Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum So… a 4th Series of Bottom is on the way…

Viewing 79 posts - 1 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/hooligans-island.html

Next year it will be 18 years since Richard Richard “Richie Richard” Richard and Eddie Hitler last graced our television screens.

Long enough for a generation to be born, learn to walk and talk, grow up, go to school, nearly learn to read, leave school and register for job seekers’ allowance all without having experienced the wit and wisdom of two of comedy’s greatest characters.

All that is about to change as we find out what happened to two titans of comedy, Richie and Eddie. Are they still wandering round and round Hammersmith roundabout looking for a safe place to cross? Are they still living in one of the dirtiest and least hygienic flats uncondemned by Health and Safety? Are they still drinking neat furniture polish whilst hitting each other over the head with large metal objects, setting fire to each other’s private parts and other areas as they seek to impress gullible members of the opposite sex, and each other? Or are they down the pub?

No, they are abandoned, lost and shipwrecked on a tropical hell hole that is Hooligans’ Island, although they are still hitting each other over the head with large metal objects, still chasing women, (even though there are none on the island) and still waiting for that job seekers’ allowance cheque as they distil something quite like alcohol, only worse.

And they are back on BBC Two in 2013 for six new 30-minute episodes starring Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson. Be afraid. Be very afraid. And a bit bilious.

Rik Mayall says: “How much am I getting paid? Are there any birds in it? And that horrific arse-brained Edmondson’s not in it again is he? Oh, God help me… no, no, alright then, I’ll do it. That useless, foul smelling waste of space and oxygen is really going to get it this time. This is the big one. Tell the audience to brace themselves.”

Ade Edmondson said: “It’s been a while since I last worked with that complete b****** Rik Mayall and I’m very much looking forward to bashing him about the head with various blunt objects. It’s the only language he understands.”

Commissioned by Janice Hadlow, Controller, BBC Two and Mark Freeland, Head of BBC In-House Comedy, Hooligans’ Island will be a BBC Comedy co-production with Phil McIntyre Television. It will be executive produced by Mark Freeland and produced by Jon Plowman.

I’m excited. I’m really excited!

Alex
    Participant

I just hope so much that it’s more like Hooligan’s Island than the first half of Arse Odyssey. I really want to love this, I just have horrible memories of the second half of Wepons Grade Y-Fronts.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

This is what I thought about. I try to avoid the last 2 live shows.

I saw the movie in the cinema. I quite like it, but the pacing is horribly slow. Some awesome set pieces though…

John Hoare
    Participant

Much like Dwarf, I think the comedy of Bottom can be very fragile, for want of a better word. Do it right, and it’s one of the best things ever. Do it wrong, and I find it virtually unwatchable.

All three series of Bottom are some of my favourite comedy ever, but yeah, the later live shows worry me. Plus, something died in me the day I saw Rik Mayall parading around as Hitler…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Did Rik do that in the live shows?

John Hoare
    Participant

Did Rik do that in the live shows?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2109380.stm

Alex
    Participant

Yes, it was a great disappointment to discover he was a total right wing cunt. I had much the same wave of disappointment when I switched on BBC News late at night and found Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden discussing his right wing political views.

Jimboid
    Participant

Ooooohhhhh dear. I remember going to see An Arse Oddity live and being disappointed that they were still on the island…apparently having had no original ideas since the previous live show 4 years earlier. Sure enough, it was a tedious grind of the same jokes on the same set.

Now here we are 12 years after that….and they’re still on the island.

This does not bode well.

pfm
    Participant

> I just have horrible memories of the second half of Wepons Grade Y-Fronts.

Yeah…the first half was pretty good, I thought, but then it was like they decided they were just gonna stand and act like dicks for 50 minutes for the second. Yeah, you could stay standing and acting like dicks is their entire act…but, usually they’re dicks with at least some purpose and finesse…:P

Considering how much Mayall and Edmonson have criticised the BBC for not giving them the 4th series of Bottom it’s surprising to see this actually happen… but can we get a fuck yeah!! Can’t wait to see what madness they come up with!

MANI506
    Participant

Love the BBC series and the first two live shows. No idea why it wasn’t funny any more.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Hooligan’s Island was the last good thing they did really. Like I said I liked the film, as it’s sort of a different kind of Bottom, and i can accept that, but it just dragged its arse so much…

Jimboid
    Participant

I don’t even remember Weapons Grade Y-Front…just checked the DVD cabinet and I do in fact have it and must have watched it…but have no memory of it.

