Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf is Back on Netflix Streaming, but…

Viewing 21 posts - 101 through 121 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Hamish
    Participant

I still don’t get all of the hate for Beyond a Joke myself. The last half of VII is far better than the first four episodes, even with Rimmer gone for most of them.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Pretty much what KyoSo said.

And pretty much the exact opposite of what Hamish said.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

One thing I noticed in Blue is that there is absolutely no peril whatsoever, hardly anything actually happens. Lister feels a bit sad and Kryten builds a rollercoaster. In my notes/review I wrote that after the constant excitement of VI this feels a bit boring, but if the episode was in Series III the progression might feel more natural (with the heaviest rewrites imaginable)

Dave
    Participant

With the heaviest rewrites imaginable, it could become an episode of Fawlty Towers.

That might be what I like about it. I do enjoy the quieter, character-based rambling episodes. Peril isn’t always important.

flanl3
    Participant

Timewave: The boys consider letting themselves and a whole shipful of people die just because they are annoyed by a gay man.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

“Blue” is probably the most I-feeling VII episode. I kind of like that about the episode, honestly. I just wish more of the jokes landed.

Hamish
    Participant

> And pretty much the exact opposite of what Hamish said.

I still stand by it. Blue, Beyond a Joke, Epideme and Nanarchy all benefit by and large by being consistent and having decent production. Tikka, Stoke, and Ouroboros are all over the place.

And Duct Soup is Duct Soup.

Moonlight
    Participant

I feel like I really like Epideme, but at the same time I have this distinct fear that if I watch it again I will just be bored and unimpressed by it. Considering I went through a phase in my early teens where VII was my favorite series (and I think I considered Ouroborus my favorite episode briefly), you have to realize it had a lot further fall as I matured than it did for most of you.

I was impressed by VII’s more filmic directing and (OCCASIONALLY) tone, _especially_ the 24/25 fps picture. I grew up associating 29.97 fps video-look with cheap BBC sitcoms and other extremely low-budget affair, so the 24/25 fps instantly made child me think “movie”. It tricked me into thinking I was seeing something much bigger and more dramatic than I was, and I was happy to fall into the fantasy.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

I just watched Epideme and Nanarchy there and hey, what do you know, they were pretty good.

Epideme would be brilliant if it wasn’t for that fucking talking virus. Holy shit I hate whoever did the voice for that with a passion, and whoever heard that voice and thought “yes that’s good that’s the voice we’re looking for”. It reminds me of the DJ in Revelation of the Daleks, who also ruins that story.
    Nanarchy starts well but falls off towards the end.

When I was younger I liked the film look of VII, but now I realise that half the time it’s so fucking DARK it doesn’t matter what framerate it’s shot at because you can’t see anything.

Duct Soup is utter cack, but I’ll always love Tikka and Stoke.

I tried to rank them in order but it’s too hard. Basically it goes Tikka>>>>>>>>>>>>Duct Soup

bloodteller
    Participant

>Timewave: The boys consider letting themselves and a whole shipful of people die just because they are annoyed by a gay man.

CURED- Rimmer considers letting a man die horribly in an asteroid storm just because he’s (pretending to be) disabled.

SILICONIA- Kryten allows his friends to be mindfucked and then forced into slavery just because he is annoyed with them over various petty reasons.

flanl3
    Participant

Mechocracy: All the machines on board Red Dwarf get annoyed, except all the ones we already knew existed.

Rubber
    Participant

M-CORP: Lister is partially blinded by white supremacists but learns to love their cause.

Hamish
    Participant

>Epideme would be brilliant if it wasn’t for that fucking talking virus. Holy shit I hate whoever did the voice for that with a passion, and whoever heard that voice and thought “yes that’s good that’s the voice we’re looking for”.

Hey, I actually LIKE Gary Martin in Epideme.

I guess it is just my mission in life to piss you off, right Ben?

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

Hey, I like the shit bits!

flanl3
    Participant

Skipper – Rimmer gets annoyed at Lister for fucking a rat.

bloodteller
    Participant

CAN OF WORMS: cat accidentally gets pregnant, so lister murders his babies

bloodteller
    Participant

oh yeah and everyone is uncharacteristcally annoyed at cat for being impregnated

Ben Saunders
    Participant

>I guess it is just my mission in life to piss you off, right Ben?
    Grr.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Saunders had been pissed off for almost two weeks now and, so far, he hadn’t enjoyed a minute of it.

flanl3
    Participant

Give & Take: After much debating, Cat finally gets tricked into filling Lister’s hole, before it’s discovered that Cat’s incapable of such and Lister will have to fill it himself.

“Lister offers Cat his hole, and when Cat is unable to fulfill his desires, he sets out to do it himself” is perhaps a bit more to the point.

Viewing 21 posts - 101 through 121 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.