Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Sebby C

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Phil
    Participant

The C is for Comics!!

Anyway, however many years ago, you told me to read Watchmen. Which I did. And I loved it.

And then you told me to read Scott Pilgrim. Which I did. And…you know where this is going.

I’m moving soon and usually when I move I like to bring a new book or something along that I can enjoy while I’m unpacking the rest of my stuff. This time, for whatever reason, I’m in the mood for a graphic novel (or collection) and I’ve been thinking of grabbing V For Vendetta.

But I wanted to open this up to you. Knowing what you know about me and my tastes…is this a good step for me? Or would you recommend something else? I’m not near any particularly great comic shops or anything, so I think it’d have to be something “popular” enough to be stocked at a chain book store. Having said that, though, just recommend whatever you think I’d enjoy, and I’ll worry about tracking it down.

This is open to anyone out there, btw. Seb’s had a good track record suggesting this stuff to me so obviously I’d love his input, but anyone else have any suggestions?

Phil
    Participant

Oh and turnaround time on this would be by the end of the weekend. Obviously if this turns into a longer discussion that’s awesome…but as far as actually recommending something to me for the move, that’s when I’d need it by.

HelloMabel
    Participant

> I’m moving soon

Shit. I was planning a trip to Denver and was going to look you up. Where are you off to?

Phil
    Participant

Not far from Denver. Maybe 30 minutes, if you drive like a maniac.

In fact I’m going to be very close to this now:

Ridley
    Participant

*whispers*100 Bullets*whispers*

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

The short answer is that if you loved Watchmen – and are thus already down with the whole Alan Moore thing – I can’t imagine what you wouldn’t love about V. Especially if you like getting all political and shit.

The only proviso with V is that somewhere around the middle of the series there was a long gap (in actual real-life terms) where it stopped being published in weekly form in the UK in Warrior, and was instead picked up as a monthly book published by DC. The gap marks a point where Moore’s views seem to change somewhat (they get a bit more extreme) and it informs the rest of the book. Simply put, I don’t think the second half of the book is as good as the first, although as ever your mileage may vary. It’s not a major thing but if you notice a weird shift in style, that’s some context as to why.

Anyway, even with that, all things considered it’s a remarkable work. Aside from the above I recommend it almost without reservation.

In agreeing to recommend V I guess my job here is done, but I’m going to chuck you another suggestion from utterly out of leftfield anyway, just in case. Daytripper, by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba.

Phil
    Participant

Manny thanks Seb. Glad to hear V is a good next step…and that Daytripper looks very interesting. I know my bookstore has V but if it also has Daytripper I think I might be grabbing it.

That sounds like precisely the sort of thing I’d respond to…thanks for the recommendation. Not sure I would have heard of it otherwise!

anniescribe
    Participant

OK, just to stick my nose in and add another dimension to this (or yelling, depending on the outcome), how do you feel about the movie version of “V” as compared/opposed to the graphic novel? I haven’t read it, I’ve only seen the movie. Do they have much in common? And what about quality comparison?

Phil
    Participant

Not to distract from Annie’s question (I’m curious too) but, oddly, my bookstore had no more copies of V today, even though earlier in the week they had a bunch. They DID have Daytripper though. So…hmmmm.

Anyway I picked it up, made it through a few pages, and can already tell this is going to be very, very good.

Also probably depressing.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I hate the movie of V so much. It’s got a good cast and there are some things it does right with the whole look and feel, but by god, it’s the most spectacular exercise in point-missing I’ve ever seen. There’s one particular moment at which I genuinely nearly walked out, and that’s the only time I’ve ever felt that way in a cinema. It ends up coming out with a message that’s almost entirely the opposite of the one given by the book, and is single-handedly responsible for Anonymous pricks wearing V masks that make a hefty profit for Warner Bros every time they buy them.

Phil: “depressing” isn’t necessarily the word I’d use for Daytripper, although it’s certainly a bit downbeat at times. But there’s something deliberately ironic, given the subject matter, about how uplifting it ultimately ends up feeling. But it will almost certainly make you a little bit weepy at various points unless you have a heart of utter stone.

Phil
    Participant

I’m about halfway through it now (it may not last me through the move after all…but I picked up a Bradbury anthology just in case, so I’m still good) and I’m genuinely impressed by the way the small moments of warmth manage to fight the larger, darker moments for importance. It’s very well handled, and it feels natural that they do so. There’s one particular scene (which I won’t spoil, in case anyone else here reads it at some point, though I guess the “one particular scene” will vary from reader to reader anyway) that’s just perfectly, sweetly naive…followed maybe two pages later by something thoroughly tragic…and I like the way they just kind of hang there, side by side, with neither being “the” obvious thing to remember. They’re complete opposites, and yet entirely complementary.

I think it’s depressing for me because an awful lot of those darker moments are hitting pretty close to home. After a step back and a re-read (or two) I’ll probably be in better shape to evaluate it for what it is, isolated from what I’m bringing to it.

Then again, I still have a whole half of the book to go.

Blisschick
    Participant

My daughter really loves V, but I got bored with it pretty quickly. I’ve tried to watch it twice now, and just gave up on it. I don’t know exactly why, but it just didn’t grip me. I guess I agree with Seb in that it’s missing the point, and also that it feels like a rip off of Phantom of the Opera in a sense. Maybe I’d get more out of it with the graphic novel.

I’m very intrigued by the sound of Daytripper and Terra. I’ll have to look into those. I haven’t bought a really good book in awhile.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.