Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Favourite story

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ben Kirkham
    Participant

I was watching ‘Back to Reality’ yesterday for the 19,000,000th time, and it got me thinking about great stoylines in Red Dwarf. So, here’s the question: what’s your favourite storyline and why?

Wow this thread died a death.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Well, there’s a distinction between favourite episode and favourite story. BTR is my favourite episode. Thanks for the Memory is my favourite story.

As Rob Grant says; it’s a whodunnit on a near-deserted ship. Completely baffling until the last five minutes. Very, very clever.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Thanks for the Memory is a lovely little bag of goodness.

Phil
    Participant

My favorite story is the one about Ian Symes and that rooster.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

I like the one about the little mouse with clogs on.

TheLeen
    Participant

Future Echoes.

Paul Muller
    Participant

Ditto.

James
    Participant

White Hole

locusceruleus
    Participant

The Inquisitor.

TheLeen
    Participant

And Queeg.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

“Bob”.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

My favourite story is the one of the utterly demented, genuinely mentally deficient and just plain evil “hockey Mom” who becomes one of the most powerful women in the world. I think it was a Disney film, or something? Too outlandish to ever happen, anyway!!!111

> My favourite story is the one of the utterly demented, genuinely mentally deficient and just plain evil ?hockey Mom? who becomes one of the most powerful women in the world. I think it was a Disney film, or something? Too outlandish to ever happen, anyway!!!111

I think you all ought to know that I lol’d. Big time.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> My favourite story is the one of the utterly demented, genuinely mentally deficient and just plain evil ?hockey Mom? who becomes one of the most powerful women in the world. I think it was a Disney film, or something? Too outlandish to ever happen, anyway!!!111

Got your alarm set from 2am on Friday morning? I can’t wait!

hummingbird
    Participant

>BTR is my favourite episode. Thanks for the Memory is my favourite story.

Me too. Although Marooned would come a very close second.

My favourite story is the one of the utterly demented, genuinely mentally deficient and just plain evil ?hockey Mom? who becomes one of the most powerful women in the world. I think it was a Disney film, or something? Too outlandish to ever happen, anyway!!!111

Oh, that is just so gosh-darned unrealistic it’s hilarious. And that’s why I’m crying at the thought of it. Must be. (Altho’ according to this site, Obama has a ton of electors compared to McCain, so it’s not quite time to panic yet.)

That said, Thanks for the Memory is an excellent story. I’m also kind of a softy for Holoship. And for the sake of rounding out my post, I’m also a fan of the rippled abs–engaging symbolism, sorry, in Terrorform.

locusceruleus
    Participant

Holoship always left me really cold, I just don’t feel it, and that’s plain sad. I kind of know its good, and can see why I should like it, but it just doesn’t move me on any level.

Thanks For The Memory on the other hand is a perfect example of how Red Dwarf can be really moving, thought-provoking stuff without shoving its vagina in your face.

hummingbird
    Participant

Holoship always left me really cold, I just don?t feel it, and that?s plain sad. I kind of know its good, and can see why I should like it, but it just doesn?t move me on any level.

I really like Holoship.
    But not for the whole Rimmer/Nirvanah aspect – the “romantic” aspect is irrelevant. That’s not even what the ep is about.

I like it because it explores Rimmer’s character in much the same way it did in Marooned: his response to somone else’s self-sacrifice – or perceived self-sacrifice in Marooned.
    In essence it’s the same story, except for Rimmer the stakes are bigger in Holoship as in the end he’s losing far more.
    In that way it’s up there with Thanks.

Lurve don’t enter into it. I never bought that anyway.
    To put it all down to love is actually trivialising what they’re showing us about the character, which is that there is actually something more to him under all that crap.

TheLeen
    Participant

Holoship is a good story, and has some really funny bits. But I can’t watch it. Supposedly super-sexy Nirvanah’s voice irritates me. Completely puts me off.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I think Holoship’s only major problem is having to squeeze so much into 28 minutes. We don’t really get a handle on why Nirvanah loves Rimmer and vice versa.

TheLeen
    Participant

It can happen, like that. You can fall in love in an instant.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yeah, that’s fine but Nirvanah’s love seems to stem from feeling sorry for Rimmer which isn’t a great place to be.

Rimmer pretty much comes across as deeply sympathetic throughout the episode which is fine for changing the audience perceptions, less believable for seducing a high-flying officer.

hummingbird
    Participant

>It can happen, like that. You can fall in love in an instant.

True. But I don’t buy it from Rimmer’s POV.
    Throughout the ep his reasons for wanting to be on the Enlightenment are all about career and status. Not once do you get the impression that he’s doing it to be with her. Even when he thinks he’s failed, it’s all about him not achieving his dream, it’s not about losing her. That’s why I don’t buy it.

Andrew
    Participant

Question: Would the deleted scenes actually improve the episode’s ‘flaws’?

I’m honestly not sure it’s a time issue with Holoship, so much as Rob and Doug’s strengths being in areas other than romantic pathos.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

There’s an awkward bit after Rimmer and Nirvanah have sex and Rimmer is already professing his love for her. It actually cheapens their “romance” because it makes it look like he’s fallen for her just on the basis that she’s the second woman who’s given him a shag.

I quite like it when he thanks her for the weirdest afternoon of his life, but it’s over-played.

I thought there would have been more mileage in the mind-patch thing. The fact that Rimmer’s essentially going to give up his personality; but that’s the thing that Nirvanah seems to love about him.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I think that Nirvanah falls for Rimmer because he’s unlike anyone she knows – flawed, vulnerable and self-doubting. He makes her feel things she never felt with anyone on the Enlightenment.

Rimmer falls for her because she’s the only person who’s ever seen him as anything other than an arse.

Phil
    Participant

^^
    Right. Zombie Jim is right.

And Holoship is brilliant from start to finish.

I hate all of you who disagree and you’re cunts.

ChrisM
    Participant

Holoship is a fine episode.

>Holoship is a good story, and has some really funny bits. But I can?t watch it. Supposedly super-sexy Nirvanah?s voice irritates me. Completely puts me off.

Have you heard the actress’s real accent? Heh, heh. The sheer difference is fascinating. (I’m easily fascinated.)

Dave
    Participant

Gulliver’s Travels

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.