Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum What would you expect of Red Dwarf XIII?

Viewing 27 posts - 101 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Ben Saunders
    Participant

Have they done body transplants irl yet? I’m interested to see how the voice changes. Obviously going from a male to female body would change your voice somewhat (right?) and man to man might have less of an effect.

flanl3
    Participant

You do get to keep your head in one

Moonlight
    Participant

Interesting how Skipper implies that mind backups for hologrammatic projection are performed manually, since Lister’s last one was at 23. I always assumed Rimmer remembered everything right up until the moment of his (first) death, but I guess it’s slightly less horrifying not to remember something like that.

They clearly didn’t think the process through until later. The US pilot has hologram Rimmer saying the last thing he remembers being having his brain scanned, but then later they still recycle the joke about him saying what death feels like.

Call me crazy, but I’m starting to suspect that the US pilot was kind of a confused pile of rubbish.

clem
    Participant

> they still recycle the joke about him saying what death feels like.

I’ve always took that to mean what it feels like to be dead, rather than actually dying.

Moonlight
    Participant

Either way, they clearly had Rimmer remembering up to his death at first.

flanl3
    Participant

Perhaps the leak/experiment gone wrong knocked out the holodisk recording system. Before the leak, it was recording constantly, so Lister’s last backup was as he entered stasis. The reason why he did his routine from The End in M-Corp is probably just because that’s what he does to annoy Rimmer when he’s 23, it wasn’t a one-time thing.

Dave
    Participant

Interesting how Skipper implies that mind backups for hologrammatic projection are performed manually,

I always took this to be the case, probably because the first book describes it this way – there’s the whole bit with Petersen being drunk when he gets his done, meaning that if he ever came back as an hologram he’d have a horrendous hangover.

bloodteller
    Blocked

>The US pilot has hologram Rimmer saying the last thing he remembers being having his brain scanned

???? the line is “i was biting on a stick in the medical room…then there was a white flash….and i died. oh god, i’m dead” which is surely him recovering in the medical unit after his failed exam and then getting hit by the radiation leak.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

They mention that the escape pod from Rimmerworld has solar accelerators aboard which should provide Rimmer with all the energy he needs to power his hard light drive. Presumably they were able to salvage it when they rescued Rimmer later and it solved all his energy needs.

Moonlight
    Participant

???? the line is “i was biting on a stick in the medical room…then there was a white flash….and i died. oh god, i’m dead” which is surely him recovering in the medical unit after his failed exam and then getting hit by the radiation leak.

I took that to be a DNA test or some shit to replicate him as a hologram.

Moonlight
    Participant

Clearly I am projecting logic onto a poorly thought-out mess. Carry on.

bloodteller
    Blocked

i mean he later recognises kryten when they find him so his hologram must have been after they met him.

i think it’s meant to be that his hologram is from straight after his death, given that he explicitly states he remembers dying

Ben Saunders
    Participant

If a disabled person was brought back as a hologram, would they “fix” the disability? If it was a stutter, social anxiety, a broken leg, brain damage? Would it be considered ethical to “fix” someone when they were dead? Presumably you could get (posthumous) consent from them.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

I was about to ask if disability has been cured by the time of Red Dwarf, but ironically enough Cured shows the answer to be no, as the crew aren’t suspicious of somebody being in a wheelchair.

Flap Jack
    Participant

My take is that they would be able to fix a hologram’s pre-mortem physical disabilities if they desired but not their mental illnesses, what with brains being inordinately complex and holograms’ minds just being wholesale copies of them.

I assume that holograms could be given virtual treatments, at least.

Also, it’s pretty strange that physical disabilities haven’t been cured in the Red Dwarf universe, because apparently even cleaning robots come with nanobots which are capable not only of rebuilding missing limbs, but of invoking the power of Satan to bring people from ancient history back to life.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

>but not their mental illnesses, what with brains being inordinately complex and holograms’ minds just being wholesale copies of them.
    What about things like draining Rimmer’s negativity in Trojan, or loading in his Charisma etc in Psirens? If you can delete negativity can you delete schizophrenia?

Warbodog
    Participant

Personality tuck machine in Can of Worms.

Flap Jack
    Participant

What about things like draining Rimmer’s negativity in Trojan, or loading in his Charisma etc in Psirens? If you can delete negativity can you delete schizophrenia?

Personality tuck machine in Can of Worms.

These seem like pretty good examples of how mental illnesses could be virtually treated, but not necessarily removed outright.

IMO, they should only be able to treat mental illnesses in holograms to the extent that they theoretically could treat them in living human beings, so mood alterations or experimental personality shifts are doable, but you can’t just move BodyDysmorphicDisorder.exe to the Recycle Bin.

flanl3
    Participant

Why, in Cured, were the crew baffled that four people could be brought back when they literally witnessed it happening to 1167 people?

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Because Series VIII took place in an alternate universe where Red Dwarf was a farce

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Death is now the handicap it used to be in the old days.

bloodteller
    Blocked

>Why, in Cured, were the crew baffled that four people could be brought back when they literally witnessed it happening to 1167 people?

to be fair, it’s a lot more impressive to revive Hitler and Stalin than Selby and Chen.

Dave
    Participant

Not so impressive when you’ve already met Hitler. And a droid Hitler.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Is it really more impressive to revive somebody from 3,000,200 years ago than just 3,000,005?

Dollar Pound
    Participant

iguana call back

Dollar Pound
    Participant

jump cuts

Dollar Pound
    Participant

no rice

Viewing 27 posts - 101 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.