Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum OMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGG SOOOOOO EXCCIITTEEDD!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Petetranterssister
    Participant

Dr Who Special WOOP, ITS ON IN AN HOUR:)

JamesTC
    Participant

I’ll wait till it is up for download on IPlayer at about 8:30.

This one looks like it’s going to be a classic, if I’m being honest.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Sorry but……………Doctor Who?

Never gets old that one ! Phnarr!

hummingbird
    Participant

15 minutes !!1!!!

See you in 10 minutes.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>I?ll wait till it is up for download on IPlayer at about 8:30.

Any particular reason?

JamesTC
    Participant

No access to a widescreen TV at the moment, would rather wait and watch a higher quality version on my laptop in widescreen.

JamesTC
    Participant

They put it up fast, though it isn’t in HD, meh, I’m downloading it now.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Blimey. Was a bit underwhelmed for a lot of it (The Doctor shirking the role of protagonist and the water thing being too reminiscent of shadows in SitL) but the last 15 minutes were awesome, rivalling the finale of Utopia.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> but the last 15 minutes were awesome, rivalling the finale of Utopia

I’m not sure it was quite as good as Utopia, but I echo your overall sentiments. I ended up introducing a new viewer via this episode too. I can imagine bits of it can’t have made any sense at all.

TheLeen
    Participant

Liked it. Very nice. And ha ha, no Master in it (and no anagram after all).

JamesTC
    Participant

>Master in it (and no anagram after all).

Hmm, robot Master? Beardy laughing guy?

Well I thought that was the best episode of Who since ‘Human Nature’/’Family of Blood’.
    The Doctor actually being corrupt with power, brilliant.

And then to top it all off we get the so very nice dedication to the legend Barry Letts, a very nice gesture.

JamesTC
    Participant

Well actually he isn’t a robot, he did look like one on first viewing though.

Somebody
    Participant

“THE LAWS OF TIME ARE MINE, AND THEY WILL OBEY ME!”

JamesTC
    Participant

“I AM THE MASTER AND YOU WILL OBEY ME!”

Jonsmad
    Participant

“I AM GADGET THE ROBOT, AND YOU WILL EBAY ME!”

JamesTC
    Participant

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt132/DoctorWoodAdventures/random/DoctorWho_BBCOne_2009_11_15_18_5-5.jpg

Does that look like a Robot endoskeleton? It did at first glance but I’m not so sure, just seems like a simple x-ray.

Somebody
    Participant

My first thought was that the Master was brought back as a Rimmer-style hologram, actually. At least, I think it looks waay too cartoony for a “simple X-ray”.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It could be from one of the “bad dreams”.

JamesTC
    Participant
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

Or maybe that’s muscle tissue.

ChrisM
    Participant

Decent episode! Great at the end. (Just saw it. It takes me a while but I get there in the end.)

The earlier part with his decision to do nothing, but then changing his mind thing was a bit predictable. But the consequences… certainly food for thought.

I’m actually not convinced he did the wrong thing though, although perhaps not for the right reasons, his ego getting the better of him. I.e. I’m sure he was right that the lady could still inspire her granddaughter with her life, right? I get the point though. It’s a chance to take and maybe be his decision to make. The fact it’s not entirely clear cut either way is part of what makes the story great.

Oh and I loved the bit with the rocket booster robot with the key. Hee, hee. And that ghostly shape with the familiar face. What could that mean? ;)

John Hoare
    Participant

I’m not happy that the first 40 minutes were essentially told in the trailer – and I think even if I hadn’t seen that, I’d think it was taking far too long to get to a point that even I would have figured out ages ago. You needed more there. Also, as in The Fires of Pompeii, I’m still unconvinced about the whole “fixed points in time” stuff, which feels less like organic drama, and more like trying to fix the inconsistencies behind the concept of the Doctor changing things in the first place… which I think would be better left ignored, rather than reminding everyone of it. (WHY are certain things fixed, and others not? *Everything* has consequences…)

Last 20 minutes were spectacular, though – and yes, relentlessly grim. (The shot of that trapped woman with the water pouring all over her is truly fucking nasty.) Would have preferred the Doctor not to realise he’s gone mad, but I can’t imagine they would ever have dared to leave it like that, really.

