Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Back to Earth – Will It have a Title Sequence?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    thomasaevans
    Participant

I think Its a serious possability that there will be no traditional title sequence for these episodes.

All previous title sequences had clips from the fourthcoming series, and since this a mini-series, they wouldnt wanna reveal too much in the first 30secs no?

So here’s some alternates:

– Red Dwarf theme sting: A fancy logo formation with a shortened version of the opening theme, bit like the intros to bonus material on the dvd

– 2001 ASO: The original Red Dwarf opening sequence, redone, as intended with the one pull away shot (like in remastered) but done with the real model and NOT the CG

– Series 7: Logo and writing credits like in the extended Duct Soup, short and pontless

– Cheesy poses where the actos names are displayed (like Holby City :S)

I would very much like the 2001 ASO opening with the model. Any other thoughts?

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

i guess they could do a normal opening with clips from the past series and new eps . but seing as this is NEW dwarf they probably wont do that

si
    Participant

They could pan round the empty ship, with the traditional (Seres I/II) theme playing, ending with the logo. That’s just my suggestion.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I can’t see that a few flash-clips would give all that much away. They’ve got an hour and a half to play with – we’d see far more in a trailer for a film of that length (or indeed a trailer for the show) after all…

Phil
    Participant

>They?ve got an hour and a half to play with

Well, 70 minutes. Unless there’s a possibility that they’d include clips from whatever commercials are going to air…

But I see thomas’ point. The clips selected for the opening sequence were either action-oriented (things blowing up, guns being fired, etc.) or enormously bizarre (the polymorph rising behind the crew, those little hooded guys popping up, etc.).

And how many of those would exist in the 3 episodes we’re getting? Enough to pad out the entire opening sequence when each one is trimmed to a second or two? I’m sure we have enough FOOTAGE, but maybe not enough footage of the right type. Since it’s only one story there’s only so many monsters they will meet and daring escapes they will make.

(I hope.)

thomasaevans
    Participant

Perhaps. Im pondering with all the changes that they might want to do something classy with the opening. Ive edited the Red Dwarf theme down to about 20secs as an example of something shorter, but listening to It, mabey the edit would be more apropriate for a making of documentary.

Ive chucked some pics on it and uploaded it to youtube If you want to listen, but as I write this… Its till being processed.

(fyi its NOT an example of the opening titles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YSAWr4VLMk

Carlito
    Participant

I’m calling a full-length opening sequence on the first episode, and full-length credits on the last.

And maybe a series VII style short logo flash at the start of the middle and last episode to save time, and ‘Dead Set’ style “Credits @ reddwarf.co.uk” flash under the legend ‘To Be Continued…’ on eps 1 and 2.

Almighty_crj
    Participant

Believe it or not, I’m actually hoping for the pointless logo and writing credits in the second and third eps – so it won’t bite into time better used for recaps or jokes etc.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I have a feeling they might even go for a cold opening, which would be a cool way to bring you straight into the Dwarf universe.

Phil
    Participant

>time better used for recaps

I nominate this phrase for First Time Ever Used on G+T Status.

James
    Participant

I would like a straight into the action start, and no credits at the start like Lost for instance, credits at the end over a picture of the earth.

pfm
    Participant

I think the best way to start would be an empty starfield then a pan down to a distant, beautiful-looking CGI Red Dwarf (yes, the version based off the big model), slowly passing by a huge ringed planet. Goodall’s horn from series 1 starts and, as we zoom in on the Dwarf, a 3D version of the Red Dwarf logo briefly appears, its rings matching the planet’s exactly. We zoom right into a window with no cuts.

JamesTC
    Participant

Nah, go for the rock intrumental with clips, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

JamesTC
    Participant

Double post, damn!

hummingbird
    Participant

I have a feeling they might go for a teaser before a full title sequence.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

“Last decade on Red Dwarf… something terrible happened to Doug’s scriptwriting abilities! WATCH THIS!”

Phil
    Participant

win

locusceruleus
    Participant

I’ve just cacked me pants.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

[ROB GRANT walks over to DOUG NAYLOR, laying in bed, and extends an arm holding a copy of “Incompetence”.]

ROB GRANT
    Buddy, you look great!

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> ?Last decade on Red Dwarf? something terrible happened to Doug?s scriptwriting abilities! WATCH THIS!?

So you’re going for the alternative universe theory then?

JamesTC
    Participant

The title sequence to the new specials have been leaked – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDkj5mVVzW0&feature=related

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Brilliant.

Jonsmad
    Participant

So no one called this one then. Classic style clips intro, but with full credit names, a little american styled, kicking off the full logo over London!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The logo over London looked great.

Dax101
    Participant

i was dissapointed with it, id rather of had a series 1 and 2 style look just so give it a lil differents, giving that it had a movie look and there was no laughter

Mr Flibble
    Participant

It was a terrible title sequence.

We don’t need the cast names there, and all the other text (even “by Doug Naylor”) should have been over the opening scene.

Carlito
    Participant

With only 60-odd minutes of material to play with, and not wanting to spoil crucial scenes, they were probably quite limited as to what could go in the opening. I’m fine with it, no issues with the cast getting credited. The font doesn’t look so good in italics though.

hummingbird
    Participant

> It was a terrible title sequence

I quite liked it :P

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>The logo over London looked great.

Did we spot what was different about London?

hummingbird
    Participant

There was something else apart from the Tyrell building?

Dax101
    Participant

was it me or did the title sequence look like a fan video that you would find on youtube

Mr Flibble
    Participant

was it me or did the title sequence look like a fan video that you would find on youtube

I think the one someone here made was much better.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

>I think the one someone here made was much better.

I’m honoured :)

Phil1034
    Participant

I liked it.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

It was all right, though that’s mainly due to my aforementioned general dislike of montage credits.

thomasaevans
    Participant

BIG ASS EGYPTIAN TEMPLE?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.