Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Russell Two Davies

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Nick R
    Participant

Apparently, today there was some news about a change to Doctor Who’s production staff, in some obscure behind-the-scenes role. I don’t know if anyone else heard about it?

Warbodog
    Participant

The last series is still on my can’t-really-be-bothered-to-get-around-to list. Maybe when my daughter’s old enough I’ll get back into it.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Wonderful news! I’m hugely surprised, but pleasantly so! I’m hoping that RTD, if he doesn’t expel all of the Timeless Child bullshit (oh if only he would!), at least finds a way to make it work. But, more than ever, he’ll get to the heart(s) of what makes the show work. The BBC can spin it any way they want, but Chibnall and Whittaker (yes, I count her too) have been a failure and run the show into the ground. I’m confident that RTD will steer the ship to sunnier horizons, but it’ll take a little longer for me to ever accept Chibnall’s era as canon, tbh.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Getting the big guns in to sort shit out. It’s been going down various gradients of hills ever since he left.

Hope.

I suspect he’ll ignore the Timeless Child and just focus on writing stories for whoever his Doctor(s) is/are.

I think the best we can hope for is everyone just largely ignore that bit of cannon and sort of pretends it doesn’t exist.  It doesn’t need to be referenced for the show to move forward.  It can be something the Doctor discovered and then moved on from.

Excited to see RTD back. Though it clearly highlights the BBC views Chibnall as something of a failure and needs someone who can put the show back on track.  I wasn’t planning on watching the next series.  I didn’t watch the last special.  But I’ll certainly tune in for anything RTD does.

Its a shame a new writer couldn’t fill the space and try their hand at it.  But I was discussing with a friend who the BBC could even entrust one of their biggest properties too.  RTD/Moffat/Chibnall – they’re 3 fo the biggest names in British TV that understand Doctor Who well enough.  The only other person we could possibly come up with was Gaiman, but maybe not the best choice as a show runner?

Anyway, Allons-y!!

Dave
    Participant

Getting the big guns in to sort shit out. It’s been going down various gradients of hills ever since he left.

I thought the Moffat era was as good as the RTD era, just in a different way. But yes, getting RTD back in after Chibnall does carry an unmistakable whiff of “we done fucked up”.

Dave
    Participant

I was discussing with a friend who the BBC could even entrust one of their biggest properties too.

RTD/Moffat/Chibnall – they’re 3 fo the biggest names in British TV that understand Doctor Who well enough.  The only other person we could possibly come up with was Gaiman, but maybe not the best choice as a show runner?

I thought Gatiss was a shoe-in at one point, but it maybe feels like that moment has passed.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

The Moffat era was wonderful, and in my mind consistently better than the RTD era when you look at how high the high points were and low the lows were. But they both had very very different jobs as showrunners and I thought they both made excellent Who.

There is no one better to run the show right now than RTD. I’m very, very happy.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

It’s just possible that we could have something as powerful, entertaining, thought-provoking and emotionally thrilling as ‘The Waters of Mars’ again.

Characters that you can root for!

Stories that emotionally connect!

Unforced, genuine humour and a sheer sense of JOY.

Hope, indeed. :-)

And, who knows? Maybe the Whittaker era is going to be my modern day McCoy era; a tenure of the show that is shied away from for years but then gets a reassessment with the benefit of time and hindsight…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

It’s just possible that we could have something as powerful, entertaining, thought-provoking and emotionally thrilling as ‘The Waters of Mars’ again.

Thinking of that made me remember Planet of the Dead, and so long as he keeps that gobshite away from his series then I’m sure we’ll be just fine.

I do suspect that this era of RTD Who is going to be a completely different beast that his first. It kind of has to be.

Ridley
    Participant

I would have groaned at this if it was immediately post-Moffat but I only noticed how detatched I’d gotten from the Two Trumps Chibnall era when I started looking forward to the show again as soon as his departure was announced.

si
    Participant

I just wish Jodie could have seen a great script before her exit.

Well, not just, obviously. But it’s a shame Rusty’s not coming in while she’s still around.

