Pre-Production Art

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Pre-Production Art

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Plastic Percy 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Baz

Been a while since I was last here, but just saw something interesting…

Was at Conway Hall in the Holborn area of London on my way home. There was a guy hanging art up on the wall, science fiction sketches, clearly pre production artwork of some kind.

I asked him about it and he said it was for the Red Dwarf Movie that never got made! Asked for his name and he told me it was “Henry”, that’s all. There were two pieces I saw, one with scenes of a corridor (very Alien Nostromo-style), the other with some sort of four-armed combat robot.

Didn’t expect to see that today. See if you can take a look if you’re in the area.

Paul Muller

That was most likely Henry Jaworski. His website has a few pics of his concept art for the RD movie here:

https://www.henryjaworski.com/red-dwarf

Gazpacho Soup picked up on some other pre-production art by Dom Lavery a couple of years back, which features similar subjects but appears to have been done at an earlier stage in production:

http://gazpacho-soup.com/2015/10/02/red-dwarf-the-movie-concept-art-discovered-at-boot-fair/

I know I keep banging on about it, but they should put this stuff in a book, or at least an extremely in-depth article/DVD extra – it’s fascinating.

Dax101

We can probably guess Doug isn’t totally done with the Movie idea yet

bloodteller

>I know I keep banging on about it, but they should put this stuff in a book, or at least an extremely in-depth article/DVD extra – it’s fascinating.

i agree.

Baz

It was Henry Jarworski, the first, second and fourth pieces on his website were the ones I saw going up.

Kris Carter

If anyone’s interested, I did a bit of a write up and speculation-y bit about the movie here:

https://kriscarter.wordpress.com/2016/10/07/red-dwarf-the-movie-that-wasnt/

Spare Hand One

Why do you suppose these works were going up in Conway Hall? Are they part of an art show of some kind or are they just part of the lobby furniture or something (and if so, I wonder why)?

cwickham

I wonder if Hollister and Holly’s appearances in “Skipper” were in any way derived from the movie script…

bloodteller

i highly doubt it since the movie was meant to be a full-on reboot of the series, “beginning before the series started, and then goes off in a direction that the series didn’t go off on. So it’s set up and then has it’s own story, complete in itself, whilst still being able to assemble the cast that we know and love.” so presumably it would’ve actually started with the crew and holly already being alive and such.

i think there’s movie storyboards of lister arriving on the ship and then it leaving some kind of space station orbiting earth, so it seems more likely it would’ve adapted parts of the first red dwarf novel.

bloodteller

oh but apparently the scene in Lemons where rimmer holds Jesus’s cock is derived from a draft of the movie script where he does that to captain hollister

Plastic Percy

I remember the movie storyboards the official site put up were largely incomprehensible aside from what was a ripoff/homage to the Enterprise leaving spacedock in the first Star Trek film.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.