Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Who Series Four Cinema Trailer

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Jonsmad
    Participant
    thomasaevans
    Participant

Yeah saw It thursday night, when we had a staff preview of Cloverfield. Both pretty good. Though the Chris Moyles trailer attached is SO gonna cause us problems…!

penny
    Participant

Ooooooooooh!

John Hoare
    Participant

Though the Chris Moyles trailer attached is SO gonna cause us problems?!

As an unashamed fan of Chris Moyles – TELL ME MORE PLEASE.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Oh, it’s really, really fucking annoying. I saw it when we went to see Golden Compass over Christmas. It’s an audio only thing, with a blank screen, and Moyles and “Comedy” Dave TITTING ABOUT. Alright, so if you’re a radio geek they do some mildly amusing stuff with stereo, but I don’t want that man’s ANNOYING VOICE blaring out for five minutes when I’m there to see a FILM.

thomasaevans
    Participant

Ok…HUGH Chris Moyles Breakfast fan. My only quibble is that myself working in a cinema, when that trailer comes on… people complain that the screen is not working but the sound is! lol.

Im more annoyed that including the cinema mini ident, chris moyles adm doc who ad, carlton screen advertising ident, loads of commercials, then the cinema main ident, three or four trailers, the fact warning… it comes to 35 minutes before the bloody film starts.

This does not make happy customers, and therefore… not happy workers.

John Hoare
    Participant

That does, I’m afraid, sound absolutely fantastic. I might go and see a film this weekend just to try and catch it. Doing it audio only is really clever.

thomasaevans
    Participant

Btw…. the posting time is wrong. How long has It been like that?

thomasaevans
    Participant

I miss Pearl & Dean.

John Hoare
    Participant

Btw?. the posting time is wrong. How long has It been like that?

If you go into your account settings, you can change the timezone to make it work properly.

It should do it automatically, but there are complications. It’s on the list to fix, though.

penny
    Participant

>it comes to 35 minutes before the bloody film starts.

Really!? … At ours it’s meant to be 25 mins but we’ve cut it down to 20 mins.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I’ve started to count the amount of time after the scheduled start time that a film now starts. It’s getting worse every time, is completely unacceptable, and is contributing to my growing habit for pirating (or getting hold of screener DVDs through work) films rather than going to the cinema.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I should hasten to add that I don’t mind getting lots and lots of trailers – but nowadays, it seems you have to sit through twenty minutes of crap adverts only to be rewarded with a couple of short trailers. NOT ON.

John Hoare
    Participant

I love watching ads in the cinema. Yeah, some of them are crap, but it’s fun to rip them apart – and some of them are absolutely stunning when you see them properly on the big screen. Not been to the cinema in a while though, so I can’t point out any I love at the moment.

But yes, you don’t want loads of adverts followed by two short trailers. You want it about equal, ideally.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

The point is, if you’re given a start time for a film, that’s when the film should start. Put all the adverts you want on… BEFORE that time.

But Odeons have become pretty much unbearable for me, now – Golden Compass at Christmas was just about the last straw. Picturehouses almost exclusively from now on, I think…

Dave
    Participant

“Deep in the heart of the Solar System? Fancy a curry? Then why not drop in at the Titan Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant? Enjoy the finest Tandoori Cuisine at 1/5 gravity. Just a short space-walk from this cinema.”

Phil
    Participant

>Put all the adverts you want on? BEFORE that time.

Can’t vouch for you guys, obviously, but here in the states that’s exactly what happens…only you get adverts before AND after the start time. No matter when you walk into the theater here you are faced with commercials for films, toys, video games, restaurants, television programs, misc. services, pretty much everything. Then the start time hits, the lights dim, and all that happens is you begin phase II of the trailers. It’s preposterous.

I don’t doubt that you sit 20 – 30 after “start time” before the film actually begins, but what this does is really punish the people who get there early…they get probably twice the amount!

TheLeen
    Participant

Same in Germany. Everything starts AT start time with some 20+ minutes of commercials (professional ones, then a part with really cheap local ones (like the restaurant one posted above), more professional ones) then some 3 different movie trailers adding up to 5 – 10 (if you’re lucky) minutes.

The only good thing about this is that by the time the actual film starts, people are largely done with opening bags of crisps, throwing popcorn, muting their phones and other things that create unwanted noise and/or light.