Was it set on the island?

The first two live shows were brilliant, the best part of the third were the apparent fuck ups…though disappointed to subsequently discover that these were all pre-rehearsed and not as off the cuff as they appeared. Not great when you have to stage gaffes to subsidise the gags.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

I always preferred the series to the live shows because in the live shows, the plot was so thin it was almost non-existant. In the last couple of live shows, it WAS non-existant as far as i recall. The last one especially. In fact i was rather embarrassed by the last one because it rehashed not only old gags from Bottom and other Bottom Lives, but they also went into some routine about becoming their characters from The Young Ones which i just found embarrassing.

The series (and the film) always had the funny innuendos and hitting each other in funny ways routines, but also had at least a minimal plot to get the show moving. That’s why i loved it.

Though i’m not sure what milage they can get out of ‘Hooligans Island’. They HAVE to have other people on it, otherwise what could they do?

Carlito
    Participant

I went to see Weapons Grade Y-Fronts in Cardiff C.I.A. and literally fell asleep. Saying that, the only other show I ever saw in the C.I.A. was Ricky Gervais ‘Fame’ and I think I fell asleep in that too. Something about that damn C.I.A.

I used to love Bottom, and the live stage shows inspired me and my friend to take drama classes in school and basically turn them into our own personal comedy hour each week in an attempt to emulate the fun those two seemed to be having at their craft.

That said, the film was mediocre and the last two stage shows weak. Apparently the fourth series of Bottom was written before it was cancelled; if they’ve convinced the Beeb to give them another go round, why not just exhume those scripts? (On the basis that they were written in the mid 90s when Mayall and Edmondson still had the spark for those characters).

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I need to rip the audio from the Bottom DVDs. I remember how well they work as an audiodrama. Strange really, when a lot of the comedy comes from a physical visual style.

pfm
    Participant

We can assume that at least some of the material they were gonna do in the 4th series was used for the original ‘Hooligan’s Island’ stage show. Though who knows, maybe they’re gonna rehash all that again?? :P

How are the BBC actually gonna produce this series, seeing as it’s set on the island? Will this mean they’re gonna have to spend some money on a sitcom??? :o and it’s not a Christmas special of something???? O.O oh the horror!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I remember almost nothing of Bottom, despite watching it religiously as a kid. I saw, I think, one of the live shows which did nothing for me, though, I couldn’t tell you which one it was (it was set on an island though, so who nose?). I only ever saw bits of the movie.

Wait, no, hang on. I can vaguely remember bits of episodes – the pair being stuck on a ferris wheel… and also a bit with Robert Llewellyn in it.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I seriously recommend anyone to watch at least the 3 series of Bottom as they’re excellent.

si
    Participant

I very rarely watched Bottom, for some reason. I have a boxset of the Live shows – a fried chicken box-alike – which I haven’t watched in years. I remember going to see the film, but remember absolutely nothing about it, so it must’ve made a great impression on me…

Having said all that, I am quite looking forward to this new series. I guess silly old men farting about appeals to me – that’s why I love Vic and Bob.

Alex
    Participant

A depressing party trick I used to have was being able to recite the whole script of Hole (the ferris wheel episode) on request. I can’t say it was a trick that was in great demand.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Really not sure how I felt reading the news. Sort of shouting YES! and NO! In my head at the same time. Then I worked out what it’s like, for me it’s like being told yor favourite grandparents are coming back from australia, during the week the country was rioting! You remember them fondly but you worry they are not going to be able to handle getting a kicking, and they wont escape the public with much intact for having made the journey!

Last thing Rik did that I enjoyed was the new statesman play, That was what 2005?
    and I enjoyed Ade’s ITV sitcom and his new direction in music, where I finally got to meet him, and I just fear Rik’s past it, and ade’s better with the moves he made to other entertainment. I’ve so much more faith that their is character and more to mine further in Red Dwarf and Alan Partridge, where as Fast Show and Bottom feel so much more run the course as comedy I rarely revisit though much loved.

Ridley
    Participant

I can’t say it was a trick that was in great demand.

If only you had joined G&T sooner!

Connell
    Participant

Oh god, why the Island? This could be fantastic news if they just went back to the grotty old flat we all know and love. Please!

