Red Dwarf is Back on Netflix Streaming, but…

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf is Back on Netflix Streaming, but…

This topic contains 120 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  flanl3 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 121 posts - 1 through 121 (of 121 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Katydid

…what the hell is this? I mean, I was excited that they didn’t have the Remastered I-III, but I hope someone tells them they accidentally replaced Epideme with the long-lost necrophilia episode.

Jonsmad

Later the SS Herpes is infected with a chalmydionic microbe.

Katydid

I’m really curious now as to what they say about “Blue”, but I’m too scared to check.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Later the SS Herpes is infected with a chalmydionic microbe.

Hall of fame.

Seb Patrick

That is pretty much what happens, though, no?

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

It wasn’t sexually transmitted, though.

John Hoare

G&T Admin

KISSING IS THE SAME AS SEX

IT MAKES ME DO A NAUGHTY

Sam Johnson

The synopsis for Krytie TV is also quite… er… questionable:

“After being cornered and reprogrammed by restless, sex-starved prisoners, Kryten launches his own television station called Krytie TV.”

Is “reprogramming” a euphemism for something else?

si

No one’s even thought about reprogramming me for nearly 15 years now. :/

ori-STUDFARM

Good job you have the ability for self programming. You’d ‘splode otherwise!

Jonsmad

Unpack Rachel and get out the reprogramming kit.

anniescribe

The description for Blue is adorable. Mama approves …

Reece

The description for Blue is adorable. Mama approves …

“Lister is feeling lonely, Rimmer rejoins the crew to give him a sympathy-fuck.”

anniescribe

Hey, by his own assessment, Lister’s pretty good at it. At least as good as his pool playing. ;-)

Renegade Rob

I wonder what it’ll say about Dear Dave. Something along the lines of “Lister exchanges fluids with a coffee and tea vending machine.”

anniescribe

Lemons: “The Boys from the Dwarf accidentally end up back in time; Rimmer gets freaky with the savior of mankind … or does he?”

Pete Part Three

Entangled: “28 minutes of stuff”.

anniescribe

Trojan: “Not at all what you envision when you think of Trojan and Rimmers. Also, some moosing about aboard the Dwarf.”

mick

>No one’s even thought about reprogramming me for nearly 15 years now. :/

The last time I did that it took a week to dry the mattress.

Connell

Back In The Red Part 3: “No, that’s not a typo – they actually made a third part.”

Ben Paddon

Backwards: “After starting a fight in a pub, Kryten and Rimmer are hired as entertainers in a pub. Lister and the Cat drink lager.”

Ben Kirkham

Pete Part 2: A weak plot device creates a dinosaur and the crew decide to feed it a cow and it shits everywhere.

… or am I confusing that with a Shakespeare play?

Ben Paddon

Blue: Lister’s wet dream about Rimmer leads the crew to a disaster in the ARG Unit.

SoundableObject

Duct Soup: Lister needs a wee.

Connell

‘Backwards: .sdrawkcab sklat dna sklaw enoyreve ylsuht ,esrever ni sevom emiT .htraE fo noisrev sdrawkcab a si hcihw ,ytilaer etanretla na otni dna eloh emit a hguorht ylf werc ehT’

Alex

Future Echoes: After Rimmer watches him explode, Lister tries to stop The Cat from getting a fishy mouthful.

ori-STUDFARM

D.N.A.- Kryten the mechanoid becomes human, plays with his own nipples and then experiences his first erection. He doesn’t like it and so goes back to being a mechanoid again.

Connell

Only The Good: Troubles ahed for the gang as the show faces cancellation. Can the writers pull of a quirky yet thrilling series finale to save the show from the scrapheap?

No.

si

Emohawk – Polymorph II: The crew encounter a domesticated Polymorph as a halfway plausible excuse to bring back Duane Dibbley and Ace Rimmer.

Ben Paddon

Parallel Universe: Lister masturbates, with dire consequences.

SoundableObject

Krytie TV: Lister masturbates, with dire consequences.

MANI506

Back In The Red Part 2: Rimmer becomes the ship’s bike after downing the sexual magnetism virus.

MANI506

Pete Part 1: Erections.

SoundableObject

Krytie TV: Erections.

MANI506

Pete Part 2: A disembodied erection right up the Cat’s arse.

genericnerdyusername

I was going to make a comment on Pete Part Three, but I don’t I’m good enough friends with him to call him a knob without actual offence being taken. So I won’t.

anniescribe

Out of Time: Rocks fall, everybody dies. Or reboots, whatever.

Pete Part Three

>I was going to make a comment on Pete Part Three, but I don’t I’m good enough friends with him to call him a knob without actual offence being taken. So I won’t.

