Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf X Season Survey

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Here’s a thought – Doctor Who Magazine do a season survey at the end of each season ie who’s the best actor, what’s the episode with the best music, best effects etc. I was just wondering if it would be worth doing that on this site after the transmission of RDX? Just an idea.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

We’ve got plans for a massive, massive poll to be published round about the 15th February next year.

mick
    Participant

I’ve got plans for Cappsy’s massive, massive pole to be introduced round about the 4th May next year.

NoFro
    Participant

I’d love to see an article on the best guest performances in the entirety of Dwarf after X airs. Maybe done like your Top 51 where each member of the team votes for their favourite 5 or 10 or whatever and then an article is written based on that.

And of course I’d love to see where the X episodes rank in your top 51 (or 60 by that point) but it seems you may have plans for something like that.

I’d always thought a tribute to why the DVDs are so fantastic would be great as well. Maybe not something for a fansite because everyone knows they are (I’d still read it though) but I’d love to see an article that just tells people how great they are on denofgeek or a site of a similar ilk. Things like Dwarfing USA, Bodysnatcher, Identity Within, Tikka Remastered, Return to Laredo, Re-Dwarf, the hefty I-BTE documentaries, extended cuts, feature length cuts and even things like Backwards Forwards and the inclusion of Can’t Smeg, Comedy Connections and Dave Hollins are all representative of how the dvds go above and beyond the call of duty. Would love to see some greater recognition of that because I can’t think of anything that comes close to matching those releases.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>I’d always thought a tribute to why the DVDs are so fantastic

Have you tried the reviews?

NoFro
    Participant

I meant more like an overview about how, on the whole, the DVD releases of Red Dwarf have been so exceptional.

Except, y’know, all those vanilla releases they did.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Except, y’know, all those vanilla releases they did.

The mitigating factor there, of course, is that they released them after the full releases.

NoFro
    Participant

True story. And it was still cheaper or pretty much the same price to buy the collector’s editions. They never did do those pastel, individual “Just the Shows” releases for V-VIII did they?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> They never did do those pastel, individual “Just the Shows” releases for V-VIII did they?

I’m not sure, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t. They were utterly pointless.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

“We’ve got plans for a massive, massive poll to be published round about the 15th February next year.”

Excellent stuff, I love massive, massive polls.

Nick R
    Participant

> We’ve got plans for a massive, massive poll

Will it be…. one glorious poll?

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

It already is one glorious poll.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’d always thought a tribute to why the DVDs are so fantastic would be great as well.

I could jabber on and on and on about how awesome the DVDs are and how well stocked they are, how much effort and love went into finding all the archive material that ended up in the documentaries and the photo galleries and the promo stuff. How they bothered to go above and SO far beyond the call of duty when it came to the extras on the DVDs, like the music cues and the such like. I remember getting those first DVDs and the “Launching Red Dwarf” with the cast and crews’ MASSIVE FACES talking about the early days of Red Dwarf, and watching it over and over again because it was people on Dwarf talking about Dwarf about stuff I never knew before.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Agree completely, Danny. When I first heard it was going to be released on DVD, my initial thought was ‘Oh, great, about time, but I bet there’s no extras.’ I still can’t believe how full the DVDs are! Sitcoms in general don’t get the sort of treatment Red Dwarf has got, or any near that. You’ve only got to look at the original Blackadder DVDs or Bottom or The Young Ones or Not The Nine O’ Clock News or basically any other comedy DVD to see how much care has been put into RD.

In comparison, I feel so sorry for Only Fools and Horses fans, as those DVDs are a travesty.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I think the major factor is having a savvy RD fan in charge of the DVD production. You don’t really get that with other releases…

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

All releases deserve that, though. Even the very good Blackadder Remastered boxset could have been hugely improved with an experienced fan. The RD DVDs really show the industry how far they can raise the bar.

fozzibear1
    Participant

just a wild thought, maybe that is a block to movie money, the major studios might have a fear that the post cinematic release will be so superior to literally anything they have ever done it might show up just how lazy their efforts have been on even movie DVD releases. Other than RD and LOTR i’d be stunned if *any* of the commercial DVD’s i’ve got fill even half the disk.
    LOTR is a case in point, like Naylor, Jackson is a fan of his Genre as much as they are producers of it unlike say Rick Berman whose primary interest (and most significant talents) lies in cultural dcumentaries and by his own admission largely fell into the Trek show runner role mainly because he was the most junior producer on the paramount lot at the time TNG was pitched and thus the only one who couldn’t wriggle their way out of a meeting with Rodenberry (luckily for him he also turned out to be one of the few producers on the lot who Rodenberry both liked and more importantly could not easily intimidate).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.