Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Guess the Ratings for ‘Back to Earth’

Viewing 49 posts - 1 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Mr-Stabby
    Participant

Winner gets a signed copy of Norman Lovetts new autobiography ‘I got my ball back!’ :)

As much as Red Dwarf is a great show, i don’t think we should be expecting massive viewing figures on Dave. I think the absolute best we can hope for is 2 million. Other than sports stuff, i think there’s only been a couple of things that have ever got around that amount. The first ep of Torchwood and an episode of Friends on Sky One i think it was.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Two million, I think, is far too high. Dwarf is a bit pull, but it’s still on a little digital channel that hasn’t even topped 1 million yet. Something amazing might happen, but I think 1 million is the pie in the sky target for now.

Dave
    Participant

I’ll watch it.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

Didn’t Dave get some ok figures for the ‘Best Car of the Year’ thing they did ages back? Thought that got over a million?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

No, we had a similar discussion a while ago on here and I don’t think that quite broke a million.

Carlito
    Participant

Dave touted ratings of about 6 million (or something, I can’t remember exactly but I did post the exact details before in the discussion JC mentioned), but neglected to mention that it was 6 million across the whole run. I would imagine Red Dwarf will be hailed as a ratings success as well, by totalling up the viewing figures for all four episodes. Hey, it makes Dave look better, and it will make Dwarf look better too, even if it’s a crock.

I’ll be optimistic and say this will be Dave’s highest ever rated show, and approach the 1.5m mark at its peak (and be declared a success with 5 million viewers across the board overall).

JamesTC
    Participant

I think it will be about a million and a half, with the amount of interest from the media I think it will have the pull.
    I think the DVD sales are a thing to wonder about, will the ‘Back to Earth’ DVD get the best sales of the DVDs?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

600,000, and then around 3-4million when BBC decide to buy it and repeat it on BBC2.

Carlito
    Participant

I will be even more optimistic if it gets a fair amount of mainstream publicity closer to airing. Dave is a very accessible channel. If people know it’s on and where to find it, there’s not much stopping it getting very, very good figures (for a digital channel).

pfm
    Participant

Anything pushing 1,000,000 would be a huge success, whereas under 500,000 and I would be somewhat disappointed. Though IMO you can hardly trust the figures. The big viewing figures for BBC1 just seem to come from people not being arsed to turn over, or the likes of the utter olfwats that don’t watch other channels ‘on principle’. I include my dad in this. Even though he watches many of the shows that Dave repeats (not Dwarf) he would never think for one second of actually turning over to Dave to watch them.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I’m feeling incredibly optimistic, and I’ll plump for 1.3 million.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I think they’ll do a personal best. Other forums I’m on have an eager anticipation for the new episodes. Even the non-Dwarf forums I use!

I’m so excited, all six of my nipples are tingling!! We’ll go ummmmmmmmmmmmm 3 million…… with a further 20 million worldwide by bit torrent downloads in first week!!

pfm
    Participant

A further 90,000 from Dave ja vu viewers…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Somebody
    Participant

> Dave touted ratings of about 6 million (or something, I can?t remember exactly but I did post the exact details before in the discussion JC mentioned), but neglected to mention that it was 6 million across the whole run.

It wasn’t even that, it was a misused version of “reach” across the whole run – that is, the number of people who had watched each episode for three minutes or more, totalled up (thus double-or-more counting a lot of people. If you use “reach”, you’re only meant to count each viewer once, whether they’ve watched three minutes or three hours.

I posted the actual figures from BARB’s website in this thread – http://www.ganymede.tv/forum/2009/01/new-series-of-red-dwarf-on-channel-4 – and it topped out at 329k for the final (indeed, that was the only one to make Dave’s top ten of a week, as I recall).

Dave’s record viewing figures to date are 756,000 for a QI repeat on Monday 28th Jan last year. Their top show of a week tends to be in the 450k-600k range.

I think One Million Viewers has to be the target for RD:BtE. If the average for all three eps stays over the 1m mark, so much the better.

hummingbird
    Participant

> 7

Does that include you, Pete?

I’m going for 800,000.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Nine.

si
    Participant

Roughly.

Somewhere between three and a hundred and twenty-five squillion, give or take a few.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’m no good at estimating, but i’d reckon we’ll get 78 million of them.

Steve Harris
    Participant

I reckon it’s going to smash all expectation (given the right advertising) and
    am going to go for 3 million…(on the main episodes)

Somebody
    Participant

Incidentally, when we mention viewers, are we counting Dave ja vu (i.e., Dave+1) or not?