JamesTC
    Participant

The show now has the stability to do something like that, to show the Doctor evil now will just intrest the viewers more, sadly in the 80s the show was nto stable enough to show a less than likable Doctor (well until you get to know him!).

Petetranterssister
    Participant

Ok my thought on the episode were this, it was good, quite enjoyable but nowhere near as good as i expected it to be or as good as some past episodes/specials have been. I thought the whole issue of the Dr struggling with his inner feelings about whether to intervene or not quite interesting and the storyline was fairly good. The things that let it down for me were that i never feel the Dr works particularly well without a sidekick and also the ending was strange.

Where had this strange cocky Dr come from? It would have been understandable if the Dr had been changing into this throughout the recent specials but it was completely out of the blue and i think they have shoved it in there just to fit in with some storyline coming up and because David Tenant is leaving.

HOWEVER how exciting was the xmas trailer! I knew the master would be back!!

Petetranterssister
    Participant

and furthermore i wouldn’t give a crap if my granddaughter never went into space no way would i be spolding my brains out with me own gun!

Petetranterssister
    Participant

and furthermore i wouldn’t give a crap if my granddaughter never went into space no way would i be splodging my brains out with me own gun!

Petetranterssister
    Participant

and furthermore i wouldn’t give a crap if my granddaughter never went into space no way would i be splodging my brains out with me own gun!

Ridley
    Participant

Would have preferred the Doctor not to realise he?s gone mad, but I can?t imagine they would ever have dared to leave it like that, really.

I thought that’s how it was going to end. With the tenth needing to die because he’s become dangerous. Would have been better than an Ood.

and furthermore i wouldn?t give a crap if my granddaughter never went into space no way would i be spolding my brains out with me own gun!

I didn’t even realise she did that. I thought she’d been blipped by the laws of time reasserting itself.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Where had this strange cocky Dr come from?

With the sudden realistation that he no longer gave a crap about the “laws”, brought upon by hearing lots of innocent people dying.

>Also, as in The Fires of Pompeii, I?m still unconvinced about the whole ?fixed points in time? stuff, which feels less like organic drama, and more like trying to fix the inconsistencies behind the concept of the Doctor changing things in the first place? which I think would be better left ignored, rather than reminding everyone of it.

Agreed, it makes bugger-all sense. At least it was kind of questioned by Adelaide when she scoffed at his comment that he’d only saved “unimportant” people in the past. Also, what happened the Reapers?

>and furthermore i wouldn?t give a crap if my granddaughter never went into space no way would i be splodging my brains out with me own gun!

I had no problems with this part of the ending, especially since it was inevitable (even if it jarred slightly that the Doctor would think it would be a good idea to take the survivors to 2059 rather than somewhere else). Essentially, what it’s saying is what’s more important; your life or your legacy.

JamesTC
    Participant

The robot got really wet with the weird water, at the end of the story it was on earth. Hmm, not one drop eh?

ChrisM
    Participant

>The robot got really wet with the weird water, at the end of the story it was on earth. Hmm, not one drop eh?

Yes! I thought of that during the scene, but I forgot about it shortly afterwards.

I thought maybe the fact that the robot was outside in the harsh environment of Mars on the way to the Tardis would render the organism inert. It’s very cold remember, and the ‘water’ needs bodies with weird alien fission to function. Of course, back in the tardis it would heat up… but maybe it was dead then? (It survivied in the glacier though didn’t it? Ho, hum.)

>Where had this strange cocky Dr come from?

Tenants Doctor has always had a cocky streak hasn’t he? He took it to a whole arrogant new level this time though. It made sense to me though. A major theme of new Who (and possibly old, although I haven’t seen enough to say for sure) is that he need his companions to ground himself. Whenver he loses them he goes a way to the dark side. Forgive the clich?.

>and furthermore i wouldn?t give a crap if my granddaughter never went into space no way would i be spolding my brains out with me own gun!