It’s OK, I am a knob.

Seb Patrick

Backwards: The crew land on a planet that seems similar to Earth in the year 1989. The Cat does a shit in some grass. They pay a taxi driver in advance to take them to a pub. They start an unprovoked fight with the patrons of said pub, then in retaliation eat a man’s pie. As punishment for the fight, Arthur Smith angrily gives Rimmer and Kryten a job. Lister and the Cat each drink a pint of bitter and then leave, in order get a lift to a local park. From there, they find a bicycle lying on the ground and generously return it to its picnicking owners, before leaving the planet in Starbug. Meanwhile, Kryten and Rimmer decide to quit their new job, and head to a cafe to watch a woman eat a snack before going for a swim in the same local park. While at the bottom of the lake they find the other Starbug and fly it back to Red Dwarf.

MANI506

Arthur Smith could have said ‘after tonight’s gig, you’re out’? I don’t think I can explain away much else but this tiny detail works for me.

HelloMabel

Marooned: Lister and Rimmer wait for Lister to die. They can’t hide how happy they are.

Blue: Lister and Rimmer kiss. They can’t hide how happy they aren’t.

Pecospete666

“It’s OK, I am a knob”

I agree!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Ben Paddon

Thanks For the Memory: Lister does a jigsaw so mundane he immediately forgets doing it.

ori-STUDFARM

Back In The Red Part 2- Picking up where part 1 left off, the Red Dwarf crew stumble along and stretch out a story to the point where part 3 will take up the inaction.

Blisschick

Not sure if it’s our player or Netflix, but the hubby started watching the series again, and for some reason the show looks as if it’s on film, rather than shot in video. It looks that way (so far) in the first two series. I hate the look. I’ll stick to my DVD’s, thanks.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

Thanks For the Memory: Lister does a jigsaw so mundane he immediately forgets doing it

I want that fucking jigsaw…

Jonsmad

Bliss chick. Is it The remastered series then? cus that was film effect.

Blisschick

I’m not sure…it was some version different from the DVD’s. Ben could probably tell you. I do know it had a video effect, though.

si

Thanks For the Memory: Lister does a jigsaw so mundane he immediately forgets doing it

I want that fucking jigsaw…

If that’s not crying out to be Official Anniversary Merch, I don’t know what is.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

It could be the PAL to NTSC conversion…

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Something along those lines. It’s definitely the original series, but a really lossy compression/conversion has taken place at some point and changed the bastard frame rate.

anniescribe

“Blue: Lister and Rimmer kiss. They can’t hide how happy they aren’t.”

Mabel, much as I like this pairing, I think you nailed it. LOLOL

Blisschick

>>Something along those lines. It’s definitely the original series, but a really lossy compression/conversion has taken place at some point and changed the bastard frame rate.

Whatever the technical reason is that is totally over my head, it sucks.

Ben Paddon

That’s BBC Worldwide for you. It took them years to fix Doctor Who, and they’re still missing “Planet of the Dead” and “A Christmas Carol”. Plus Hyperdrive is currently in 4:3 (it was in 16:9 when it was on the service two years ago) and the encode for The Office is terrible.

I actually know one or two people at the executive level at BBC Worldwide. And, uh, yeah. They’re a bit shit.

flanl3

So what if it’s a dead thread? I was too proud of thinking of this.

Give & Take: After much debating, Cat finally gets tricked into filling Lister’s hole, before it’s discovered that Cat’s incapable of such and Lister will have to fill it himself.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Oh, so *this* is where I got the idea for “in brief” synopses for The Complete Guide. I’d forgotten about this thread.

Katydid

Hooray, I indirectly contributed to G&T.

McAleeCh

Oh, so *this* is where I got the idea for “in brief” synopses for The Complete Guide. I’d forgotten about this thread.

Please tell me you guys will be updating the guide once you’ve had the chance to go through the XI Blu-ray/DVD – I’m looking forward to seeing the ridiculous mini-synopses for the latest batch of episodes. XD

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

There’s a plan. I planned it.

flanl3

Okay, but what will you do once your plan gets a little messed up after you get three mill years out into space after one of your buddies couldn’t properly repair the site in time and it blows up on everyone?

Hamish

Just spotted this beauty from Edmonton Public Library:
    “An unambitious slob has been awakened from a 3 million year sleep to find out he may be the last human alive. Hopelessly lost in space, this crew of mutant bachelors kill time and share adventures aboard the mining ship Red Dwarf.”
    https://epl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/1865690005_red_dwarf_xi

…Mutant Bachelors?

Darrell

You remember them, they toured with the Abnormal Platters, the Deformed Tremeloes and Freddie And The Fucked-Up Dreamers.