I still like to go early, sit in my chair, reading a movie mag until they dim the lights…

Baz
    Participant

Saw Cloverfield over the weekend (brilliant, but not if you suffer from motion sickness, Girlfriend spent most of it with her head in my lap) and we got Pearl and Dean AND trailers. And cool trailers too- Jumpers, Caspian and… Star Trek. The latter being so cool I got goosebumps.

No “…just five minutes from this cinema!” though. Well, this was the Empire Leicester Square.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Girlfriend spent most of it with her head in my lap

!

Baz
    Participant

Well quite.

We’re going again tomorrow…

thomasaevans
    Participant

The Cloverfield thing… i think I mentioned we have warnings for the motion sickness. It does make me laugh, but I suppose there is the evidence.

Btw.. starting Star Trek in another post.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Presumably this is the type of thing Chris Moyles is trying to aim for with the cinema trailer. I don’t think he quite hits the heights of Kenny, but he’s the only guy out there who’s really trying at the moment.

John Hoare
    Participant

I suspect nobody in our lifetime will hit the heights of what Kenny managed to do.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

thomasaevans – your cinema isn’t doing it properly then. The Chris Moyles/Doctor Who is meant to start 5 minutes before the advertised start time, with the Carlton Screen ident being the official start of the programme. But the headers are still running at 25-30 mins after this, including the 5 or 6 mentions of ODEON…

Cloverfield is seriously fucking people up big time though. At my cinema we’d all kind of like to see it in IMAX, just to see if anyone was still left at the end…

Somebody
    Participant

I’ve taken to taking my PDA and a pair of headphones into the cinema, closing my eyes and putting the music loud enough to drown out the adverts/etc & only checking occasionally to see when the film starts. It really has got that bad I think.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I’m less annoyed about having to wait to see the film – you expect that, it’s what trailers are for and it means you don’t have to worry if you’re running a bit later than planned; but what irks me is that the adverts now have far more running time – and, it seems, are ascribed far more importance – than the trailers. And as someone who sees a good trailer as an integral part of the cinema-going experience, that’s saddening.

bluedwarf
    Participant

I love to see the trailers, as long as they’re similar to the film I’m seeing of course. Like, I’d hate to see pride + prejudice before Cloverfield etc. Actually I saw some good trailers before Cloverfield, Star Trek was ace, Jumper looks good (a ripoff of Xmen i’m sure, but who cares) and I’m sure there was another sci-fi-type filem, but can’t think what it was now.

pfm
    Participant

Some slight racism from the Everett there…

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Kenny was inspired and fabulous, but was, ahem, a ‘product of his time’. I don’t think any malice was intended.

John Hoare
    Participant

this

That might have my favourite YouTube comment ever.

Clever and original! Two words that describe the man that many of us in radio aspire to. Obviously not the AIDS bit, though!

Baz
    Participant

But it’s all done in the best possible taste!

Wish they’d release more Kenny, got the “Naughty Bits” dvd, but that’s all there is (apart from the odd VHS tape). Saw a collected audio tape once in a motorway service station and thought “Oo, pick that up later!” and I’ve never seen it since.

John Hoare
    Participant

There was a release of the first BBC series listed on Incoming, but it’s disappeared now.

It NEEDS a release as soon as possible. I wish they’d release some of his radio stuff, too.

pfm
    Participant

They’d probably cut it all to fuck anyway.

pfm
    Participant

And the new Davros is…this guy here (on the left, obviously)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/graphics/2007/03/02/btchas.jpg

Julian Bleach.

I think this review of his performance in The Tempest sums up why we should be excited by his casting –

He looks and acts as the archetypal Nosferatu, the ultimate vampire, imprisoned forever in his human body, a prison that must be to him, a being of fire and air, distasteful and unbearably confining. Bleach portrays this wonderfully through his awkward stance, holding himself permanently at an angle, his shoulders hunched and his arms, almost glued to his sides. His walk, slow and protracted, often taking up to five minutes to cross the stage, spoke volumes of a ?spirit? confined, a being unable to adjust to the human form, unsure of how to work it, and in constant discomfort because of his material form.

However, arguably, Bleach?s appearance could be passed off as unusual for Ariel, but nothing more. Or at least, it could be, if it weren?t for his voice;
    …It adds crucially to the air of mystery around Ariel, and makes his sinister appearance all the more memorable ? it could almost be said, haunting ? as his voice delivering the centuries? old lines remains ringing in the ears of the audience long after the performance has ended.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.