Pecospete666
    Participant

Now you made me buy it 20.38 used! Full bottom!
    I liked the Young Ones so I should like this.

Carlito
    Participant

> A depressing party trick I used to have was being able to recite the whole script of Hole (the ferris wheel episode) on request. I can’t say it was a trick that was in great demand.

Me and a mate used to do the same with Queeg.

MANI506
    Participant

Slip Digsby! The organist?

Well, that’s not what they called him in court.

Ferris Wheel episode is the best!

Alex
    Participant

I few years ago Stork margarine genuinely ran a competition where they asked their customers to complete the sentence, ‘I like Stork Margarine because…’.

I liked the Young Ones so I should like this.

I’ve always thought Bottom was a better show to be honest. It’s certainly aged much better. I find that trying to watch The Young Ones theses days is more of an act of nostalgia as it is often a comedy of its time, whereas Bottom has more of a timeless quality due to the bleak Beckett like set up of two men with nothing to do but kill time. It’s not suprising that at around the same time they were making Bottom, Rik and Ade were also in a production of Waiting For Godot.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The BBC is interested in the type of audience that Bottom used to attract.

Jonsmad
    Participant

The 4 million audience wasnt it? Half of what the last Dwarf got on BBC. Isnt that right?

MANI506
    Participant

Bottom is funnier than The Young Ones but thanks to an article from Noise To Signal I found out that Filthy Rich and Catflap is at least as good as those two shows if not better.

Jimboid
    Participant

Bottom > Young Ones > FR&CF

(IMHO).

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Young Ones > FR&CF > Bottom

WORTHWHILE DISCUSSION.

John Hoare
    Participant

YOUNG ONES = FR&CF = BOTTOM

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

Sort of following on from John’s article about sitcom production value, Bottom had some great studio sets in its time. One of the ones that stood out for me was the ‘Finger’ episode in Series 3 when they go to the ‘Marveloso Splendido Hotelo’. There’s a scene where they steal a car and Richie accidentally reverses into an off license and completely screws it up. Is that actually a TV set? If so, its a bloody good one!

In fact here’s a clip of it:

MANI506
    Participant

Great set in the Gas episode as well of the outside of the flat, Wimbledon common as well and of course the ferris wheel itself. Whoever the set designer was they did some exceptional work.

John Hoare
    Participant

Absolutely. Exactly what I was banging on about.

And yes, that scene where they reverse into the off-license is definitely a studio set. It’s amazing. Better than the standing sets for the new Yes, Prime Minister revival – and just for one scene!

Pecospete666
    Participant
    si
    Participant

Ooh, a news story from two years ago. Ta everso.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Don’t get The Young Ones at all. Really like some episodes of Bottom. Never seen Filthy, Rich and Catflap

Pecospete666
    Participant

Sorry the date at the top was todays!
    I did not see the other date!
    Vogans clouding my vision!

VoGONs. VoGONS. This madness has gone on long enough!

si
    Participant

It’s Vogon on long enough.

pfm
    Participant

That street set is bloody amazing! I wonder if they hijacked it from another show or something, as it’s pretty extreme just for the scene… It reminds me of some of the brilliant Seinfeld sets like the parking garage and tennis court.

HelloMabel
    Participant

> It reminds me of some of the brilliant Seinfeld sets like the parking garage and tennis court.

*rifles through Seinfeld images on Google*
    G&T is turning me from a music nerd into a TV nerd. And I like it.

> VoGONs. VoGONS.

G&T is no longer interested in the type of speller Red Dwarf used to attract.

locusceruleus
    Participant

The first half of Weapons Grade Y-Fronts was great. The second half, a total letdown. I even got a pic with Rik after, in between him trying to get off with my and everyone else’s girlfriend.

Must admit, I wish they were doing the ‘old men in a nursing home beating the shit out of each other with colostomy bags’ idea rather than more Hooligan’s Island, but as long as they bring something fresh to it, I’m all for it. TV needs Rik & Ade.

John Hoare
    Participant

Must admit, I wish they were doing the ‘old men in a nursing home beating the shit out of each other with colostomy bags’ idea

I NOW REALLY WISH THIS WAS HAPPENING THANKS

Carlito
    Participant

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a430895/rik-mayall-ade-edmondson-scrap-new-bottom-series-hooligans-island.html

It’s been scrapped. Don’t know if I’m disappointed or relieved really. I was mostly interested out of curiosity I suppose.

