Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Wii Fit

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    John Hoare
    Participant

OW

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I saw an advert for this. I have a feeling I’d not get on with a game that informs me of the exact extent of my fat bastardness. Games should exacerbate such things, not fix them. Pah!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

“You’re fat, but you could be fatter!

John Hoare
    Participant

It was a shock to see that I was nearly 19 stone. I haven’t weighed myself for years. Well into the clinically obese range.

TheLeen
    Participant

Yoga Hero?

They’re taking it a bit far.

Phil
    Participant

Is it fun?

Tanya Jones
    Participant

I love it, but I’m defintely the target demographic; people who want to get back into the habit of exercising. The yoga poses and muscle exercises are good for me, as I used to do them and so I’m not too bad, meaning my motivation to continue is easy. The aerobic exercises are ok, with the boxing game I’ve unlocked being much better than the ones on Wii Sports, and the balance games are good fun. One thing I do disagree with is the recommendation that you do your Body Test daily; weighing yourself every day is pointless, because your weight varies daily for many reasons. John found himself 2lb heavier on the second day, prompting a bit of a lecture from the programme when he hadn’t done anything that different. Once a week is quite enough, in my opinion.

If you’re already doing an exercise routine you’re happy with, then Wii Fit won’t really do much for you, but if you need a nudge to remember how good exercise made you feel, then it’s great, especially if you feel too inhibited to exercise outside or in a gym.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

>I have a feeling I?d not get on with a game that informs me of the exact extent of my fat bastardness.

It’s a shock to find out just how heavy you are, but it is quite reassuring and charming about it, and the focus is defintely on helping you get stronger, rather than concentrating on weight alone.

Andrew
    Participant

> weighing yourself every day is pointless

This. Yes.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I’m not sure what happened the first time I weighed myself, but it didn’t do it properly as it said I was extremely underweight. I weighed myself again yesterday and it told me I’d put on 10 stone in 2 days…

Tanya Jones
    Participant

I had a glitch with that the other day; I guess it’s just first-gen problems. It seems ok most of the time, though.

John Hoare
    Participant

Yes, I don’t really know how the thing got to market with the recommendation that you weigh yourself every day. The game has clearly had a *lot* of expert advice put into pretty much every area of it, so I don’t know how they missed that one. It smacks of a programmer’s mind, wanting to get data as often as possible to do a nice little graph – which is in sharp contrast to everything else about the game.

It’s pretty much the only fault with it that I’ve come across, though. It’s HUGE amounts of fun, and if anything is going to help nudge me to get fit, this will.

TheLeen
    Participant

I don’t know. Airobic, okay, but I wouldn’t do any yoga without a proper yoga teacher watching me – and I doubt the Wii fit thing can really do that. And doing yoga wrong can really mess you up.

Dave
    Participant

I just saw the advert again, and the thing you stand on doesn’t look very sturdy. Does it have an upper weight limit?

John Hoare
    Participant

The Western version has an upper limit of 23 stone. The Japanese version only allows 21 stone.

And it’s PLENTY sturdy enough in action, don’t worry. Although the game tells you off if you jump on it accidentally!

Dave
    Participant

I’m a ten stone weakling, but it’s interesting that the Japanese don’t anticipate needing those two extra stones.

John Hoare
    Participant

As I recall, the original version was 21 stone – and then it was bumped up for the worldwide market once other countries said “But we’re fat cunts, though”.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Marleen; I used to do yoga, and there’s obviously been a lot of work put into the exercises to give you pretty much the same advice I used to get in class. So I wouldn’t worry about that too much, especially as there’s a long tradition of yoga videos and books.

James
    Participant

What setting does the US version have? Mama need the pry bar…

Dave
    Participant

Wash yourself with a rag on a stick?

pfm
    Participant

Just make sure you go to the loo (properly, no pissing about) before you weigh yourself. Hey presto, you’re a stone lighter!

Bringing sex into an exercise routine helps, even if you’re on your own. Why not knock one out while doing 30 squat thrusts. Remember to swap hands half way through. As for couples exercising, you’re getting hot and sweaty and NOT inserting things into each other? What’s the point?? Get down to it.

ChrisM
    Participant

Just make sure you go to the loo (properly, no pissing about) before you weigh yourself. Hey presto, you?re a stone lighter!

A whole stone, that’s quite load.

Bringing sex into an exercise routine helps

I actually saw an episode of a series that suggested this. (It was on one of those cable channels, although I forget the name. Something like sex in the future, or cybersex… Basically having sex whilst working your muscle groups…

Sounds interesting… if purely a fantasy for some of us.

Not so much the self love though, bearing in mind both arms usually take your weight in that kind of exercise. Looks like a (grantedly humorous) accident waiting to happen.

Al
    Participant

I got this for my girlfriend the other day, and it told her she was 32, and me that I was 38. Im not even 22 yet! My girlfriends in great shape but she doesnt do much exercising so I can kind of understand that… but I dont see how when my centre of gravity was only slightly off, and Im smack bang in the middle of ideal BMI it said I was that old. Granted, I dont really exercise apart from doing lots of walking, but it cant see my beer belly, so how did the cocky little bugger come to that conclusion?

After about an hours messing around with the jogging, some yoga, hula hooping, jacknife sit-ups, it told me that Id lost a pound, and I now had an age of 30. Eh?

Tanya Jones
    Participant

I wouldn’t take too much notice of the fitness age; it very much depends on how well you do at the games.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.