Here’s to hoping she gets a multi-doctor story to join in on that RTD has a hand in somewhere down the line.

Speaking of which, RTD comes on-board in 2023 for the 60th and then a series follows.

But Jodie leaves end of the next series next year.

So the 60th would have to server as an introduction episode.  Unless he is able to do an anniversary episode using not the new Doctor in some way which seems implausible.  Just means the 60th would be less of a celebration of history and more a “look at a fresh version of the show” thing.

Jenuall
    Participant

It will be an improvement no doubt, but I’m a little wary of this being a step backward. Safe hands yes, and possibly what is needed, but I can’t help but be a little worried that they aren’t trying to push forward and find someone with a genuinely strong new voice for the show. Hopefully he can come in to steady the ship before handing it off again. Just get a decent set of writers together, put a solid concept together for a run and entertain us all – something that has been sadly lacking in the stumbling Chibnall era.

I echo the disappointment that Whitaker has never had a chance to shine with a decent set of scripts, I think her portrayal could have been something quite special with the right stories and direction. You never know, perhaps they’ll pull it together for her final go…

I liked but didn’t love the RTD era, too tonally chaotic and with a tendancy to go up its own arse importance-wise (looking at you “Time Lord Victorious” bollocks). Some bloody good stories in there though, and he got a lot more out of the other writers than we seem to be seeing these days

Dave
    Participant

Speaking of which, RTD comes on-board in 2023 for the 60th and then a series follows.

But Jodie leaves end of the next series next year.

So the 60th would have to server as an introduction episode.  Unless he is able to do an anniversary episode using not the new Doctor in some way which seems implausible.  Just means the 60th would be less of a celebration of history and more a “look at a fresh version of the show” thing.

I wondered this myself. An anniversary special is a lot to put on the shoulders of a brand new Doctor.

Maybe they could end Whittaker’s tenure without revealing her next regeneration and have the 60th somehow lead into the new Doctor? Feels like it could be a better way to lead into and kick off a new era.

Dave
    Participant

I liked but didn’t love the RTD era, too tonally chaotic and with a tendancy to go up its own arse importance-wise (looking at you “Time Lord Victorious” bollocks). Some bloody good stories in there though, and he got a lot more out of the other writers than we seem to be seeing these days

Yeah, I appreciate the RTD era more than I love RTD’s stories specifically – more for the way he was able to bring together so many decent other writers, offer a variety of flavours of story, and bring a light touch to the season-arc aspect (as well as successfully relaunch the entire show, obviously) – and I think it probably makes him a slightly better showrunner than Moffat (who I think is the better writer, but who didn’t integrate all that wider stuff quite so elegantly).

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I wondered this myself. An anniversary special is a lot to put on the shoulders of a brand new Doctor.

Maybe they could end Whittaker’s tenure without revealing her next regeneration and have the 60th somehow lead into the new Doctor? Feels like it could be a better way to lead into and kick off a new era.

If there’s no new Doctor established by then, then it is 100% a multi-Doctor extravaganza with absolutely every single actor they can get.

Ending with a regeneration.

Dave
    Participant

Which, let’s be honest, would be fantastic.

I think it’s a tall order to outdo the 50th special (which only seems to get better each time I watch it) but if anyone knows how to give the show bombast and excitement and also heart and emotional resonance, it’s RTD. An anniversary special from him is a delicious prospect.

Ridley
    Participant

I mean, you could do a multi-Doctor story with no previous actors at this point. Or Moffat’s one-shot huge stunt casting idea.

I only like about a third of the RTD era, but I’m absolutely behind this because it’ll hopefully bring lapsed fans back and revert the show to big family friendly event television again, which is probably the only way to save it from going on another hiatus. It is a fairly big acknowledgement that the show needed saving, and my real wonder is whether it was the BBC desperately clutching at straws or whether Russell made the decision to step in himself because he recognised that he could save it.

