Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum What is the story behind this Red Dwarf clip?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

In 1999, the BBC produced a series of promotional trailers entitled ‘Serious About Comedy’, in which the comedy stars of the day including Ronnie Barker, Stephen Fry and Harry Enfield, all tell a story that would be edited together. Each star would tell a bit of the story and the full edited version would see the story being told by each star at various points.

Curiously, at about two minutes in, we see a clip from Red Dwarf, with Chris Barrie and Craig Charles in their Series 8 attire. The set doesn’t appear to be one that has been used previously, which suggests that it was specially created for this trailer. It’s such a short clip, and the quality isn’t great, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/34bVhKCFlsM?t=127

Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

flanl3
    Participant

Is that even Chris?

si
    Participant

I remember seeing this before. Yeah, it’s Chris. His hair is just a bit longer then Rimmer’s usual look.

flanl3
    Participant

I’d suppose the lighting also makes his right cheek (and only his right one, somehow) look a bit chubbier than usual? Funny that way.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Strangely, it seems a screengrab of this is/was the picture selected to represent one of the series of Red Dwarf on Sky Go.

I kept looking at it thinking “what the hell is that from?” and trying to figure out the episode.

srmcd1
    Participant

Dang, I wish this *was* an actual RD set.

Blisschick
    Participant

Chris was also a bit heavier during this time, so that also could account for the “chubbiness”.

flanl3
    Participant

I really do think it’s more the lighting than Chris himself, but good to know.

Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

Is this the only time Victor Meldrew, Ronnie Barker and Red Dwarf have all appeared together in the same clip?

(deleted)
    Participant

No, there’s that Children in Need special where Arkwright and Victor fuck Lister over some bins.

Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

I wonder what the full clip of this looks like, and also why it wasn’t included on the DVD releases.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I don’t really understand the thread title, since you answer the question in your post? The story of the clip is exactly what you’ve described.

I don’t know exactly when it was filmed, and indeed I remember asking Ian and John if they knew anything about it when I saw it again myself on Youtube about a year ago. But the simple answer is probably that they came in specially for the day on a cheap set mocked up to look like Series VIII.

Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

So why wasn’t the whole thing included as an extra on the Series 8 DVD, Seb? I’m assuming they shot them both narrating the whole story and only used the small bit we saw.

Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

Better quality version:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

Managed to find a promotional image from the shoot:

si
    Participant

Hm. Okay, 1) Well done on finding that shot. I’ve never seen it before, and never even thought they might have taken promo shots for that scene. And
    2l Fucking Hell, that set’s hideous.

flanl3
    Participant

Aw, Chris looks cute in that one.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I’ve seen that photo before, but only in about 200px wide resolution. Kudos for finding it!

But I can’t answer why it wasn’t included on the VIII DVD, because I’ve never been involved with the DVDs. My guess would be rights issues or that they straight up don’t have it any more? Andrew did flick me a reply on Twitter about this the other day, but then the Trumpocalypse happened and so going back through my mentions to find it would take too long.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

That promo shot is what they use on Sky Go in the 200px wide version Seb mentioned. So odd. I’ve been squinting at since XI started.

Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

I wonder if this was the last Red Dwarf thing they shot specifically for BBC TV.

MANI506
    Participant

I remember seeing this promo at the time and thinking it was all a bit pony looking. Chris is in full Gary Prince mode here. Interesting to think this is what series IX might have looked like.

(deleted)
    Participant

This was so exciting when it first appeared, and a nice reminder of when the BBC bothered commissioning any proper comedy shows. I think it is indeed the final thing they shot with the BBC, although I think a Holly trail for UK Gold from the VIII shoot might have first aired after this did, if that makes it count as the last ‘new’ BBC Dwarf footage. But then there’s the DVDs so that argument follows that the unseen deleted scenes on the Bodysnatcher DVD were the last ‘new’ BBC Dwarf footage, in 2007. It’s probably simpler to say this promo was, really.

It’s also depressing how many people in it are now dead.

(Good spot on the Prince Among Men hair by the way!)

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Why is Chris apparently desperate to conceal his arms under the table? And I want a non wanking explanation please.

si
    Participant

He was having a wa…oh.

flanl3
    Participant

I mean,

The location of the zipper in the costume means that he could very well have it open all the way down there in the picture without it being obvious, given that we only see a small segment of the flap over the aipper

That set. The aesthetic is more Look Around You than Red Dwarf.

Jonsmad
    Participant

April 1999. rimmer kicks death in the balls

Nov 99 children in need. Rimmer ” but he survives”

Nine years later..

flanl3
    Participant

Wait, does that put them at nine years after this clip instead of Only the Good… since this is when they were last seen?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.