Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Into the Wild Green Yonder

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Rad
    Participant

1/5. Don’t waste your money on this piece of shit. There’s nothing impossible about making a good film in the 85 minute film that has to be divided into four segments format – the writers just don’t have the drive. Bender’s Big Score – great fun. Beast with a Billion Backs – good with annoying contrived ending. Bender’s Game – pathetic environmental story (They want to drill in Alaska Matt! ALASKA!!! This is sci-fi! At least make it an ice planet Matt! WE WOULD GET THE REAL-WORLD PARALLEL! YOU MUST THINK WE’RE FUCKING IDIOTS!) with a pointless dull hour long fantasy sequence in the middle for no logical reason. Into the Wild Green Yonder – total gibberish filled with idiotic contrivances, plot threads that end suddenly, barely charecterised characters that die for no good reason, unbelievably badly written battle of the sexes with incredibly awful gender psychology… you thought playing Dungeons and Dragons in 3009 was anachronistic well have a look at this! WAGE GAPS! When did this all happen! Listen guys I’m glad you’re all rich and jubilant and I’m SOOOO PLEASED you have time to come up with tedious observations that MEN are so into really huge big screen TVs – JUST DON’T TELL ME ABOUT IT! IT’S PATHETIC!

Funnily enough, for the first twenty minutes its pretty good. Actually episode one is really funny and exciting. It works really well and there’s a moment when you really think a character is in trouble. For a couple of seconds it looks like we might have the beginnings of a plot thread suitable for a movie. SO, LET’S STOP THAT ENTIRE THREAD OF STORY SO AS TO RENDER IT UTTERLY POINTLESS AND IRRELEVANT.

Every character is betrayed either by lack of plot or shitloads of fucking terrible plot. Don’t buy this. Don’t buy this. Don’t buy this. Oh by the way, if you’re a fan – you may have to buy this. CLIFFHANGER ENDING THAT SETS UP NEXT DVD. It’s not very good but you’d probably want to see it. Or better, just look up Wikipedia.

JamesTC
    Participant

Well I liked it.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

But it’s really funny.

si
    Participant

Watched the first half of this last night and loved it, so, sorry Rad, I think you’re in a minority.

Phil
    Participant

>you thought playing Dungeons and Dragons in 3009 was anachronistic

I did? I’d better look up “anachronism” as soon as possible then, so that I don’t make the same mistake in the future.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Not watched it yet, but I honestly can’t imagine it being this terrible.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I’m not really a Futurama fan, so my opinions DON’T COUNT, but :

– I thought the first episode was fantastic.
    – I thought the rest of it wanted for great jokes a little bit.
    – I thought the ending was lovely if a little hurried. It reminded me of the end of Arrested Development.
    – I finally saw Jurassic Bark recently (it was on Sky one day while I was back oop north) and it made me cry.

That is all.

Rad
    Participant

Really? Oh, okay then. We all liked Bender’s Big Score though right?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

No, it was shit.

JamesTC
    Participant

I have enjoyed them all but I did feel the first one was the worst, certainly below average for Futurama. I thought this film hit average for Futurama, if you don’t know the average for Futurama is pretty fantastic. The commentary is also great though Billy West should have been there, shame he wasn’t though I doubt that will be the last Futurama ever.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I have enjoyed them all but I did feel the first one was the worst, certainly below average for Futurama.

I have the exact opposite opinion. I thought Big Score was mind-blowingly incredibly amazing, whereas the other three have all been really good, but not quite brilliant.

James
    Participant

And then Sky 1 split them up and showed them as single episodes! Totally destroyed the point of a Futurefilm.

JamesTC
    Participant

They said on the first DVD that they should make an entire episode of All my Circuits but they didn’t, I was sad.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

And then Sky 1 split them up and showed them as single episodes! Totally destroyed the point of a Futurefilm.

Erm, no. They were designed to be released as a feature-length DVD and then converted into four TV episodes per film. Family Guy did the same thing with The Stewie Griffin Story.

Dave
    Participant

>Don?t waste your money on this piece of shit.

Thank you for the warning. I did not heed it and my life is richer for it.