Bezzy
    Participant

I love Bottom but im glad it isnt coming back. This world has become far too PC to appreciate its british humour these days and if all that was taken out it wouldnt be as funny.

MANI506
    Participant

I know that Bottom got unfunny with the third live show but what of Guest House Paradiso? I’ve only seen it once and can’t remember anything about it. Is it as bad as I assume it is?

Carlito
    Participant

Guest House Paradiso is funny in parts, just a bit dull. An example of a comedy style that feels a little flat without an audible audience reaction.

Also, I thought the third live show Hooligan’s Island was funny, it was the fourth and fifth shows that were shit.

Weapons Grade was hilarious!

Plastic Percy
    Participant

There are some nice bits in ‘Guest House Paradiso’. I do quite like the bit at the start where Richey tries to pin a badge to his lapel and just ends up sticking it through his breast.

Reece
    Participant

FEEEEB, ONE BOILED EGG.

locusceruleus
    Participant

Damn, I really was looking forward to it.

Still, best they realise it’s not working at the writing stage than we do when it’s broadcast.

Connell
    Participant

All three series of Bottom are instant classics, and have very little faults, akin to the first 2 live shows. After the third or fourth quality certainly did decline and I’m not too much of a fan of the later stuff.. however I do have a soft spot for Guest House Paradiso and It’s a rather splendid quirky adaptation.

I too am not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed! It’s one of those things you’d want to see out of curiosity, but then if it was dreadful you’d wish it didn’t exist.

locusceruleus
    Participant

Remember years ago, Rik & Ade both said a 3rd series of Bottom had been written but the BBC weren’t interested? I always wondered if that was true. Would certainly be nice to get a script book or something like that if so.

But… there was a 3rd series of Bottom?

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

I think locusceruleus means 4th series. Rik and Ade did indeed write a 4th series, which, according to Rik Mayall, was rejected by ‘some lesbian bitch.’ Charming man!

It would be good to see those scripts released, or for them just to make them instead of ‘Hooligan’s Island.’ Presumably, the 4th series was written when they still had a bit of magic, before they plumbed the depths of unfunny with the last two live shows. If ‘Hooligan’s Island’ could be as terrible as those, maybe it’s for the best that it doesn’t happen.

pfm
    Participant

Damn…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I am relieved that this isn’t happening. Relieved.

The fourth series would’ve been nice to see as it was written off the momentum of the first three.

I wouldn’t mind a new Young Ones series.

WHAT.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Glad ade is not going back. Hes got a new direction in light hearted music Im glad for him.

My dad said something to me about Edmonson having turned into a pretentious twat in recentish years. What are people’s thoughts on that?

pfm
    Participant

I bet the BBC (the root-of-all-evil, paedophile-harbouring, building 7-predicting, NWO-whoring organization they blatantly may or may not be, in some people’s unfounded and, ultimately, irrelevant opinions :P) were ultimately to blame for this not happening.

I want to believe that Rik and Ade realised they couldn’t do this new series justice without taking it elsewhere (e.g. Ch4) which they won’t do, probably so as not to fuck up any relationship with the BBC (mainly in Ade’s case, cause remember that could affect Jennifer Saunders and their production company, Mr & Mrs Monsoon). I’m sure it would have been very easy for Rik and Ade to fall out over these details and just decide not to do it at all.

A Bailey
    Participant

I wouldn’t mind a new show in the style of Bottom, but not exactly a followup to it.

Much like Bottom took the formula from The Young Ones but wasn’t actually the same show, I’d like to see a Rik and Ade show that featured them as aging men getting grumpier and grumpier at the world.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Adrian Edmonson is no longer interested in the type of audience Bottom used to attract.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Interesting that the reason it’s not coming back may be because of quality issues, when Jennifer Saunders has let Absolutely Fabulous carry on well past its sell by date. Ab Fab should have ended with The Last Shout, when it was still brilliant. A rare one or two bright spots aside, Series 4 onwards has been a disaster.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

“All three series of Bottom are some of my favourite comedy ever”

Yes, absolutely. If I had to list favourite episodes it would be:

Gas
    Bottom’s Up
    Accident
    Digger
    Culture
    Holy
    ‘s out
    Hole
    Finger
    Carnival

Worst one would have to be:

Parade (what’s THAT all about?)