By Jove its holmes

Well, we know from Timeslides that Rimmer evidently has a thing for underage teenage “temptresses” so is Lister/Caroline Carmen necro really implausible ;)

Katydid

Meanwhile in 2016, Red Dwarf is not available for streaming in the US period.

And some of my discs are lost.

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

And some of my discs are lost.

You monster!

Ben Paddon

The good news is that Red Dwarf is surprisingly affordable on DVD in the US – the individual series sets range from $6 to $22, or the complete I-VIII set is $60.

flanl3

I think I bought my complete set for around $67, and the only problem I encountered was that I had to reassemble the box (it had come apart a little).

flanl3

Well, not the Dave series, clearly, but the fact that I spent almost as much on those three as I did on the first eight isn’t really much of a surprise.

Katydid

The good news is that Red Dwarf is surprisingly affordable on DVD in the US

I’m missing the episodes for I and V.

Jonsmad

Twentica “Lister clamps Kryten’s Nipples to get him going before the discussion of a Big Bang”

By Jove its holmes

I always thought that Lister could sing the 1997 Candle in the Wind about Rimmer: “You called out to our country, now you belong to Heaven – Shut up, Lister!”

flanl3

Officer Rimmer: “Rimmer nuts everywhere in a dream then in his pants in real life.”

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

we know from Timeslides that Rimmer evidently has a thing for underage teenage “temptresses”

Wait, what?

By Jove its holmes

RIMMER: “…if one of us had a photograph of a female-only naturist beach in Acapulco, full of bronzed, naked, uninhibited teenage temptresses, we could go there for a holiday?”

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Yeah, that extra word in the original post is quite key.

Pete Part Three

Is it OK if I burn Lolita?

Dave

You know that thing when an ‘r’ and an ‘n’ right next to each other can look like an ‘m’?

Katydid

“Cat finds a lady cat. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s not even close.”

By Jove its holmes

Ian: But most people don’t refer to 18 and 19 year olds as “teenagers”, they call them “young adults”. That’s what gave me pause and wonder.

flanl3

Is it OK if I burn Lolita?

You know that thing when an ‘r’ and an ‘n’ right next to each other can look like an ‘m’?

Eleven and sixty-seven hundredths out of ten on that comment there.

si

most people don’t refer to 18 and 19 year olds as “teenagers”

I refer to 18 and 19 year olds as “far too young”.
    Mind you, i refer to twenty-somethings in the same way.

And some thirty-somethings.

si

I don’t want to suggest how they refer to me.

By Jove its holmes

Still makes you wonder how old Rimmer was when he photographed the girls at the nudist beach and why they didnt call the cops on him as a dirty pervert.

International Debris

I just assumed it was a photograph he had acquired, rather than one he’d taken himself.

flanl3

Except it would need to be developed.

Hamish

Just like with Hitler in Fascist Dictator Monthly?

International Debris

If we’re getting into ‘how do they redevelop photos from prints?’ territory we might as well do a scene-by-scene ‘hold on this doesn’t make sense’ thread.

flanl3

we might as well do a scene-by-scene ‘hold on this doesn’t make sense’ thread.

Might as well indeed.

Darrell

You can turn photos back into negatives. It used to be a thing you could get done.

peas_and_corn

So does that make a photo a positive?

Jonsmad

Cured: Lister finally receives treatment, for the ancient necrophilia incidental STD.

Hamish

Another winner from Edmonton Public Library:

“The Emmy-winning comedy returns for more hilarious intergalactic adventures, with the original cast on board. Viewers see the gang stranded in a scientific research center, contending with out of control, and Rimmer decides to leave Red Dwarf in search of a dimension where he isn’t such a giant loser.”

https://epl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/2017535005

Ben Saunders

Contending with out of control what?

Katydid

Series XII was shit. The show’s had the crew contend with out of control before, and I can’t imagine why they thought it could ever live up to the same heights. 8/10.

Flap Jack

Beyond A Joke: “The Dwarfers spend some time in virtual reality, and… uh… something happens with other Krytens? I don’t know, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it. I think there’s like a green, dumber Kryten in it?”

Ben Saunders

I just watched Beyond A Joke, there. I thought it was really good. Maybe it’s just the relief of it not being terrible after the slog of Ouroboros, Duct Soup and Blue, but I found myself really enjoying it.

International Debris

Beyond a Joke better than Blue?!

Ben Saunders

Yeah. Blue has good moments but it’s boring for the most part. Nothing much happens apart from the Rimmer Experience and the kiss.

International Debris

You know what I was saying about us having the opposite opinions all the time…

Katydid

I’ve traditionally always liked Blue, but I found myself kind of bored with it outside of its strongest scenes the most recent time I watched it.

