Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum VII FIlmic Removal

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    thomasaevans
    Participant

Few things here.

Firstly – did anyone genuinley confirm what was done to give VII the filmic look? This frame removal thing Robert mentions… that true?

Second – I think It Is. BECAUSE on my Sony Bravia, there’s a feature called Motionflow:

Sony Website – “On a conventional 50Hz TV fast moving action films or sports can sometimes be hard to follow. Motionflow technology delivers a smoother, less blurry experience by creating and inserting completely new transitional images between every frame of the TV picture. The result is clean, clear and sharp images, no matter how fast the action gets.”

This is kinda bollocks, but what it does Is doubles the number of frames (100Hz,) and on some set’s (like mine) double’s that again (200Hz). The result? Watching VII without the filmic look, it genuinely looks like the other series.

Thirdly – Why does Ourobouros and Duct Soup Extended have the title sequence without the filmic look (also Rimmer’s entrance in Tikka and Kryten’s electric shock end scene in Tikka)?

Apologies If all this has been addressed before…

Jimboid
    Participant

You can’t unpolish a turd.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

This is kinda bollocks, but what it does Is doubles the number of frames (100Hz,) and on some set’s (like mine) double’s that again (200Hz). The result? Watching VII without the filmic look, it genuinely looks like the other series.

This is ACE. VII would’ve looked so much better without that ugly film effect.

Thirdly – Why does Ourobouros and Duct Soup Extended have the title sequence without the filmic look (also Rimmer’s entrance in Tikka and Kryten’s electric shock end scene in Tikka)?

Because mistakes.

thomasaevans
    Participant

I wish I could video It to show you the difference, but It really does completely remove the filmic look.

Tell you what though – watching films in this mode makes EVERYTHING look like ‘Public Enemy’, or indeed the soon to be released ‘The hobbit’.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

I hate the 100hz and 200hz TVs that try and smooth motion out. I’m not saying they do a bad job of smoothing out the motion, in fact a lot of TVs do quite a good job. It’s just another ‘feature’ of TVs that takes the picture even further away from what the makers intended. It’s the same reason i hate those stupid ‘Vivid Colour’ modes and ‘Virtual Surround’ modes. The makers spend thousands of pounds on calibrated editing monitors and sound equipment and spend ages grading the picture so they can get the colour just the way they want it, only for a stupid TV mode which is turned on by default and most people don’t even notice to ruin it in one step. Argh it annoys me…

At least if all manufacturers kept to some kind of standard, it would be ok. But look in any normal TV shop, and you’ll notice that not one TV has the picture looking exactly the same as the other. The first thing i do when i buy a new TV is turn all the crappy ‘vivid colour’ modes and stuff off.

As for the whole filmic effect debate, long and the short of it is , i think it worked in VII, whereas the Re-mastered really didn’t.

Anyway moving on :D

Moonlight
    Participant

I personally feel the 100hz and 200hz do a terrible job of smoothing motion. Different parts of the picture always seem to be moving at different frame rates, and it’s so jarring and distracting that I can’t even watch a TV with that mode.

pfm
    Participant

It would have been interesting to see a 50Hz version of one of the VII episodes on the VII DVD, just for comparison. This wouldn’t be possible with, say, Doctor Who because, since it went HD, they’ve shot it progressively (i.e. 25Hz).

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

Well the XTended title sequences give you a sort of idea, and i dunno. With the single camera look, and single camera lighting, 50i to me just looks a bit weird…. Especially when it came to effects like explosions and Krytens head blowing to bits. I’m sure what with the Hobbit and all i’ll have to get use to that smoothness of motion as it’ll probably be in a lot more films in the future, but i can’t help but be distracted by it.

thomasaevans
    Participant

Yeah the 100hz/200hz motionflow does NOTHING that it’s intended for frankly… I suppose the exception may be football. It does help watching football. So does the ‘off’ button.

pfm
    Participant

> So does the ‘off’ button.

*applauds* :P

IMO enough of The Hobbit looks like a TV show even at 24fps…

The 3D fad (which is what it is and always will be) has a lot to answer for.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Actually the 3D fad has nothing to do with the fps for The Hobbit, but OH WELL.

John Hoare
    Participant

THIS IS A BORING TOPIC

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

THIS IS A BORING TOPIC

Ben Paddon
    Participant

S’a bit rich coming from you, Hoare.

John Hoare
    Participant

That's The Joke

pfm
    Participant

> Actually the 3D fad has nothing to do with the fps for The Hobbit, but OH WELL.

I meant it looks like TV cause they have to overlight everything due to 3D. No wonder people were saying it looked like ‘I Claudius’ at those 48fps screenings months ago. The lighting and grade being setup for 3D, coupled with the 48fps, is gonna make it look like an interlaced audience sitcom rather than an epic fantasy movie!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I CLAVDIVS.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.