally going to become the smoke monster until the actor left. I heard on the Remember When Podcast that they asked him to return for the finale, but he wanted 5 times the money being offered…

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

This was what I was expecting….
    name brand sunglasses

Jo
    Participant

It turns out it was all Bouncer’s dream!

Dave
    Participant

I wasn’t expecting to have an opinion on the Lost, but I really liked this:

http://9gag.com/gag/23897?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

What do people think about Lost almost a year later? Anyone re-watched it from the start from the perspective of knowing how it will end?

hummingbird
    Participant

I keep meaning to do a complete rewatch, but it’s a hell of a lot of episodes.
    I suppose you could do a season per week if you put your mind to it, but I just don’t have that many hours to spare.

Muzzy
    Participant

As much as the last series/episode was a huge disappointment in that it didn’t really answer a lot (apart from showing that the islands mysterious powers were in place due to some equally unexplained light in a cave!) I always liked the ending and closure it gave to the characters. Apart from all the questions, Lost was really about the characters and we saw many of them before the island, on the island, escaping the island and then coming back to the island! Over the 6 series I really got close to a lot of them, so to see the majority of them getting back together and finding redemption and happiness in the end did move me quite a bit. It completely screwed up most of the weird island stuff, but as a character drama I do think Lost is one of the best there is.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

We started a rewatch a while ago (Series 1 in HD!) but it stalled because of the ridiculous amount of good TV we have to watch.

At the time I really liked the finale, but the more I’ve thought about it since the more I’ve realised it was a bit bobbins. Definitely need to watch the whole thing again, though, because at its best (Series 2) it was incredible.

pfm
    Participant

One of, if not the best, pilot episodes ever made, along with four of the greatest season finales in history (seasons 3 & 4 in particular, so powerful…), the odd bit of guff in between but, up until the season 5 opener, we had some classic television right there.

Unfortunately…well I’m not even gonna go any further than mentioning how all that potential, all that promise was slowly but surely pissed up against the wall as seasons 5 & 6 went on. Some bright spots, especially Terry O’Quinn’s performance…but the season 4 finale…Ben pushing the wheel with the awesome version of his theme over it…that’s Lost’s real peak.

Maybe the biggest mistake they made was coming up with more interesting characters and ideas (Desmond, Faraday, Ben vs Widmore setup etc.) that, when it came down to it, they had to cast to one side like they were nothing in order to get back to the ‘core’ story.

No…an even bigger mistake than that was even attempting to explain ANYTHING about the island. The whole thing with the ‘light’ at the heart of the island should never have come into the story at all. Why do it? The show should have ended with all its mythos intact, the island keeping its secrets. Sure, the writers might have been lynched for giving no ‘answers’, but I think that would have been preferrable to what we DID get!

The characters got a great ending but the island, the story, the mythology…talk about dropping the ball…

Viewing 81 posts - 1 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.