Hamish

I still don’t get all of the hate for Beyond a Joke myself. The last half of VII is far better than the first four episodes, even with Rimmer gone for most of them.

Ben Saunders

Pretty much what KyoSo said.

And pretty much the exact opposite of what Hamish said.

Ben Saunders

One thing I noticed in Blue is that there is absolutely no peril whatsoever, hardly anything actually happens. Lister feels a bit sad and Kryten builds a rollercoaster. In my notes/review I wrote that after the constant excitement of VI this feels a bit boring, but if the episode was in Series III the progression might feel more natural (with the heaviest rewrites imaginable)

Dave

With the heaviest rewrites imaginable, it could become an episode of Fawlty Towers.

International Debris

That might be what I like about it. I do enjoy the quieter, character-based rambling episodes. Peril isn’t always important.

flanl3

Timewave: The boys consider letting themselves and a whole shipful of people die just because they are annoyed by a gay man.

Ben Paddon

“Blue” is probably the most I-feeling VII episode. I kind of like that about the episode, honestly. I just wish more of the jokes landed.

Hamish

> And pretty much the exact opposite of what Hamish said.

I still stand by it. Blue, Beyond a Joke, Epideme and Nanarchy all benefit by and large by being consistent and having decent production. Tikka, Stoke, and Ouroboros are all over the place.

And Duct Soup is Duct Soup.

Katydid

I feel like I really like Epideme, but at the same time I have this distinct fear that if I watch it again I will just be bored and unimpressed by it. Considering I went through a phase in my early teens where VII was my favorite series (and I think I considered Ouroborus my favorite episode briefly), you have to realize it had a lot further fall as I matured than it did for most of you.

I was impressed by VII’s more filmic directing and (OCCASIONALLY) tone, _especially_ the 24/25 fps picture. I grew up associating 29.97 fps video-look with cheap BBC sitcoms and other extremely low-budget affair, so the 24/25 fps instantly made child me think “movie”. It tricked me into thinking I was seeing something much bigger and more dramatic than I was, and I was happy to fall into the fantasy.

Ben Saunders

I just watched Epideme and Nanarchy there and hey, what do you know, they were pretty good.

Epideme would be brilliant if it wasn’t for that fucking talking virus. Holy shit I hate whoever did the voice for that with a passion, and whoever heard that voice and thought “yes that’s good that’s the voice we’re looking for”. It reminds me of the DJ in Revelation of the Daleks, who also ruins that story.
    Nanarchy starts well but falls off towards the end.

When I was younger I liked the film look of VII, but now I realise that half the time it’s so fucking DARK it doesn’t matter what framerate it’s shot at because you can’t see anything.

Duct Soup is utter cack, but I’ll always love Tikka and Stoke.

I tried to rank them in order but it’s too hard. Basically it goes Tikka>>>>>>>>>>>>Duct Soup

bloodteller

>Timewave: The boys consider letting themselves and a whole shipful of people die just because they are annoyed by a gay man.

CURED- Rimmer considers letting a man die horribly in an asteroid storm just because he’s (pretending to be) disabled.

SILICONIA- Kryten allows his friends to be mindfucked and then forced into slavery just because he is annoyed with them over various petty reasons.

flanl3

Mechocracy: All the machines on board Red Dwarf get annoyed, except all the ones we already knew existed.

Rubber

M-CORP: Lister is partially blinded by white supremacists but learns to love their cause.

Hamish

>Epideme would be brilliant if it wasn’t for that fucking talking virus. Holy shit I hate whoever did the voice for that with a passion, and whoever heard that voice and thought “yes that’s good that’s the voice we’re looking for”.

Hey, I actually LIKE Gary Martin in Epideme.

I guess it is just my mission in life to piss you off, right Ben?

Jawscvmcdia

Hey, I like the shit bits!

flanl3

Skipper – Rimmer gets annoyed at Lister for fucking a rat.

bloodteller

CAN OF WORMS: cat accidentally gets pregnant, so lister murders his babies

bloodteller

oh yeah and everyone is uncharacteristcally annoyed at cat for being impregnated

Ben Saunders

>I guess it is just my mission in life to piss you off, right Ben?
    Grr.

Pete Part Three

Saunders had been pissed off for almost two weeks now and, so far, he hadn’t enjoyed a minute of it.

flanl3

Give & Take: After much debating, Cat finally gets tricked into filling Lister’s hole, before it’s discovered that Cat’s incapable of such and Lister will have to fill it himself.

“Lister offers Cat his hole, and when Cat is unable to fulfill his desires, he sets out to do it himself” is perhaps a bit more to the point.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 121 posts - 1 through 121 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.