I’m sure it’ll be quite different to his original run, anyway, as he’s a versatile writer. My only real hope is that he’ll be a bit more restrained. For me, possibly the biggest improvement Moffat made was toning things down a bit so that even a universe-ending finale was just the Doctor, three companions and a rusty Dalek. More of that and less Journey’s End, please.

In terms of it being backwards-looking, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s there to fill a gap while the BBC look for someone totally new and fresh to give a new perspective on the show. It’s clear there’s nobody within the current or past teams who’s interested in taking over, so moving forward it’ll have to be someone completely new. Having Russell there to fill that gap rather than letting it go on hiatus and potentially never come back feels like a good idea for all involved.

Warbodog
    Participant

For me, possibly the biggest improvement Moffat made was toning things down a bit so that even a universe-ending finale was just the Doctor, three companions and a rusty Dalek. More of that and less Journey’s End, please.

They both skew too extreme for me. Pandorica Opens / Big Bang is my comfort zone, taking the piss out of the convention while still having all the surface level excitement.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It’s great news. Doctor Who desperately needs to be accessible, fun and populist again, which I don’t think it has been since the early days of Matt Smith (barring the 50th Special, which still strikes me as some kind of miracle in being fanwank, hugely entertaining and appealing to anyone)  While I dislike a decent portion of the RTD Doctor Who scripted episodes, he could showrun the fuck out of it.

If he could get Moffat to contribute a couple to episodes with the explicit request that they be entirely standalone stories, it would be amazing.

Dave
    Participant

If he could get Moffat to contribute a couple to episodes with the explicit request that they be entirely standalone stories, it would be amazing.

Definitely. It would be great to get another Blink or Heaven Sent again.

Yeah, a fair bit of Moffat’s run was great for nerdy fans, but it’s not surprising the show began to lose viewers around the time he started doing things like opening a series with a two-part Davros origin story. His first two seasons struck the perfect balance, I think.

si
    Participant

Have the 60th consist of River Song skipping along her own incomprehensible timeline, trying to work out which Doctor we’re supposed to be on now.

Ridley
    Participant

It’s Tennant again.

Have the 60th consist of River Song skipping along her own incomprehensible timeline, trying to work out which Doctor we’re supposed to be on now.

That’s just daft enough to work. And could have her end on a Doctor significantly in the future so RTD can do his own soft re-setting again, break ties a bit with the last few years and leave a period of unexplored history to play around with.

It’s Tennant again.

Or he could set it entirely in Pete’s world with Meta Doctor and Rose.

Dave
    Participant

This kind of reminds me of that point at which Moffat was planning the 50th special and Matt Smith wasn’t yet on contract for it, and Tennant hadn’t yet signed on either. So he was facing the possibility of having to write an anniversary special that didn’t actually feature the Doctor.

si
    Participant

Also, have River bring her mother along for the ride.

This kind of reminds me of that point at which Moffat was planning the 50th special and Matt Smith wasn’t yet on contract for it, and Tennant hadn’t yet signed on either. So he was facing the possibility of having to write an anniversary special that didn’t actually feature the Doctor.

If the accounts are accurate, which there is no reason to think they’re not, it is crazy how close he came to the scenario and how many different versions of the 50th he had in case he only had Clara and such.

Ultimately all worked out in the end and I think we got the best possible version (and yes I include not having Chris but getting John instead) of a 50th Anniversary special.

It’s one of the few episodes I’m happy watching semi-repeatedly outside of a full series rewatch as it’s such a joy.

An Amy rescued from New York as River is capable of actually doing that where the Doctor just live, gives up on the possibility of going back in time and saving her and Rory.

si
    Participant

An Amy rescued from New York as River is capable of actually doing that where the Doctor just live, gives up on the possibility of going back in time and saving her and Rory.

BUT KAREN GILLAN

Warbodog
    Participant

Also, have River bring her mother along for the ride. An Amy rescued from New York as River is capable of actually doing that where the Doctor just live, gives up on the possibility of going back in time and saving her and Rory.

I know the build-up to that departure has stupid logic, but in the end he didn’t need to save them from their happy destiny. They had to let each other go at some point or it might have ended badly, it continued to be a theme.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.