Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum When do you think they should officially finish the show?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Antipodean
    Participant

Now that Red Dwarf’s been revived, how much longer do you think they should keep doing new episodes? Taking into account the actors’ ages and all that.

Personally I reckon that after Series X they could do one more, but then they really should give the show a definitive ending. Either finish on Series XI or another multi-part special instead. If they make it immediately after Series X it’d come out in 2013, which makes a total run of 25 years — seems like a nice round number, there.

betelgeuse
    Participant

HHmm this is a difficult one as i think the characters and actors could keep on going for at least another 3 series, but Naylor and co have waisted too much time, or maybe too much time has been waisted by idiots not commisioning the show earlier, and really we should have more series of red dwarf. However, as I said, as long as Naylor is prolific and returns to form with his writing I think that the guys have 3 series in them and hopefully a movie at the end of that. To be honest I have come to that conclusion becaus eth dwarf lads have kept in good shape and look 5 years younger than they are, and BTE looked much more aesthetically better than I thought.

Carlito
    Participant

I think ‘the current generation’ has another couple of seasons in them at least… the franchise itself could have decades, if exploited in a meaningful way rather than as a cash-in. A completely new show set in the Red Dwarf universe would be incredibly interesting to the fans, but would need to stand on its own two feet as a ‘new show on t’telly’ to first-time viewers too… but I would love to see it. Done well.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

In about 1993.

pfm
    Participant

> In about 1992.

Yes, you’re right.

JamesTC
    Participant

Yestomorrow.

Ridley
    Participant

Between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I don’t know. BtE proved the actors can all still successfully play the parts….I would say probably until they can’t do it anymore and/or until they stop getting shows commisioned. They should still keep going…provided they can keep the funny coming.

I look forward to seeing the characters as they grow older and wiser and more mature….ha!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Craig is at the age now that Rob and Doug originally imagined Lister to be when penning the series way back in the 80s (or so I’m told), so I don’t see things coming to a halt any time soon.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>the franchise itself could have decades, if exploited in a meaningful way rather than as a cash-in. A completely new show set in the Red Dwarf universe would be incredibly interesting to the fans

This is complete bullshit, by the way. As much as it’s tempting to turn Red Dwarf into an all-conquering Star Wars-esque expanded universe, it is -plain and simple -a sitcom, the strengths of which are solid characters and a tried and tested cast, neither of which would be present in some “next generation” bollocks. What you’re looking for is some other show; it’s certainly not Red Dwarf.

>>In about 1992.

Woah, harsh. Who said that?

si
    Participant

The idea of a spin-off is nonsense. The show is about the last human being and his dead bunkmate. Anything else ‘in the Dwarf-verse’ as it were would just be pointless. I think another couple of series would be feasible, but the simple fact is that it can’t go on forever, and it would be silly to try and let it. I do think however, that when it does end, while not leaving anything hanging, it should end with the crew just going about their usual day to day mishaps, not with some grand epilogue (reaching Earth, going back in time, Lister dying etc). I like the idea of Our intrepid band of Smegheads carrying on up there, even if we can’t see them.

JamesTC
    Participant

> I do think however, that when it does end, while not leaving anything hanging, it should end with the crew just going about their usual day to day mishaps, not with some grand epilogue (reaching Earth, going back in time, Lister dying etc). I like the idea of Our intrepid band of Smegheads carrying on up there, even if we can’t see them.

Something like the end of ‘Back to Reality’ or ‘Back to Earth’ is what I am hoping for. If they did end the show at ‘Back to Reality’ (glad they didn’t!) it would have been a perfect end.

Of course I don’t want the show to end for a long while yet, the show has had a resurgence and I hope this means another 3 or 4 series at least, after having no hope of the show continuing through 2004-2008 I am now pumped with confidence of its continued success and continuation now.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>This is complete bullshit, by the way.

Apologies Carl, that was overly dismissive and rude. Was drunk, and had just got on the wrong train.

hummingbird
    Participant

The fact that Doug still won’t give any hints about the movie script shows (I hope) that he still hasn’t given up on it, so I’d like to see that script filmed before the show finally ends. I’m not optimistic enough to presume that they’d ever raise the money to do a full-blown movie, but if they had the means to make a feature-length TV movie then that would be nice.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

While I enjoy the wider stuff that the books explore (the stuff with Saunders, Ace’s parallel dimension and so on), because they do it well, I’d have to agree with the notion that Dwarf simply doesn’t have an “expanded universe”. Spinoff fiction would be almost entirely pointless. The show is about that particular group of characters (a slightly malleable group, but a core group nevertheless), and lives or dies by them. It’s firmly not Wars or Trek.

(although that said, playing the RPG was quite good fun)

si
    Participant

I’ve still never played the RPG. I bought the book, and devised a character, but never played it.

Dave
    Participant

Craig is not in the 80s.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

A single spin off episode could work….a Jim and Bexley story….but not as a whole seperate series

IMO of course…

Fluffy Wok
    Participant

I took my version of the RPG to be signed at this DJ as it was the only thing I thought to grab that was big enough to write lots of names in and had all the guests who were there in one item. Chris Barrie took a quick flick through it saying he’d never seen it before and John Lenahan started talking about how he loved D and D and used to play Magic the Gathering back in the day.

I’ve only played it twice, GMing (or AI ing as its described in the book) both times because I was trying to teach the rules to the Mrs and her brother. first scenario I ever wrote up was Ace saving a princess from a nazi bunker and he kicked so much arse it was ludicrous, especially when he saved a Kinatawowi from a cell who tags along like Chewie, ripping the arms off helpless nazis.

