Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Philip K Dick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tombow

I started reading PKD’s books a few days ago, I’d always meant to read them, but something reminded of him and I thought I’d dive in. Pretty surprised at how Dwarf-ish they are really. Right down to things like sarcastic talking home appliances. (I’ve only read Flow my Tears and Ubik so far).

I put off reading them for years because I had seen so many of the film adaptions and I imagined them as being dryer, more philosophical versions of the various film themes. But most of them are actually pretty fast and funny. They just seem like groovy, stoner/hippy-ish hard-boiled mysteries with fast plots and early cyberpunk themes. They definitely remind me of the Dwarf novels in style. (they’re also way sexist by today’s standards I have to admit)

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep is a complete rip-off of Back To Earth.

Dave

I don’t like all Dick (stop it) but I do love A Scanner Darkly, so I’d recommend getting to that.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Phew, saw the title and was worried he’d died.

I really enjoyed Ubik, and Valis sort of bent my younger mind out of shape for a bit. I think there’s a paranoia in common with Dwarf, that everything that can will go wrong. Better Than Life is very Dickish (no).

Dollar Pound

we can build you has an abe lincoln droid

Dave

Phew, saw the title and was worried he’d died.

He passed away peacefully in his electric sheep. Sorry, sleep.

tombow

One thing I forgot to say was they remind me of the films RoboCop and Running Man in how they parody adverts etc (I know they aren’t pkd adaptions but they feel similar). Still waiting to see the scanner darkly film

Dave

The Scanner Darkly film is pretty good, yeah.

quinn_drummer
    Participant

One thing I forgot to say was they remind me of the films RoboCop and Running Man in how they parody adverts etc (I know they aren’t pkd adaptions but they feel similar). Still waiting to see the scanner darkly film

I recommend this post for Hall of Fame!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.