It was a bit extreme but it’s not just about her granddaughter going into space. She is responsible for leading humanity out to the stars. In short, by taking his decision, the Doctor was taking a chance with the future of humanity to satisfy the present. It’s of course quite possible she would go ahead and do that anyway. As the Doctor said “You can inspire her fact to face now.” but I don’t think it’s a chance she was willing to take. And she might have a point since even a member of the most homicidal species in the universe wouldn’t kill her.*

*Incidentally I didn’t know the daleks had that level of understanding concerning the time-lines! Then again they’re time travellers…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

> Incidentally I didn?t know the daleks had that level of understanding concerning the time-lines! Then again they?re time travellers?

See “Remembrance of the Daleks” for reference.

Nick R
    Participant

Petetranterssister:

The things that let it down for me were that i never feel the Dr works particularly well without a sidekick

What did you think of “Midnight”?

Where had this strange cocky Dr come from? It would have been understandable if the Dr had been changing into this throughout the recent specials but it was completely out of the blue and i think they have shoved it in there just to fit in with some storyline coming up and because David Tenant is leaving.

I thought it made sense. His rant about how being Last Of The Time Lords puts him in charge of the laws of time came across as both his way of justifying intervening, and also psyching himself up to think of a way out. (It’s also a nice little example of what I believe TV Tropes refers to as a “Crowning Moment of Awesome” – or at least it would have been if his shouting hadn’t been drowned out by the music!) And then his cockiness afterwards was smugness at the fact that this way of thinking had worked, and glee at the thought that he can now go back and intervene in all sorts of other disasters that he’d previously regarded as “fixed”.

OK, his use of the phrase “little people” wasn’t the most subtle way of getting across the point that a Tenth Doctor with that much power and that reckless could become a very dangerous character, despite his good intentions. But generally, the Doctor’s behaviour in that bit didn’t bother me.

No, it was a different bit of the ending that didn’t add up. Adelaide’s logic for committing suicide was to minimise changes to the future timeline. But no matter what story the two other survivors told, getting from Mars to Earth within a day of the accident (without any trace of the spaceship they used) would prompt some pretty big questions. And having a mother who committed suicide on Earth rather than vanishing on Mars could have some big effects on her daughter’s desire to explore the universe.

All in all, not a very reliable way to ensure that future history stays intact…

Petetranterssister
    Participant

I actually thought Midnight was a weal episode too in my opinion, there just feels like there is something missing when the Dr is alone. He needs a ying to his yang me thinks!.

But no matter how much i diss Midnight and Waters of Mars they were both better than Boom Town that episode sucked majorly!.

I agree with someone elses comment further up though that the Dr does change when he doesn’t have a sidekick around and i suppose when you think back when the Dr was Christopher Eccleston he was quite different then, with a lot of anger at times and no empathy and it was Rose who taught him to have a sympathetic side.
    So maybe he does have an undiscovered dark side and i suppose someone can only travel space and time for so long without going doolally!

Nickr – i thought that too, wouldn’t the world wonder how on earth three people who were on a Mars base suddenly appear back on earth?
    Also i think she was stupid to shoot herself! Obviously if events had of stayed as they should and she had blown herself up on mars her grand daughter would have gone into space, theres an equally good chance she would have done the same if she had done as the doctor said and inspired her face to face, but who wants to take after their loopy granny that duched their own brains out?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I actually thought Midnight was a weal episode too in my opinion, there just feels like there is something missing when the Dr is alone. He needs a ying to his yang me thinks!.

I respect your opinion, but you’re wrong.

But no matter how much i diss Midnight and Waters of Mars they were both better than Boom Town that episode sucked majorly!.

This, too, is wrong.

I agree with someone elses comment further up though that the Dr does change when he doesn?t have a sidekick around and i suppose when you think back when the Dr was Christopher Eccleston he was quite different then, with a lot of anger at times and no empathy and it was Rose who taught him to have a sympathetic side.
    So maybe he does have an undiscovered dark side and i suppose someone can only travel space and time for so long without going doolally!