In particular, Culture contains classic gag after classic gag all the way through, as does Hole.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

You missed Contest, which is probably my favorite episode. Here’s a question to Bottom fans, was Contest meant to be the pilot? It seems like one…

MANI506
    Participant

I’ve always felt that Contest was the first recorded – no evidence to back this up though.

Might watch the series again this weekend. Digger and Hole are two of the strongest I think.

I love Parade! Sad Ken is classic!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

To me there are some very different ideas and joke types in that episode. It’s brilliant.

Eddie: ‘What are these black bits all over the place?”
    Richie: “it’s just a couple of greenfly for heaven’s sake, they’re dead now, they’ve been under the grill for ages… really! i watched them pop…”

Eddie: “Hey, I’ve just had a FANTASTIC idea…” *downs his pint*
    Richie: “………….Well?”
    Eddie: “………….What?”
    Richie: “What was the fantastic idea?”
    Eddie: “To drink *that*”

Eddie: “Well, I shall leave you ‘Mabel’, but I feel it right to warn you that if your nephew reads anymore “art magazines”. you very well may go blind.”

Fucking awesome

I can’t possibly rate them, other than noticing that Contest for me has some fucking cracking performances, but the ones that stand out for me are the kind of setting pieces like ‘Hole’ and ‘S Out where they can interact with different things other than the flat.

p2p_productions
    Participant

SHE’S GOT A TATTOO ON HER FACE!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

WELL, STOP SMILING YOU STUPID COW…

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

“You missed Contest, which is probably my favorite episode. Here’s a question to Bottom fans, was Contest meant to be the pilot? It seems like one…”

Oh bugger, I was supposed to include Contest, but completely forgot. Yes it’s completely brilliant and the Wikipedia entry speculates on that being the first episode. Both characters have slightly different hair and I think it makes a point of setting up stall and introducing the situation. Richie even says at one point ‘I think I’ve reached my Bottom.’

Every time I watch Parade I just find it really odd. There’s something a bit ‘off’ about some of the performances. Can’t really explain it.

Classic exchange from ‘Hole’:

RICHIE STARES OFF INTO THE DISTANCE.

‘RICHIE: You know, if we ever pull through to the other side of this one, I’m gonna change the way I live. Get myself back to Blighty, find myself a piece of land. Find myself a beautiful woman. Heck, maybe even raise some kids!

EDDIE: Nah, quit dreaming. We’re not gonna pull through to the other side of this one, Skip.

RICHIE: You’ve got to dream, Eddie! YOU’VE GOT TO HOLD ON TO THE DREAM!

EDDIE: Can I ask you a question?

RICHIE: Shoot from the hip, baby, that’s always been you’re style.

EDDIE: Well, I suppose it’s kinda out of left field. But my question is this: WHY ARE WE TALKING SUCH COMPLETE AND UTTER BOLLOCKS????

On the page, it doesn’t sound anywhere near as funny. But Mayall and Edmondson’s delivery and timing is so faultless.

Also:

RICHIE: My mother used to make sandwiches for the Hammersmith Conservative Association!

EDDIE: Yeah, but nobody used to eat them, did they?

RICHIE: They did, they did! What about the guy who got the convulsions and the permanent brain damage?

EDDIE: Well, he’s president of the Board of Trade now, isn’t he?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’d like to see the scripts for these fabled 4th series.

I know that scripts books exists for Series 1 and 2 anyone know of one for Series 3?

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

I’ve searched before for script books for series 3 and the unmade series 4, but no luck. Danny, you and I should really go out for a pint at some point! :)

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

i have a memory of reading somewhere that ‘Contest’ was indeed the pilot episode. What gives it away is the hairstyles (Richies is shorter, Eddie actually has some) but also it is the only show in the run shot on old BBC tube cameras. Can’t remember for the life of me where i read it though.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

By the way, if you’re into such things (it is an acquired taste) i highly recommend these vids where some bloke has edited Bottom episodes. I dunno why but i find them really amusing for some reason :D

Here’s the one for ‘Parade’. With a bit of Red Dwarf added for good measure :)

Reece
    Participant

some bloke has edited Bottom episodes

You can’t beat Bottom YTPs. :P

Viewing 79 posts - 1 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.