It doesn’t hang together as a film as well as any of the others (it’s four separate parts are probably more rewarding for it), but more importantly it’s very funny along the way.

The Professor’s take off, the opening song, Bender’s “Read it and weep and then…” etc line are all great.

locusceruleus
    Participant

I enjoyed this one and ‘Beast With a Billion Backs’ the most. I must admit though, I think Futurama definitely works better in an episodic format.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

I quite liked it. The Wong stuff with the mini golf was just great. “put me down for two!”

Andrew
    Participant

Finally saw Bender’s Game last night. It was rubbish.

si
    Participant

Is Bender’s Game the third one? I wasn’t keen on that either.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

One thing about these four films is that they’ve split fan opinion like a bugger. Each individual person loves certain films and hates others, and there seems to be no correlation or pattern as to which ones illicit which reactions. I’m yet to see two people with a matching set of opinions.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I want to have actual sex with BBS and BG. I might let BwaBB touch me up a bit but NO MORE THAN THAT.

Phil
    Participant

Courtesy of Cappsy’s post, you have now seen two people with a matching set of opinions.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> I want to have actual sex with BBS and BG

Bulletin Board Systems and Battlestar Galactica?

peas_and_corn
    Participant

>Finally saw Bender?s Game last night. It was rubbish.

Why don’t you like BG?

Andrew
    Participant

Mostly the rubbishness of the writing.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Bender’s Game is my favourite so far. ITWGY isn’t here yet (hint hint Mr Postman!).

locusceruleus
    Participant

>Mostly the rubbishness of the writing.

This from someone who rates Red Dwarf 8.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

My complaint with the movies is that we haven’t had a single story as good as ‘Jurassic Bark’ or ‘Luck of The Fryrish’. To me, those kind of stories (which Futurama has excelled at) would have been even more amazing given room to breathe in the 90 minute format.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Bender’s Game is probably the best of the three films I’ve seen so far (ITWGY hasn’t reached my place yet) even if a couple of the jokes are stretched out a little too long.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

I absolutely love Futurama, and have all of the movie DVDs too but I just switch off after about half an hour on each of the movies. That doesn’t mean they’re bad, i did like them, it just means that a show like Futurama (in my opinion) doesn’t work in this kind of format. Why couldn’t they have just made a straight to DVD ‘series’ as opposed to making films like this?

Phil
    Participant

Bender’s Big Score > Into the Wild Green Yonder > Bender’s Game > The Beast With a Billion Backs

Why couldn?t they have just made a straight to DVD ?series? as opposed to making films like this?

The way I understand it is that Fox came to the Futurama guys and asked them specifically to make a DVD film. The Futurama crew responded by saying they could make several films instead without it costing too much more, by overlapping production. Fox, obviously, agreed.

So I guess they technically COULD have made another season, straight to DVD, but a few possibilities occur:

a) They wanted to come back, and trying to get Fox to agree to another season rather than a few films would have jeopardized the deal
    b) They wanted to try their hands at film-length stuff anyway
    c) Putting out a full season at the end of production would have meant that Fox saw no profits whatsoever until everything was done, whereas in this case they’d see profits four times along the way.

Just thoughts, though. I liked the films (with one exception), but would have been at least as happy with a season instead.

Dave
    Participant

Bender?s Big Score > The Beast With a Billion Backs > Into the Wild Green Yonder > Bender?s Game > Spaceballs

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Didn’t think much of “Into the Wild Green Yonder”. I thought they could just release 4 episodes on DVD every now and then, and then sell a box to put them in.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Jurassic Bark > Bender’s Game > Beast With A Billion Backs > Bender’s Big Score

Still haven’t seen ItWGY.

Stabbim the Skutter
    Participant

Bender’s Big Score > Bender’s Game & Into the Wild Green Yonder (I’d say I like them both equally) > Beast With A Billion Backs

Phil
    Participant

That Stabbim Skutter fellow is now a good friend of mine.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Okay, new appraisal.

Jurassic Bark > Bender’s Game > Into The Wild Green Yonder > The Beast With A Billion Backs > Bender’s Big Score

Stabbim the Skutter
    Participant

> That Stabbim Skutter fellow is now a good friend of mine.

Yay!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.