The First Doctor verged on darkness at times – he effectively kidnaps his first companions, and in his second story he attempts to kill an injured caveman by hitting him on the head with a rock so that they don’t have to bother giving him medical attention. The Fourth Doctor had a dark side, which mostly came out in his sense of humour. So did the Sixth Doctor, who was an arrogant arsehole who willfully tried to kill one of his companions by strangling her. The Seventh Doctor started off clownish but got progressively darker as his tenture went on.

There has always been an element of darkness to the character.

Gwynnie
    Participant

I thought he should have taken Adelaide’s body and put her back on Mars, to keep things as similar as possible, but there we go. He has probably cracked after all those centuries, seeing so many things, all the beauty and all the pain of the universe is too much for one mind… plus all the doctors are essentially *him*, right, so having a new body isn’t going to erase all the inner darkness…

JamesTC
    Participant

‘The Deadly Assasin’ and ‘The Waters of Mars’ are proof enough that the Doctor doesn’t always need a companion in every story, I think it is a nice change now and again to have the Doctor going around alone.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

plus all the doctors are essentially *him*, right, so having a new body isn?t going to erase all the inner darkness?

The actual rules of regeneration are very sketchy and changeable, but there’s been a sense before that it works as a rejuvenation of the mind as well as the body. Hence the slightly mental behaviour of the Fifth, Sixth and Tenth Doctors immediately after regeneration. I guess it’s entirely up to whoever’s in charge at the time as to what exactly the regeneration does – other than Nine > Ten and Jacobi > Simm, I don’t think there’s ever been two regenerations that work the same way.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Yeah, the way I’ve always understood it is the Doctor has a certain amount of overriding personalities that survive from one life to the next (making him the same man) but he has other aspects that sometimes lie dormant, sometimes are a small part of his character and sometimes dominate. For example, The Doctor’s always had moderate physic powers, but they were used more prominently with the Seventh.

So his darkness has always been there but sometimes it crops up more forcefully until it’s tamed by a regeneration.

Everything from ‘Rose’ onwards has been building to that moment in WoM where he finally snapped. OK it sort of happened in ‘The Runaway Bride’ as well but Donna was there to bring him back down

Now we’ve got a Doctor where ‘coward, every time’ doesn’t apply. The 9th Doctor was in a dark place but Ten has gone beyond that, out of anger, frustration, panic, sheer desperation. The cocky exterior has always been a mask.

JamesTC
    Participant

Whta I’m curious about what Ten meant by “Is this it, it this my death”, is he talking about a straight death or a regeneration because it seems like he believes he will DIE by which I mean no regeneration.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

It’s easy to take it as outright death, but I think there’s a strong sense that the Doctor simply doesn’t want to stop being this incarnation – think of the fact that he, for the first time, wilfully stopped himself from fully regenerating when it would have been easier simply to do so.

(incidentally, in recalling that scene, can I say how much I like Jack’s reaction to the “fake” regeneration? “You know what comes next… good luck, Doctor!” I just think it’s a lovely moment, is all.)

So at the moment, in his current state of mind, not being Ten any more almost seems like a fate as bad as, if not worse than, death. I think it’s pretty clever writing by RTD, actually – it’s a bit self-referential, in that he’s acknowledging the fact that Tennant has such a tenuous grip on the role in both fan- and general-public-consciousness…

JamesTC
    Participant

>for the first time, wilfully stopped himself from fully regenerating when it would have been easier simply to do so.

‘Caves of Androzani’. He is about to regenerate on that ship, we see his eventual regeneration effect but he stops it with enough time to save Peri and then he regenerates.

Gwynnie
    Participant

I suppose if we assume the existence of a soul, or just consciousness, then that it was lasts over regenerations. Certain personality traits can be the cause of physical brain activity, yada yada ;)… why was one of the Ood there?

JamesTC
    Participant

>why was one of the Ood there?

I took it to be sort of a message sent by Ood Sigma through time to tell him it is the end, he was the guy who told him his song would end.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Ood Sigma is The Rani.

JamesTC
    Participant

Rose is the Rani. It’s in the name, they are practically 25% similar.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Rani out of TSJA is the Rani.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.