Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The Late Late Show with Confidence (Craig Ferguson)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mr-Stabby
    Participant

Does anybody else watch this?

I’ve recently got into Craig Ferguson’s Late Late Show on CBS in America. Luckily some nice people on YouTube upload it every day (it’s a daily show). Long and the short of it is Craig talks bollocks for an hour and talks to a couple of guests (talks, not interviews). His way of doing it is much better than the likes of Jonathan Ross and David Letterman in my view. He also occasionally banters with a robot sidesick which is always a laugh. Sometimes you get sketches too, but not often.

I wish we had something like this in this country. A daily late night talk show. Even Jonathan Ross’ new show on ITV is so stuck in the late night talk show format that was invented decades ago. Graham Norton does it a lot better, but he doesn’t come close to Craig Ferguson in my view and is also a very acquired taste.

Here’s the latest episode from a couple of days back. Well worth a watch :) Subscribe to the bloke as he tends to upload them every day.

http://youtu.be/8ub-bTpWbuQ

A Bailey
    Participant

It’s one of my favourite shows, Craig Ferguson is just so damn fun. He has a few really good feature episodes as well. Wouldn’t be surprised if he does something Red Dwarf themed when the new episodes come out, I can imagine him being a fan of the show.

He did an entire episode dedicated to Doctor Who, including a big opening musical number with lyrics to the Orbital Doctor Who song. For rights reasons the musical number had to be cut from the episode but they sneakily uploaded it to YouTube after:

Full episode as it aired available here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps1yeCvSGAc

The great thing about Craig Ferguson is how honest he can be. Look up his monologues talking about his parents deaths, or his divorce, or talking about his alcoholism. While he does wacky episodes he can also be really damn serious, one of his episodes had Steven Fry as a guest and it wasn’t a normal episode, just him and Fry on the set talking to each other for an hour with no audience.

HelloMabel
    Participant

First attempt at posting from phone, i remember others had difficulties so we’ll see how it goes.

Yes, I love The Late Late Show! Definitely better than any other shows in the genre or any previous hosts of the show. The writing is awesome, especially the camera gags. (I’m not in the industry so not sure if ‘camera gag’ is the right name for it- when the joke is something like the camera starts rolling and the guest isn’t aware of it, or like the dead air at the beginning of the above clip.)

I’ll never forget seeing CF on the Drew Carey Show and thinking, no way is that Lister’s Confidence. That dude is hot! But his delivery was still impeccable and seems to have gotten even better. seeing him get the late late show gig was thrilling especially when he turned out to be so good at hosting. My big recommendation: the Desmond Tutu episode. But you probably knew I would say that.

HelloMabel
    Participant

@ Adam – oh yeah, thanks for reminding me about the Stephen Fry episode! Yes, definitely another don’t miss ep.
    He is a Dwarf fan of course, seeing as how they hired him once. He had Hattie on Late Late once and they mentioned how it was a shame they weren’t both on RD at the same time.

Blisschick
    Participant

I’ve been watching Craig’s show for about 4 years now. I love the man. He’s the only late night show I watch now. I knew him from Drew Carey first, then watching RD one day, kept thinking I knew that Confidence guy from somewhere…

I think Ben Paddon has been to one of his tapings, the first night he had Matt Smith on, but I could be remembering wrong…And the Doctor Who opening did eventually get shown, like two weeks later. It was great. :)

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

The great thing about Craig Ferguson is how honest he can be. Look up his monologues talking about his parents deaths, or his divorce, or talking about his alcoholism. While he does wacky episodes he can also be really damn serious, one of his episodes had Steven Fry as a guest and it wasn’t a normal episode, just him and Fry on the set talking to each other for an hour with no audience.

I’m not ashamed to admit, i was tearing up when i watched those episodes when his parents had just died. Could you imagine Jay Leno or David Letterman doing anything even close to that in that situation? His monologue about his alcoholism was great too. Just the right amount of serious, but a bit of comedy in there not to make it too awkward. Although the stupid audience were laughing at the serious bits too, clearly not getting it!

I loved that Stephen Fry episode too. As much as the audience can help a dead show sometimes, they can also really get in the way. Doesn’t help that they are clearly told at the beginning to laugh at everything. It’s also clear that the warmup comedian tells them to do certain things like go insane whenever Craig says ‘It’s a great day for America’ or whenever the cash prize is mentioned. That Stephen Fry episode showed how much an audience can get in the way. Though i will concede that the show overall works better with an audience.

He had Hattie on Late Late once and they mentioned how it was a shame they weren’t both on RD at the same time.

Oh yeah i forgot they had Hattie on! She was great on it. Just watched it on YouTube.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Love this show. Been in the audience several times.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

Love this show. Been in the audience several times.

Ah coolio. Is the warmup comedian as annoying as Craig seems to suggest he is? Forcing you to clap when certain things are mentioned?

I really want at some point to see the show, but i’ll have to get to America first. Sadly i doubt i’ll get to see it before they move to their new studio. I’d quite like to see just how small that basement is, it looks very small on camera even with wide lenses.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Stabby: I know lodging costs is hardly the biggest obstacle, but if it would help, you could camp out on our sofa. I ran it by the bf and he’s cool with that.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Ah coolio. Is the warmup comedian as annoying as Craig seems to suggest he is? Forcing you to clap when certain things are mentioned?

Craig exaggerates on the show – the warm-up guy is actually pretty good at what he does. Plus he dispenses terrible American candy.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

Stabby: I know lodging costs is hardly the biggest obstacle, but if it would help, you could camp out on our sofa. I ran it by the bf and he’s cool with that.

That’s very kind of you :) And who said Dwarf fans weren’t nice :)

Luckily, i could afford a nice hotel if i were ever to go, its just finding the time (I seem to always have no time).

Phil
    Participant

>And who said Dwarf fans weren’t nice :)

Norm

Blisschick
    Participant

Norm? Norm who? I don’t know no Norm.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.