Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Back in the Red – one hour version?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Turk Thrust
    Participant

Obviously the Dwarf DVDs were more than excellent, but one thing that sadly we didn’t get to see was the BITR 60 minute version. As Doug, in the Series VIII scripts book, has bemoaned that extending the story did it no favours, maybe that was an opportunity missed.

So has a fan edit ever appeared? And do people think that an hour long version could have dramatically improved the episode? My take would be that there are some really nice moments and jokes spread across the episodes but there are also things that never should have got close to getting on screen.

If Doug had been able to make the show as he’d originally intended though, would it mainly have been shorter pieces of dialogue that wouldn’t have been included? Would ‘bigger’ ideas such as the blue midget dance and the Dibbley family have remained?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Erm, it is on the VIII DVD.

pfm
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, is the 1 hour version on all DVD release, e.g. Just The Shows? If not then you can maybe forgive the OP for having that set and not realising it was on the individual releases.

Turk Thrust
    Participant

Surely the version on the DVD is close to 90 minutes long.

So if Doug had had his wish, the one hour broadcast version would have been very different and contained plenty of cuts?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It’s almost as shit as the 3 parter. Yay!

JamesTC
    Participant

The version on the DVD is 90 minutes, not 60 minutes. 90 minutes isn’t an hour, 60 minutes is an hour ;)

It is a shame we have never got a Writers Cut or something like that but I really like the Xtended version anyway.

In that case I retract my facepalm. I didn’t check to be honest, I just assumed Ian knew his stuff.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

That’s a very bad assumption these days. Apologies, Turk Thrust.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Do we actually know what was added? All that shit with Kryten and the Data Doctor is my bet. Also, the bit where his hand inflates and flies away. And the Dibbley family. And the Blue Midget dance. And Rimmer hitting his dick with a hammer. And the claymation bit. And the false ending to the dream sequnce. And…. Arghhh. The memories.

Turk Thrust
    Participant

> And Rimmer hitting his dick with a hammer.

I do quite like the image of Doug suggesting the concept of Rimmer intentionally and repeatedly whacking his lovespuds with a hammer and the script editor, Ed, Chris etc. all agreeing unquestioningly that it was a great idea. There is a wonderful degree of lunacy in that.

JamesTC
    Participant

It would also be nice to see ‘Pete’ as originally intended, a single half hour episode.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It would also be nice to see the script in a bin, set alight and then pissesd upon. By me. Laughing. Always laughing.

JamesTC
    Participant

The Series VIII script book is excellent so it wouldn’t be nice. But at least you’d then find ‘Pete’ funny.

Antipodean
    Participant

Pete Part Three — you can tell some of what was added from the deleted scenes.

For instance, almost all the business in the second layer of A.R. was added in later. It would’ve gone from Kochanski trying to throw herself at Rimmer in the fake AR suite, then we’d see the real AR suite (which looked different, with them lying down in surgical gowns rather than standing up in wall recesses) and Hollister watching it all on a screen. So the elevator scene, the ugly “real” ground controller, the theory of relativity discussion and Holly revealing he resurrected the crew was all added in later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.