For Dave, especially since Djv launched on Freeview, that’s a very significant portion of their viewers – on Wed 18 Feb, Red Dwarf got 187k for the 10:40pm Djv repeat – second for Djv for the week – and the earlier Dave showing didn’t chart, and thus got less than 260k. That means that the Djv showing got more than half of the Dave showing at the very least, and could conceivably have beaten it.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Twelvety.

John Hoare
    Participant

I’m going for 1.5m for the first episode, dropping to 1.2m for the second and third.

pfm
    Participant

> I?m going for 1.5m for the first episode, dropping to 1.2m for the second and third.

I’m sure everyone would be VERY happy with that. The promotion means that this is a realistic figure as well. At first I thought they had started the hype too soon but now I totally see why it has to be done this way. It’s RED DWARF, man, and it’s COMING BACK!! Get a town crier or somebody FFS, tell all the mutterfrakkin’ WORLD. There’s only a few weeks to go!!

Austin Ross
    Participant

It’ll be the same as the number of kangaroos it takes to change a tap. Except, of course, they can’t! At best, they can locate the source of the water leak by boinging up and down inside your house to see if that somehow affects the water pressure, but even then they’re gonna be hard put to do anything about it unless one of them happens to have the right copper-connecting mechanism in her sack of babies.

Failing that, I’d say 4,691 irradiated haggis.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Austin Ross!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

AUSTIN ROSS.

Austin Ross
    Participant

ME.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

AUSTIN.

si
    Participant

When will we get trailers on Dave? I mentioned to Cappsy that we got the first onscreen mention the other night of the new specials (via one of them there slidey bar things).
    When we get a proper trailer, hopefully a time and date will be announced in advance, but if not, and it just appears from nowhere, someone get on here straight away with details, so we can all record it on Dave ja vu.

JamesTC
    Participant

>When we get a proper trailer, hopefully a time and date will be announced in advance, but if not, and it just appears from nowhere, someone get on here straight away with details, so we can all record it on Dave ja vu.

What? You mean April 10th at 9pm?

si
    Participant

No, so we can record the TRAILER.

JamesTC
    Participant

Oh you want a date for a trailer? They would give that out? I’m sure they would put the trailer on the Dave site.

pfm
    Participant

> I mentioned to Cappsy that we got the first onscreen mention the other night of the new specials (via one of them there slidey bar things).

Bloody hell, I never saw that! Was it during the series 2 repeats?

> I?m sure they would put the trailer on the Dave site.

Maybe. They may crop up on the DVD as well. I’m still convinced it’s gonna say ‘Dave on Dave’.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

That’s Austeen Ross, tonight at 9.

Phil
    Participant

The ratings for Back to Earth from Hol’s Post Pod will be:

Part 1: C-
    Part 2: D
    Part 3: F
    Making of: F and thirteen paragraphs complaining both that it didn’t deserve to be a three-parter and that it wasn’t a complete series.

si
    Participant

I reckon the trailers will pan up Coronation Street, with the caption and voiceover, ‘Coronation Street comes to Dave…’ – then Carbug drives past the camera…

JamesTC
    Participant

Will QI have ended when Dwarf is on?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I think it’s the last in the series this week.

JamesTC
    Participant

Already? This series has gone quick.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I thought that at first, but then I realised that this week’s will be the tenth in the series (twelfth if you include the Children In Need and Christmas specials), so we can’t really complain!

JamesTC
    Participant

Oh I’m not complaining, this series has been the best yet and we have had the XL versions which have been fantastic.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> Hol?s Post Pod

That’s still going?

Jo
    Participant

It’ll have a six in it, but it won’t be six thousand.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

*Applauds*

Jonsmad
    Participant

What ratings did that Blackadder documentary get on G.O.L.D ?

I’d like dwarf to get better than that, as the bbc seemed to want to copy that following the ratings sucess.

1.8 million.

Jo
    Participant

>*Applauds*

Fankoo!

JamesTC
    Participant

________________________________________________________________________________
    Two million, I think, is far too high. Dwarf is a bit pull, but it?s still on a little digital channel that hasn?t even topped 1 million yet. Something amazing might happen, but I think 1 million is the pie in the sky target for now.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

I agree.

It?ll have a six in it, but it won?t be six thousand.
    It got 2,060,000 didn’t it?

Viewing 49 posts - 1 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.