The second game was Rimmer and Cat running around on a derelict being chased by a mutton vindaloo beast and poor Rimsy can only crap his pants behind a box until the Cat made himself look big and scared it off.

redhead85
    Participant

> first scenario I ever wrote up was Ace saving a princess from a nazi bunker and he kicked so much arse it was ludicrous, especially when he saved a Kinatawowi from a cell who tags along like Chewie, ripping the arms off helpless nazis.

You’ve gotta admit it – we couldn’t have had a more fun afternoon unless it involved sex.

Ridley
    Participant

> first scenario I ever wrote up was Ace saving a princess from a nazi bunker and he kicked so much arse it was ludicrous, especially when he saved a Kinatawowi from a cell who tags along like Chewie, ripping the arms off helpless nazis.

You’ve gotta admit it – we couldn’t have had a more fun afternoon unless it involved sex.

“What a guy!”

Carlito
    Participant

Yes, I know Red Dwarf as we know it is about the characters and their situation, but Grant & Naylor have crafted their own little universe, and there are endless possibilities to expand on that, especially some of the stuff we see in the books. As I stressed, “done well” it could be interesting.

A spin-off could be set aboard Red Dwarf a couple of hundred years after the death of the original crew, with some new characters to explore (and maybe Kryten to bridge the gap). It could be set away from the ship: before the accident, on one of the colonies maybe… or even on Earth. If only I could envisage anybody else playing Lister (I wouldn’t wish to see that) it would be interesting to see the Earth that Lister originated from. Or his exploits on Mimas. Or Rimmer’s upbringing on Io. It could be set aboard another vessel all together – one we’ve seen already or one we haven’t. As long as the new characters were as well realised as the originals and it was funny, why not?

It all hinges on the crucial “done well” – I wouldn’t even want to see more Dwarf if it wasn’t done well, let alone anything else within that universe.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

A spin-off could be set aboard Red Dwarf a couple of hundred years after the death of the original crew, with some new characters to explore (and maybe Kryten to bridge the gap)

So the show would cut away to Kryten tending to the decomposing bodies of the dead crew of the Nova 5 every so often? I doubt you’d be able to work a decent narrative around that device.

Carlito
    Participant

Eh? That’s not what I meant at all.

Carlito
    Participant

Sorry, by “original crew” I meant Lister, Rimmer and Cat. My bad.

si
    Participant

Or the exploits of Rimmer and Lister as youngsters. We could reach the giddy heights of ‘First of the Summer Wine’.

Prue
    Participant

I like ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ (have only managed to get series 19 and 20 on dvd via the UK, so now I have from series 1 to 20!) – is there a ‘First of the Summer Wine’? Tell me more? Going by your comment, I could take it as sarcasm and assume it is crap?

We never had ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ on tv here (Australia), as far as I know. I had to hear about it through others. So all info is good.

Oh yeah, and don’t laugh at my naivety!

Antipodean
    Participant

There’s something about a spin-off of Red Dwarf that just seems kind of… odd to me, and I think it’s to do with Red Dwarf being both a sci-fi show and a comedy show.

When comedy shows have spin-offs, they almost always do it by taking one or two characters from the original and putting them in a different setting or situation (which is the most common type of spin-off, really). But it seems to me that such an approach wouldn’t really work with Red Dwarf — partly because the characters work best playing off each other, but also because the show has covered such a vast amount of ground in itself. I mean, compare early Series 1 to late Series VII — the setting is different, the style is different, the premise of the show has changed, and the only two original characters remaining are Lister and the Cat.

(I can actually think of one opportunity they had for doing that kind of spin-off: what with Captain Hollister being a main character in Series VIII, and that series also featuring lots of other crew members [Thornton, Ackerman, Dr Karen Whatsername, Dr Lucas McClaren, etc.], they could’ve done a spin-off set in the escape fleet of Starbugs & Blue Midgets. But twelve years on it’s a bit late for that now.)

Science fiction shows which do spin-offs are a bit broader with their approach — they don’t necessarily always do the continuing-characters thing, and can occasionally leap a hundred years in the future or fifty years in the past. Red Dwarf could do a spin-off like Carlito suggested, perhaps set on Earth or a colony or a different ship or whatever. But the thing is, given how little we really know about the Earth or solar system from the show itself, there seems little point in making it a spin-off at all.

Ridley
    Participant

A show set on the world established in Back to Reality could be interesting.

si
    Participant

Maybe. A horror state where youngsters need to steal to eat, people are penniless, and the law is useless.

You could do that as a reality show.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

SATIRES.

Gwynnie
    Participant

I think one of the things that makes Dwarf so amazing is the Lister/Rimmer dynamic. Add in new actors and it would just be a generic sitcom set in space, which – while possibly being funny – would not be Red Dwarf.

I personally vote for cloning the actors ASAP, so that by the time the current cast are too old/senile to make more series, the younger versions will be ripe and ready to go again. Think of the possibilities.

si
    Participant

A few hundred Slash stories been written about those possibilities.

clem
    Participant

> I like ‘Last of the Summer Wine’

Then you might like this new blog from my mate Andrew and Bob Fischer, author of Wiffle Lever to Full! http://ftgetgo.wordpress.com/

Prue
    Participant

Thanks for the link – I enjoyed reading that blog! Have now bookmarked it and await their next installment! I have only seen from series 1 to 20 – can’t wait to watch the rest!!!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.