When did Red Dwarf jump the shark?

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum When did Red Dwarf jump the shark?

This topic contains 53 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Ben Saunders 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 54 posts - 1 through 54 (of 54 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Jawscvmcdia

“Jumping the shark” is defined by Wikipedia as “crossing the point where something that was once popular no longer warrants the attention it has previously received, particularly when attempts at publicity only serve to highlight its irrelevance”. This is especially applicable to television series or other entertainment outlets.

As you all know, Red Dwarf has been in production in one way or another since 1987, and naturally any television show that has been produced for this long will see a decline in quality. Just look at The Simpsons as a popular example of this. So, with this in mind, when do you think the show first “jumped the shark”? Was it Series 8? Series 10? And do you think that it can get back to the same level of quality that it had in its prime?

quinn_drummer

I think killing the entire crew in the first episode personally.

All these great, much loved characters just obliterated because the writers had run out of ideas for them.

Jimboid

Great topic. Why hasn’t this been discussed before?

Jimboid

Sorry, I mean:

I think I detected a dip in quality after the first six series, but not sure if anyone else feels the same way.

Dave

crossing the point where something that was once popular no longer warrants the attention it has previously received, particularly when attempts at publicity only serve to highlight its irrelevance

Reminds me of something.

Pete Part Three

I think it was probably around the time Jawscvmcdia started watching.

Jawscvmcdia

>I think it was probably around the time Jawscvmcdia started watching.

So about 2003 then?

quinn_drummer

> So about 2003 then?

yeah, release DVDs really was the turning point for the show.

Ben Saunders

Going off the ship in II was jumping the shark.
    Meeting another life form in II was jumping the shark.
    Replacing David Ross was jumping the shark.
    The revamp for series III was jumping the shark.
    Recasting Holly – for a woman! – was jumping the shark.
    Revealing that the entire Red Dwarf premise was a videogame in Back to Reality was jumping the shark, then revealing that it actually wasn’t was jumping the shark twice in one episode.
    Losing Red Dwarf was jumping the shark.
    Changing Rimmer’s H was jumping the shark.
    Playing pool with planets was jumping the shark.
    Getting rid of Rimmer was jumping the shark.
    Surfing the alligator was jumping the shark.
    Having Rimmer become Ace was jumping the shark.
    Losing Rimmer and bringing in Kochanski was jumping the shark.
    Bringing the studio audience back was jumping the shark.
    Finding Red Dwarf rebuilt with all the original crew and the original Rimmer and Holly but no original Kochanski was debatably -actually- jumping the shark.
    Trying to make a movie for 9 years was jumping the shark.
    Revealing that the entire Red Dwarf premise was a TV show in Back to Earth was jumping the shark, then revealing that it actually wasn’t was jumping the shark twice in one episode.
    Pig racing was jumping the shark.
    Intergalactic QVC three million years into the future was jumping the shark.
    The quantum rod was jumping the shark.
    Laughing at a woman dying horribly was jumping the shark.
    Lister calling his ex a slag was jumping the shark.
    Completely rewriting the history of earth was jumping the shark.
    Doing Me² again was jumping the shark.
    Meeting the Universe was jumping the shark.
    Having Lister regress to mentally 23 years old was jumping the shark.
    Bringing back Talkie Toaster was jumping the shark.
    Mr. Rat was jumping the shark.

Did I miss anything?

Ben Saunders

Oh, and recasting Holly -for a man!- was jumping the shark.

Dave

Revealing that the entire Red Dwarf premise was a TV show in Back to Earth was jumping the shark, then revealing that it actually wasn’t was jumping the shark twice in one episode.

(two episodes)

Ben Saunders

(Back to Earth is one episode which was split up into three parts for its initial televisual broadcast)

Dave

So why is it called Series 9?

Ben Saunders

It’s a series of parts of one episode, obviously

International Debris

That’s a pretty solid list of why it’s difficult to do this with a show like Red Dwarf that intentionally cuts ties with its past and redefines itself in radical ways pretty regularly, as well as one that intrinsically relies on absurd scenarios.

I also agree that VIII is probably the only time when it would fit, as that actually rewrote the entire premise for the show, on fairly flimsy grounds, and resulted in what is largely agreed to be the worst run of episodes.

flanl3

Red Dwarf IX was Red Dwarf I Remastered, remember?

bloodteller

>So why is it called Series 9?

it’s not, it’s called Back To Earth.

my uncle simply calls it “shit”, though.

Dave

I might have known that.

Not about your uncle, the other part.

International Debris

>So why is it called Series 9?

it’s not

Do I have to bring up the French DVD AGAIN?

bloodteller

but Back To Earth is the actual offical legit title

also we are not the French

bloodteller

well some of you might be the French, i don’t actually know

Dave

‘Saison’ means season, not series.

flanl3

Do I have to bring up the French DVD AGAIN?

Do I have to bring up fuck off AGAIN?

flanl3

Who are we to let some French designer decide what’s right?

bloodteller

Back To Earth is Back To Earth, surely. thats what its called and so thats what it is.

but if you’re debating about titles, my friend always calls it the “Red Dwarf Movie” so lets add that one to the slate

Pete Part Three

>So about 2003 then?

Yeah, if you like. Next question?

Ridley

>Reminds me of something.

If you said Alex S or Jawscvmcdia you are wrong: he was never popular.

Dollar Pound

what’s a shark?

Pete Part Three

PFMC84

Well, Mr French man, we don’t like your design work around here. And we certainly don’t like French DVD cover designers poncing around in their black polo-necks filling everyone’s heads with their theories about how Red Dwarf’s 9th broadcast television series is not actually called “series 9” and the absurdity of the concept that it is! Clear?

PFMC84

Oh, and Kryten using a builders hat with some foam padding as a cloche was jumping the shark

flanl3

Whenever I’m in a Red Dwarf discussion space apart from here or TOS, my rule of thumb is always that anybody who calls Back to Earth “9” or “IX” is not worth listening to or trying to talk to.

Please don’t ruin that for me.

RamesesNiblickTheThird

Series XIII with that Fonzie cameo.

Other wise Series VII is the closest in a way with Ace Rimmer ‘Jumping the alligator’

Ben Saunders

There are moments in VII which feel more absurd than the usual Dwarf fare (surfing alligators, using dental floss as rope and supporting the weight of a fully grown adult female with one of your most likely poorly maintained front teeth), but which honestly probably aren’t all that ridiculous compared to what happened in the show previously. Dinosaur on a Spaceship is pretty damn absurd, though. But is that so far from DNA? Probably.

International Debris

The alligator bit in Stoke is meant to be absurd though, it’s a Bond parody.
    The dental floss bit is nonsense, but definitely no more than earlier aspects of the show.
    Dinosaur on a spaceship doesn’t bother me as a concept. It could probably have been done well. Sadly it ended up being Pete Part 2.

clem

Isn’t it a crocodile in Stoke? I know Ace says “See ya later, alligator!” but obviously he’s just doing a Bond-esque quip. The Germans call it a crocodile in the A-Z. I can’t really remember what it looks like either. Is it alligators that have shorter snouts? (I think this thread might have just jumped the shark.)

bloodteller

>using dental floss as rope and supporting the weight of a fully grown adult female

well its set in the future, maybe dental floss is stronger in the future

Ben Saunders

Are your teeth stronger, too?

PFMC84

Well it was super glue that was holding it all together. Maybe it was super duper futuristic glue that had mutated, just like the developing fluid from Timeslides, and was ridiculously more powerful?

Jimboid

> Dinosaur on a spaceship doesn’t bother me as a concept. It could probably have been done well. Sadly it ended up being Pete Part 2.

There was a decent Doctor Who episode with dinosaurs on a spaceship.

Can’t remember what it was called.

Ben Saunders

The super glue was holding it to Lister’s teeth which were ultimately doing the heavy lifting and it is the idea that Lister’s teeth could hold such weight which I am calling into question, not the sturdiness of the floss or the hold of the glue.

PFMC84

His DNA had been altered so perhaps as a result he has super strong teeth?

Pete Part Three

I would say they’re all deciding factors in answering the question “could a man lift a woman using only dental floss attached to a front artificial tooth by superglue”.

The final answer being “Nope, what a shit idea”.

Dave

There was a decent Doctor Who episode with dinosaurs on a spaceship.

Can’t remember what it was called.

I remember it was an Eleventh Doctor episode with a lead role for Matt Smith.

If it had been a Twelfth Doctor episode it would have featured a Pete part, too.

Ben Saunders

>If it had been a Twelfth Doctor episode it would have featured a Pete part, too.
    Please explain this joke
    wait no SHIT i got it pete capaldi

bloodteller

Pete Capaldi-Part 1

Dave

The joke, there.

Ben Saunders

To be fair me calling Pete “dinosaur on a spaceship” as a The Joke but I didn’t bring it up

Ben Saunders

WAS

Ridley

Explaining the joke is also an VIII reference.

Ben Saunders

Now that’s what I call meta

Katydid

Well, you have this thing that makes your hair stand on end. It’s like, a cream of some sort. Grill cream? I don’t know. Well, anyway, Holly says that he’s found this stuff, the hair standing on end stuff, in the supplies. And it’s a cream, right? And he says he’s found stuff that’ll make your hair stand on end, because that’s what the cream does. But it’s like a pun, right, because you think he’s saying it’ll make your hair stand on end like it’s alarming, but it’s actually just Brylcreem. But then he goes and explains that to the audience, in case they didn’t get it.

And that’s basically the gag.

Pete Part Three

I don’t get it.

Ben Saunders

It’s a brill cream joke

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 54 posts - 1 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.